1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Trust The Internet Or TV For News?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JStevens96, Jun 17, 2014.

1. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Do you trust the news from TV more or from the internet?

Adults tend to fear the internet I've noticed.

Youth tends to trust the net, as we do make up the majority of users here (I think!)

What do you trust more for valid news?

2. White Knight

None?

Both?

I check both and see if they have common points or not.

3. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Interesting! Oddly enough I feel more of a connection with the net.

4. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I trust both... but sometimes the internet is way more reliable.

5. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Definitely!

6. Hexagon

No. Not really.

7. Thedistra

Depends on the news. Dog attacks you can't trust either with, they just love leaving info out or just outright lie about events.

I trust tv with the basics, you know like breaking news and such.

Least with the net you may look at many sources and make sure they actually did research into their stories.

I really don't keep up with recent events. But if I really want to know something I'll do look into it online.

Ultimately I don't trust either fully, but with the internet you can at least confirm a report or figure out that it was a outright lie.

8. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I trust the Net.. The Tv Is too mainstream and is so manipulated.. Where as Tv is more freedom

9. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Yup, agreed with the last part!

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have pretty much stopped reading newspapers and I don't trust a word of what comes out of any media...well maybe they get the date right and movie listings are useful.

See this from the great George Carlin:

[YOUTUBE]XPrRxhYJMkQ[/YOUTUBE]

11. Hexagon

Love that guy.

12. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I trust the net, but only if the source can be verified as trustworthy. Tabloids have their own sites too. I don't generally keep up with the news, but if I where to read it, I'd be sure I could trust it first.

13. Simple Thoughts

I don't trust T.V. news.

They don't even try to hide their bias anymore on T.V. There is liberal news and conservative news. News isn't supposed to have a political party, news is supposed to be the facts. I trust the net more because I can pull up 34 different variations of the same story and see what facts stay consistent and then I at least have a rough idea of what's actually going on.

14. AAASAS

Al Jazeera is pretty good if you want news that is unaffected by Western ideals.

One of the only news stations I've seen paint Canada, USA, and U.K in a negative light. Much deserved.

Theres plenty of crap independent news though.

Youtube as the Young Turks, and that is basically just moronic super left wing liberals spewing garbage they don't even understand. So the internet can do things wrongly.

The news isn't as twisted as people think, it just leaves out some vital information, everyone has the ability to find the real story through the internet, whether it's reading tweets from an area that news is breaking or finding independent bloggers talking about local issues. It's all there.

#14 AAASAS, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  15. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I pull news from the internet. It's quick and reliable. Moreover, getting the news from the internet allows one to cross-reference news articles getting multiple sides of the story whereas with the news from the TV, you only get one side per news story.

16. timo

Do I trust everything on the net or on tv? No, not at all. I know the public-service news is good but try to avoid commercial broadcasting. I also trust certain newspapers and their websites, but a lot are better left ignored.

17. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get all my news from Russia Today, because it is not influenced by corrupt Western pigs.

Lol, just kidding. I mostly check the BBC or The Guardian - I find them to be trustworthy in general.

18. Yosia

Never TV and a lot of the time not the internet. They bend stories, some arent even true and are rumors which can ruin peoples lives. As soon as the news reveals a suspect in a case, guilty or not, they are hated forever.

All newscompanies are interested in is getting more ratings and stories whether they are big or small or true or false.

All that being said, i do sometimes watch and look at news to find out whats happening in the world but none of it interests me.

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the main problems with the news is the fallibility and malleability of witness memory.

It is a truism that if you want to know what happened after a battle, you need to be there on the battleground immediately after it happened, and talk to people. Even an hour later, the stories will change, most of them unintentionally, some of them intentionally (ass-coverage, mostly). Mistakes get conveniently forgotten, blame starts getting assigned, etc.

By the time this "truth" get packaged as a story, one is quite far from what actually happened. The story gets written with fully operational filters and blinders.

So we get "facts" which resemble in essence the tip of an iceberg of undiscovered facts.

So...how do we decide to trust anything from the media?

Because it "makes sense"? The "ether" was thought to be the medium that carries light, because it "made sense" and corresponded to the way we understood sound travelling through the medium of air or water. This was totally wrong.

Perhaps because it is in line with our own biases? Probably. You're not going to get eyeballs on the screen or newspapers sold without catering to biases...

The truth is a very, very slippery thing, especially when it is mediated.

#19 greatwhale, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  20. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Russia Today will have a good article once in a while, there is one liberal American journalist who's name I can't remember who is actually good. Of course, damn, they'll go out of their way to hate everything and anything we do.