1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has your sexuality/gender identity affected your standing in the workplace?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by QueerTransEnby, Jun 16, 2014.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you ever been fired for being LGBT or passed up for a promotion, denied a raise etc?

2. straightqueer20

no one knows really. People gather what they want from how I look. But I've never told anyone in fact now they think I'm straight sorta now since I have a girlfriend. My last boyfriend I never really said he was my bf. I never really have showed my partners around but I wouldn't lie either it's just never come up in my work environment.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

To keep it simple, no.

To elaborate, they assume I'm just a very dedicated individual. I've ruffled a few feathers with the head librarians, who enjoy to gossip, because I won't partake in workplace whispers, about other employees or myself. The assistant head librarian has said, she thinks I must be asexual (jokingly) because of how I never discuss others, in a romantic or pining-for manner. I guess that counts as something, ha.

Ultimately, I'm there to do my (easy as hell) job. I'm not there to cater to their ideals.

4. DangerAlex

I'm a freelancer and pretty much self-employed, and that's not something I market to prospective clinic. So no, can't say I have. But I know it happens.

5. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I'm IN THE CLOSET at work but I have a lot of co-workers that are openly gay and they've gotten promoted and raises so thankfully I work at a cool place :sunglasses:

6. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Lots'o lady lovers in the animal care industry. Ever been to pet expo? The amount of flannel there is dizzying.

7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No--I'm in investment banking. Not only am I out but the firm insures my partner, he comes to company events, etc.

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Nope I'm still closeted , only one person on my current job knows I'm a lesbian if I were to come out I know I would be treated coldly by most of my coworkers

9. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

*Google search*

APRIL 11TH?! I MISSED IT??! WHAT IF MY LADY LOVE WAS THERE....... ?

But yeah there's lots of chill people in animal care, good way to meet people, they're generally very welcoming <3

10. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

It was really fun. Plenty of free things, and AJ got lots of attention. I got winked at about fifty times :wink:

11. mangotree

I think being gay might have actually helped me to move up in the workplace.
    I can't think of any negatives that have come up about it.

* Most of my "big bosses" are very attractive women, and being gay - I think I'm a little bit more relaxed around them than other guys are.
    * I think it means they find me less "threatening" too.
    * I don't get bogus rumours spread around about me sleeping with female coworkers like some of my colleagues do.
    * One of my main qualifications (in Sign Language) would have never happened if I'd never dated a Deaf guy :slight_smile:

Peace!

12. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't been fired or discriminated against for being gay and I wouldn't hesitate to begin legal action against my employer if it happened. In the UK, LGBT people are protected from discrimination under the Equality Act, so the law is in our favour.

I have colleagues who clearly dislike me for being gay, but I don't give a toss. They know better than to cross the line.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are lucky, my friend. I wish I could say the same. I don't give a toss either, though I would probably say "I don't give a rip" in American vernacular. My situation dealt with a negative affirmation rather than a positive affirmation. This meant my not coming to events which required bringing a date, not playing golf, not keeping up with sports scores and discussing them by the water cooler, not having sloppy writing, and my choice of music, quite varied actually, which I listened to and not too loudly if I worked later in the evenings or came in on a Saturday morning. They were angered that I wasn't "up front" during the interview. Well, you didn't exactly ask me what sports I played, followed, and what my tastes in music were. Nor did you ask me my civil status. Here, it's on a state by state basis. Also, I had to look at the context of litigation relative to other things that were going on in my life as I was already juggling too much.

More protection is coming in the U.S. and to more states. However, that's on paper. People will still be people. If this sort of stuff happens, I recommend that people keep a diary, copies of e-mails, and anything like that to build a case. The law will not deter some people from crossing boundaries. Those people are either stupid or warped, and oftentimes both.

14. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, never. There are other openly gay people at my workplace - both men & women - and nobody is discriminated against, and we all get along really well. I don't think an employer would dare fire someone for their sexuality at least - the law would not be in their favour.

15. Brooding Chick

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Nope. Lots of gay people in the medical field here.