1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think would happen?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Radioactive Bi, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If we overcame our dependence on oil. For example, say we cracked fusion power and could convert everything to electric. How do you think this would change things in the world. I'm thinking politically, financially and ecologically.

Do you think modern countries would embrace it? Do you think foreign policy would change?

I'd be interested in your thoughts....

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. Paisley

I'm sure the big oil companies will still try and stay on top. Hopefully our government wouldn't be so stupid as to fall for their lobbyist, but unfortunately I don't think it will happen. I feel like it would probably take at least one or two generational switches in the government to see it happen.

As for foreign policy, yes it would change so much. I mostly feel like a lot of the superpowers would no longer care what happens in these country. Why would they, there's no interest there anymore, maybe some of the places that have other commodities would still be on our radar. But that's just what I think.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It will eventually reduce. Oil cannot last eternally, though the crisis of supply isn't exactly acute if exploitation is opened North and South, closer to the Poles, which I believe will happen. Renewable and other exhaustive sources will be used more as costs increase, mainly the cost of extracting vs the cost of selling, especially if there's viable competition from said replacement. Oil won't be ruled out very quickly if it can be helped; so much infrastructure is dependent on petrol sources.

However, I'm not an economist, I'm not a petroleum engineer, nor am I a diplomat. Foreign policy of multiple countries is dictated by oil, and it does influence the world, but it's not as if gas, coal, nuclear energy etc., aren't important, and something will come to replace it. Different geopolitics, but similar global attitudes. Yes, I do believe the global situation will shift, but without a sharp jolt, I don't think it will be so dramatic as it's sometimes made out to be.

The existence or non existence won't bring life into utopia or dystopia, nor will it be revolutionary unless oil were somehow to entirely disappear. Economies will change, infrastructure will have to change somewhat, but I do think that substitutes will come to replace it.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I don't care about that but I think one day that well be so electronic that will just heat up too much and explode!

5. Hexagon

Well, I'd imagine Saturn's moon Titan would no longer need any freedom.