1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is it most gay/bi guys act?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PrinceFabulous, Jun 17, 2014.

1. So, like, I got in an argument with someone recently. They said that most gay/bi guys acted super girly. I, on the other hand, argued that most gay/bi guys just acted like normal men. Am I wrong here?

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. You are absolutely right, and when people insist that gay or bisexual men have to be "girly," I want to slap their faces into a brick wall.

It simply isn't true.

3. Gen

Gen

I'm going to have to disagree with both of those claims.

Homosexuals and bisexuals constitute social groups. Social groups are blanket demographics that are comprised of individuals who share a single characteristic. Likewise, with ethnic social groups, gender social groups, and economic social groups. The thing about demographics is that they are very vast and simplistic. They do not tell of the personal spirit or proclivity of individual as much as a single, specific characteristic in which they hold. There is no answer to this question that would hold it's weight statistically.

Though the only reason why there is ever a debate around this subject is because this stereotype tells of something commonly seen as undesirable. It's ironic how many LGBTQ individuals love to accept equally ignorant and detrimental stereotypes and generalizations as long as, at the end of the day, they still paint us as normal.

4. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

In my opinion it's like arguing that all people with brown hair act smart or all people with brown hair act dumb. A gay man is a man who likes men. That's all it means, it doesn't necessarily mean they're feminine acting or 'normal' (whatever that means). :slight_smile:

5. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm kinda like that. It's easy for me to hold grudges on people and to easily get angry at them. I act quite feminine in social behavior, (but I'm pretty masculine in other aspects).

6. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let me elaborate on my response.

Like Gen mentioned, there really isn't any accurate proof to justify either claim. However, gay and bisexual men are not always "girly" - that's just a false stereotype. Some gay/bi men are more feminine than others, yes, but they don't represent the entire community, similar to how masculine gay/bi men don't represent the entire community.

Your personality and characteristics have no bearing on your sexual orientation. I believe people have to stop connecting those two together. Sexual orientation simply deals with what gender you're attracted to. Personality and characteristics don't relate to that much, if at all.

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed, Gay people don't have to act any particular way at all, and I hate the girly stereotype. Not because I see acting girly as negative, but because I think it's stupid to put people in a box, just based on sexual preference.

Sadly, I think this 'girly' image has been played up and perpetuated by the media in its depiction of gay people, because it sells, or seems funny/nonthreatening. I tend to hate the way TV portrays most gay characters; you don't get much variety.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate the stereotypes. I have nothing against those who are flamboyant or consider themselves fem, but I don't like the attitude of some straight people thinking or saying, "oh you don't act/seem bi/gay." I want to say to that person, "Oh really, I have to act a certain way for you? Gee, I'm sorry that I didn't ride in shirtless on a unicorn following a rainbow while wearing a purple thong."

9. ...That last part made my night.

10. gayboy987

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    no, no matter what there sexual attraction is they act how they act

11. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, it was made in jest, not in anger. :icon_bigg

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't act girly and I hate it when people stereotype.

13. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I always get the feeling that people wouldn't say "you don't act gay" if masculine gay guys show up a little more often. They criticize us fem guys for "giving them a bad image" but for a very long time we've been the only image the Gay community had

We certainly face more hostility than they ever had, just my two cents (masculine gay&bisexual guys don't take it personal, it's just an advice)

14. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with you, edy. I think someone said this before, but it's mostly because of the "masculinity is better than femininity" bullshit society is so intent on having. You can't control who you are, and to discriminate against someone for being themselves is just hypocrisy at its finest, because I hear the cliche "be yourself!" remark every damn day and a lot of those people take it back when they hear you're gay. Or at least where I live, anyway.

My family friend claimed to "support all sorts of love, and that love was just love". And when I mentioned gay people, she said, "That's a sin."

I rolled my eyes so hard. Those statements weren't even a minute apart.

But, uh, sorry for expressing my disdain so strongly. I think it's time that I high-tail it out of here, heheh. Apologies.

15. White Knight

Depends on the place that conversation takes.

In here if someone is telling that it is just because of an illusion. Only openly gay people in here are feminine ones. They are grouped with transgender people and formed what most people think "gay" is.

In here most people think like Vikings, you are gay only if you are bottom/submisive one. I heard many times men boast about "f**king fags" during their manly pissing contests or how "fags are all over them as they are so manly".

Thank God I don't hear those kind of conversations anymore as many people learned form hard way not to talk negatively about LGBT people around me.

16. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't act girly in the slightest. It's a complete nonsense claim with nothing to back it up.

The people at my martial arts club would definitely attest to me not being girly as would my two children.

Happy days :slight_smile:

17. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As I said before everyone is a unique wonderful individual. Stereotypes never work

18. Eye Shine

Yup like a lot of people said being gay just means you like men. You can be a masculine gay, a feminine gay, a blank gay anything. Being gay is just one part of your life and it shouldn't be the only defining trait in who you are.

19. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gay/bi men are just as dissimilar as straight men. Contrary to popular opinion, in both cases, the personalities projected are extremely varied.

20. jahow95

Well, it's only become stereotypical because it is based in reality. It is a fact that a lot of homosexual (especially) and bisexual men are more effeminate than their straight counterparts, even if not outwardly noticeable.

However, I am in agreement with the above poster, they don't have to be effeminate and it would anger me for that to be asserted.

Personally, I know only 2 openly gay men (off the top of my head). 1 is extremely effeminate, and is a mirror of the stereotypical homosexual male. The other was my GCSE English teacher and nobody could have guessed he was gay until he described his ideal partner as male - unrelated to his sexuality I have a lot of respect for him.
    I suppose the only men who are obviously gay are those who are extremely flamboyant and effeminate, so I suppose the stereotype is formed because they outwardly seem to be the only gay men alive.

#20 jahow95, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014