1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Taken Seriously

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Polterpup, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Polterpup

Ugh...where to even begin? Alright, so I've found that several times in my life older people have not taken me seriously because of my age...I get that I may lack "experience" and whatnot, but I do think that I'm quite mature for my age. I have gone through some less-than-pleasurable moments in my life that most people my age havent gone through, and I think it's advanced my knowledge on certain things. The condescending comments I've gotten from older people have caused me a lot of problems, actually. For example, I'll type out some huge paragraph of advice for someone on EC...and then I'll just stop if they're several years older than me. In my head I'm thinking, "There's just no point. No one is going to listen to me because they think I'm just a kid." I guess this is kind of what this is about...the inability to help or give someone advice because they'll probably think I'm just some inexperience child...anyone else feel this way...?

2. Hexagon

I think you'll find, here at least, that people will listen to your advice, no matter your age, so long as it's well considered, helpful, and your writing is good. Experience is important, but people without it still often give great advice. Let your words speak for themselves, and I promise you'll be judged on their merit and not your age.

As for the real world, I feel you. I'm largely past that point now, but I did get that a lot when I was younger. I found it particularly frustrating; adults would tell me how intelligent and well spoken I was, then ignore anything I had to say. There's often no cure for this, unfortunately. Sometimes a well reasoned argument can help, and they do sometimes listen, but other times they don't. In some ways, it's just one of the trials of being young, and it will pass with age.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has happens to so many teens. :dry:

Even on EC, I've been given that attitude, but it tends to be better here than in the outside world. I'm usually not treated as a small child, though some have that aura of "I'm older (they're usually only a few years older), and I know better." If someone treats you badly, bring it up. At least others will see, even if the condescending one doesn't apologise.

Youth may often come with inexperience, but most people who use it as an excuse don't have any more an educated opinion than a naive young person.

4. mangotree

I'm 32 and I still get older people talking down to me, not listening, not understanding etc... Don't let it get to you.
    It's their loss if they don't take advantage of experience and knowledge.

Personally I think adults could learn a LOT from younger people if they give them a chance. There's a HUGE amount of wisdom to be found in the innocence of youth and/or the trials of todays young people.

Peace be with you.(*hug*)

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my experience, it has less to do with age and more to do with the insecurity/arrogance of the person talking to you.

I once was having a conversation with a guy, half my age, probably one of the most arrogant (and most frequently wrong/incompetent) people I've ever met. In an attempt to empathize with him, I talked about why sometimes I found him annoying. (I was trying to find a way to gently talk about his being overly certain of himself with everyone, when he was clearly and demonstrably wrong about things much of the time.) His immediate response? "Well, do you think it's because you're intimidated by my intellect?" I had to stifle laughter. It was bad. I gently said no, that definitely wasn't it, and tried to gently explain that he was arrogant and condescending to people, and that he was very often factually incorrect when he made absolute statements. He acknowledged that many had called him arrogant, but seemed to think it was their problem.

So the point is... it's usually less about age and more about the other person's own insecurity. If you are mature beyond your years, and have insights that are challenging to people twice your age, that can make some people uncomfortable, because they're comparing themselves to you.

Of course, the flip side of it is how you handle yourself. If you come across as a know-it-all, or arrogant, or absolute... then that's going to turn off almost everybody. I don't have any idea if you do that, but sometimes if someone feels they're not being listened to, that sort of attitude can come across out of frustration.

To some extent, there isn't much option other than to wait and grow out of it. I have friends in their early 20s who are still having that problem because they happen to be unusually accomplished and knowledgeable at a young age. But the truth is... the people that are condescending and dismissive are, at least in most cases, not people you need to concern yourself with.

6. White Knight

This most of the time for me as well.

I believe everyone one has wisdom at least different point of view on matters, no matter age we should take in consideration.

However when a person, no matter what age they are, acting like a jerk/childish (as in not acting seriously/irresponsible) I give up listening what they say.

7. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think sometimes the issue can be not so much a reflection of your knowledge and maturity, but a perceived lack of life experience. Personally, I don't think anyone should speak to people of any age in a condescending way. Furthermore, statements and arguments stand on their own merits and who said them has nothing to do with it.

I do think there are some times where people are interested in a perspective from someone who is older and had that life experience but the input of a younger person should never be ignored on the basis of age.

To play devils advocate though, I do think there are times when younger people should think to step back if it's not really something, someone of their age can give a experienced answer too. These topics though are few and far between.

As said above, I don't think you should have too many problems here. I personally always respect the opinions of others, regardless of age or whether I agree or not.

Happy days :slight_smile:

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Sometimes I forget that you're 16 instead of 25, considering you're one of the most intelligent people here.

9. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I don't feel that a young age precludes wisdom. Some children are mature, and some adults are childish. I'm 18, but I feel my advice is equally as valid as anyone elses.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doesn't that suck? X.X I hate to play the antagonist here, but most times, those people are right. I'm ten years older than you and feel that I still don't have a very good handle on being a functional person sometimes. Being in school and generally having things taken care of for you means that you usually have a very limited view of what goes on to keep life trundling along at a steady pace. My main point being, everyone should do more listening than talking, but the younger someone is, the more I insist it applies.

But you don't come off as your average 14 year-old. I know of a few who are sharp as tacks and really dazzle me with their thoughts. The ones people disregard generally don't worry about their perceived maturity level, and probably don't do a lot of self-reflection like that anyway. But like you, the ones who do are the ones who will gain respect the fastest.

**EDIT: Apparently Radioactive Bi and I think a lot alike. :slight_smile:

#10 Argentwing, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  11. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

This has happened throughout my whole life, and continues to happen. At my last job, anytime someone had a question, the customer was sent to me to get an answer. My coworkers were 20, 30, up to 45 years older than me. As soon as the customers saw me, they rolled their eyes. Until I started to talk. If I let them get to me, they would not have gotten their answers. Speak up. Keep talking. At some point, they will start to respect you.