1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am pretty reluctant to go to Pride with my boyfriend

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

So I am visiting my boyfriend who is on placement in Toronto; the week I have picked is the same week that pride is on there and he wants me to go with him.

I never really like Pride and I just don't understand why its still a thing. I mean I don't feel the need to be proud about anything that I haven't worked for, same goes for Patriotism etc. . I only have a UK passport because I need one to travel, its just a travel document to me nothing more.

2. Hexagon

I see pride as a statement against the oppression we're received, in the same way that the only kind of nationalism I can ever support is in fighting against colonial powers.

3. Beware Of You

Except its Canada...

4. Hexagon

Queers aren't 100% accepted anywhere. Even Canada.

5. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me it is just about being proud. Everytime I meet new people I have to go through the process of coming out to them and it being really awkward for a while as they think "does he want to f**k me?" or suddenly stop talking to me because i'm gay. That can make you feel really bad about yourself so for me Pride is a way of replying to that by saying "yes i am gay and i love it", it's a massive boost of self esteem. As well as that is the feeling i got last pride of seeing so much diversity in one place whether they were transgender or LGB it truly made me feel part of something. Also we rarely see older gay couples in public and when you see them at pride it gives me something to admire...
    so for those reasons I like pride and believe that's why it's still a thing

6. Beware Of You

I don't feel any pride in anything maybe thats my problem. I was pretty meh at my own MSc graduation last week, and thats something I worked for.

I had nothing to do with LGBT rights so why do I have to feel pride in it?

7. Hexagon

Neither do I. But I can still support an oppressed group.

8. Jason29

Maybe its the fact that others have done this for you that you should be proud. Others that had to fight for the right to be who they wanted.

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's called Pride because it is the opposite of shame. It has nothing to do with what you have done, it is simply meant as a chance to change how you see yourself.

If you feel no shame for being LGBT, then perfect! However, there are still many who do...can you help them out? There are countries where being gay can kill you...Can you be there if only to show them and the world that we exist and that we will not go away?

10. Beware Of You

Whats also knocking me off is that my boyfriend wants to "show me off" , I hate attention. My parents had to drag me to my own frigging graduation. I just wanted the degree posted to me

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I actually had a laugh at this, since frankly I identify perfectly with both those sentiments.

That being said - out of curiosity, have you ever actually been to or around a pride parade?

My feelings toward them were much the same, but when I actually passed by one (which was an accident - we had no idea pride was that day), I found myself quite intrigued. I couldn't count a soul who didn't have a grin from ear-to-ear. It seemed as if, with all judgement removed, everyone could just be themselves. It created an atmosphere of pure happiness, really, and was pretty awesome to observe.

Anyhow, just thought I'd randomly chime in. You might actually find it enjoyable, but there's no guarantee. I'd would also be pissed off if a SO told me they wanted me to go somewhere so they could "show me off" (in fact, were they wishing to gain my favor that would be precisely what not to say), so I can understand the feeling.

#11 Browncoat, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  12. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I've been proud maybe once in my entire life. It's not because I haven't done anything pride worthy, it's just not one of the emotions I'm capable of feeling. That being said, I don't think gay pride is as much about literally being proud as much as it is about refusing to be shamed.

13. thevenerable

Southeast Asia - yeah it's not just South and East
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think the only wrong thing about the Pride is the male strippers or whatever you call them on floats. It sends a wrong message.

14. awesomeness

Who cares? Just see it as a big party, you don't need to look so much into it lol

15. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That does tend to draw attention to the physical side of sexuality, which makes some people want to wave their arms and say "I'm gay, but not THAT kind of gay". BUT, it is only one aspect of being gay, which straight people also have to get used to, the same way that conservative straight people have to get used to big-boobed women in bikini swimsuits in homecoming parades. Flamboyants should probably should be in a Pride parade, as well as good looking men in swimsuits on the appropriate kind of floats if they "got it and want to flaunt it", but not the predominant theme of a Pride event, because they are not the predominant kind of gay people, just one part of the overall rainbow we need people to accept as part of their community.

16. DancingGirl

I have gone to our Pride before I even realized I am queer. I wanted to show support to people I love. People who went through so much to reach a point in their lives to feel good about themselves. It is a celebration. It is fun. Seeing all those happy faces. Its a place to meet new people. It is abtout being Proud of who you are. If it is gay, lesbian, bi, trans, pan, curious or just straight and proud of those who face it everyday. Try it just once.