1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Respond To This Homophobic Argument

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JStevens96, Jun 17, 2014.

1. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

So I was saw a few threads regarding incest recently & I also have seen an argument on social media that I didn't know how to reply to.

"If incest is wrong why isn't homosexuality wrong?"

Of course, asked by a homophobic moron.

I looked through the threads about incest & couldn't find an answer to this argument.. BUT

How would you respond?

2. Hexagon

"Get your arse out of other people's business"

3. Just Passing

Incest is where two people are connected biologically and puts very likely harm on the offspring when the genetic data is so similar, should that be the eventual result. Incest can also be related to a mother/father figure committing sexual desires to their child (or in other cases, a step-son/daughter who might not necessarily be related) and essentially grooming them from a one-sided perspective. Either way, it places a lot of unnecessary trauma upon its targets

Homosexuality doesn't result in any offspring and is just as natural as any Heterosexual relationship. The people involved are usually quite happy with themselves and their relationships, as well as their sexual desires when completely out.

4. White Knight

Who said incest is wrong? Sexual abuse is wrong.

If two indivudals at age of consent can desire each other and decide to follow it, that is not my business to dictate it is wrong. Tho' there are other ascept of that kinda relationship should be thought carefully; like having an offspring.

5. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

^ I'd figure the person was basing that off of society's standards regarding incest.

6. Hexagon

That may be. But I won't perpetuate bigotry in order to prevent it.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Simple.

1) Don't have the argument, because your humanity is not up for debate.

2) Incest is characterized by power dynamics like age differences and enforced shame that render consent invalid. Gay sex is often not characterized by consent-invalidating power asymmetries.

I doubt this will be persuasive to someone who hates you, so don't argue with them.

8. Yosia

Neither are wrong.

Its pointless arguing with people because if they are too stupid to want to argue over things like that then they are too stupid to even be arguing with.

9. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

When I think of incest, there are two things that come to mind. Things that are clearly very wrong, like parents sleeping with their children, and things that are a bit more cloudy, like sleeping with your non blood related same age cousin twice removed. As others have pointed out, with some incest there is a power dynamic involved that makes it clearly wrong, as one person might not feel they have the option to say no. As for being with someone your barely related too and not by blood, it still creeps me out, but I don't know if I have a real argument against it.

10. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Probably right.

11. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

12. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't respond, the argument is fallacious and has 0 merit. It's a false correlation. The 2 have 0 in common with one another.

13. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    they're two completely unrelated issues. if you want to consider it an issue. i'd say don't have the argument. there's no point in convincing someone in that position they wanted to put themselves in.
    i don't know too much about incest except the fact that they did this a lot around the middle ages, when royal or upper class families were only willing to marry and reproduce with a person that is of their own bloodline. they stopped doing this when times were changing, along with the diseases and health issues that were developing. now around this time, it isn't really anything wrong with fallen in love, but there is something wrong with forcing people to go with who they think it's right for them. like i said i don't know too much about it or explain it right. all i know is that if you're going to make me be with someone that's related to me, that's just bringing me into something i don't want....at all.

14. Weekender

I fail to see the parallelism people find between incest and homosexuality.

Working off the assumption that the incestuous pairs in question are formed of consenting adults and don't spring from abuse, there really isn't much "wrong" with it in and of itself. But the reason incest grosses people out is because of the biological implications. Animals -- and even plants -- have ingrained anti-incest mechanisms. As humans, we have the capacity to form relationships without offspring, and that's perfectly fine. However, if an incestuous pair did decide to have offspring, the moral dilemma comes from concern over the child's well-being. In one study of Czechoslovakian children whose fathers were first degree relatives, fewer than half of the children who were the product of incestuous unions were completely healthy. Forty-two percent of them were born with severe birth defects or suffered early death and another 11 percent were mildly mentally impaired. In short, it is cruel to purposefully plan and bring a child who is a product of incest into the world. (See also, Psychology Today's article on The Problem With Incest).

That being said, the issues that keep incest "wrong" are completely unrelated to the issues people have with homosexuality.

15. Hexagon

The problem with all of these arguments, mine included, is that they aren't of the type that a random homophobic moron who thinks he's being smart is going to listen to, particularly if the exchange is happening IRL. Better off with a witty insult to his intelligence, really.

16. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Consenting adults are consenting adults.

17. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    Incestuous relationships don't usually have more to do with heterosexuality (like two cousins of the opposite sex), so you can say that incestuous people tend to be straight

18. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

tell them "cuz im the only one allowes to bang ur mom" then high five some losers

19. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First: Incest is not wrong.
    Second: So homosexuality is not wrong.
    Third: The only wrong thing is rape, but when two people or more wish to have a sexual/romantic/both relationship and everyone is consenting then there's nothing wrong with it.
    Fourth: Don't come with the "why pedophilia is wrong" bullshit because it's obvious children can't consent since they are not ready to have sexual and romantic attraction, they also don't have enought maturity to have this kind of relationship with anybody else btw.
    Fifty: Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

20. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. Incestuous relationships have such a negative stigma attached to them, mostly because they bring to mind sexual abuse.

Incest is just the sexual relationships between family members. If they're both consenting, so what? Yes, if they are able to have a child, they should be wary, but otherwise, who's hurting who, really?

Homosexuality also has false stereotypes. One of the more common ones is "gay men are pedophiles". That is simply not true, just like how some incestuous relationships are not abusive. Edgar Allan Poe married his cousin - that's incest, but it wasn't an abusive relationship.

But this is such a touchy subject.