1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama picks Biden as VP

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gerry, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank god!! I really liked Biden and I think the two will do really well together

3. Hmm Joe Biden is one of the few Democrats I can stomach. It should be interesting with them working together.

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't thrilled at all to hear the announcement of the VP candidate. But after all that was Sen. Obama's decision. I will be voting for Cynthia McKinney of the Green Party in November. Go Green! (!)

5. Jebs

So because of Obama's VP selection you are a McKinney supporter? Interesting..

6. string3343

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know what to think at this point. On one hand I hope that they lose, so that Hillary has a chance in 2012. But on the other hand I cannot STAND the idea that McCain would be in office. His idea of gay rights is letting us remain alive :frowning2:. He does not support a federal non-discrimination law that would outlaw job discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, Local Law Enforcement Act of 2005, same sex marriage, or gays or lesbians serving in the military. Sadly, I have no say as I am too young to vote... I think Obama made a pretty good choice though...

7. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More so after the announcement of the Democratic nominee after Hillary Clinton didn't get the nomination I was looking elsewhere. I thought that I would still vote for Obama if he picked Hillary as his VP, but he didn't. I've been looking into 3rd parties and found myself relating to the Green Party. I've expressed this before in previous posts on how I feel about Barack Obama, so if you're interested I'm sure you can find that in earlier threads.That's just how I feel and I don't think I'll change my mind. But hey -- it beats me saying I'm changing to McCain. Lol.

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Just curious Gerry, I know you love Hillary, but what have you got against Obama? Hillary and Bill are going to be rallying for the Obama/Biden team.

9. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Biden is perfect, he is president of the Foreign Relations Committee which is great because it gives him a great knowledge of foreign matters and affairs, and he seems smart, capable and most important of all he seems experienced which would greatly help Obama because one of the biggest concerns people have about him is his inexperience. I think Biden is an awesome guy and him as VP was a great choice. So not voting for Obama because of Biden makes little sense

10. paint

hmmm. I am of the opinion that Obama has a very weak sense of loyalty, and that is discombobulating. >.>

11. silentsound

I don't know, I think in a lot of ways Biden is what the Obama campaign needs. He's older with foreign policy experience and he has the image of being another respectable family man with a story that draws your sympathies. But my God that man can talk... so we'll see how this all plays out. I am kind of neutral on the whole thing really, I think I need to see how he reacts to campaigning first before I can make a sound judgment. There are definitely worse choices though.

12. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I think its a decent choice. I woulda liked Hillary, but another progressive choice doesn't make me too upset.

13. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In any case, Obama is still the lesser of the two evils. Hillary had no chance, and I didn't exactly love her to start with...and really, what hope does the Green Party have? Like Ralph Nader, it's just sucking votes away from the two major parties.

14. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's noting personal against Obama. I personally don't think he's ready to be President. He's been in the US Senate for only 3 years and is such a newbie. If someone's running for the most powerful office in the world, I would think that they should have a little more experience then he does. Maybe he'll prove me wrong. Maybe Obama will be a good president (if elected). :slight_smile: But I just don't see the whole big thing about him. I haven't heard of him since before this election and all of a sudden he's probably one of the most powerful politicians! Lol. Thanks for your concern Becky. And who knows, when I'm actually in the voting booth I may realize it's pointless voting 3rd party (even if that's what you believe in!) since they never win. But -- anything has to be better than the last 8 years we've been in.

15. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course the Green Party has no chance in winning this election, but I would be voting for something that I think is the better choice and not the two main parties -- which isn't always the right thing to choose. Our next president will either be a Republican or Democrat. I don't see voting a 3rd party candidate as something as "sucking votes away" but more so as a right to express my political views and elect whom I think would be the more qualified and could help this country the most.

And who know ... the election is still several months away, maybe Obama will have won me over by then. Lol.

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'll be working on you Gerry! :wink:

17. RobbIsFlyyy

I think his choice is simply hypocritical. As stated in an October 2007 Democratic Debate (this being before candidates started dropping), Biden is quoted to have said "I don't think he's qualified to be President", and "It's not a job for on-the-job-training".
    Obama, since announcing his running for President has ran with the foundation of "change". He's said he wants to be the "politican of the new tomorrow". He's about bringing new politics to Washington, and getting things done differently in the 21st century. Yet he chooses a candidate who has been in Washington longer than he, Hillary, and McCain COMBINED.
    That's a wee bit hypocritical to me. But it was predictable that he would choose a white male, to try to round up those "blue collar, working class" votes.
    If he wanted to accomplish that, he should have chosen Hillary. I can guarantee you this, in his choosing Senator Biden, Obama has lost Kentucky, and West Virginia, and possibly even Michigan if McCain were to choose Romney. And if McCain wins Kentucky, West Virginia, New Mexico, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, New York, Florida, and California, as well as the others states he's projected to win, the White House should (in theory) be his.

Going off on the "experience" tangent. He's not qualified on this basis because he, under his own admission, has been running for two years. He was elected to US Senate, representing Illinois, in November 2004. Allowing him to serve from 2004 until 2005, until announcing his run for the White House, of which he's been working on from 2005-2008. (2005-2006 = one year. 2006-2007 = two years. Can't count 2007-2008, because the year isn't up yet [Just getting my math right]). And when running for President, it's a full time job. So, therefore, since running for two years, it only leaves one year of experience in the Senate. First term Senators, especially only having one year, shouldn't run for President.
    Also, foreign policy is a must. Something we MUST have in today's post 9-11 day and age. Foreign policy, in my opinion, is a characteristic a candidate must have, and foreign policy, Barack Hussein Obama has none of.

In my opinion, he chose Biden (which is, in theory, a good choice), because he's been around the block. He knows how things will be, and have been done. I fear it'll be Bidens Presidency, and that Obama (if elected) will do as instructed by Biden. If that were the case, it should be Biden/Obama, not Obama/Biden. (A point pointed out by a CNN Political Commentator yesterday).

18. Nodnarb

I like Biden, so I'm ok with the choice. I would have preferred Richardson, but oh well....

19. I love you. Hahaha. My friend and I were talking about the same thing. We were like Biden was chosen because he knows how things are done. Obama is most likely going to use him to cover up his inexperience or essentially become Biden's puppet. Also like you said foreign policy is a must have and Senator Obama seems to favor appeasement. We shall see if his choosing Biden is a strategy that will pay off, though I doubt it will work to Senator Obama's favor.

20. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Human Rights Campaign Statement on Selection of Senator Joe Biden as Democratic Vice Presidential Candidate

HRC President Hails Biden as "A Proven and Effective Advocate for Fairness and Equality"

8/23/2008

WASHINGTON – Today, the Human Rights Campaign, the nation’s largest gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender civil rights organization, hailed the presumptive Democratic nominee, Senator Barack Obama’s selection of Senator Joe Biden as his Vice Presidential running mate. During his career in Congress, Senator Biden has a proven record of fighting for and supporting issues of fairness and equality.

"In selecting Senator Joe Biden as his running mate, Senator Obama has chosen a proven and effective advocate for fairness and equality that our entire community can be proud of," said Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese. "Senator Biden’s record in the United States Senate is one of support and understanding that has been unwavering throughout his career."

Recently, Senator Biden, as Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, played an instrumental role in securing the passage of the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), legislation which included Senator John Kerry and Senator Gordon Smith’s provision repealing the discriminatory HIV travel and immigration ban. His working across the aisle guaranteed that the Kerry-Smith provision was adopted. Furthermore, when opponents of the provision attempted to garner support to strip the provision from the bill, Senator Biden fought to keep the provision in the bill and helped secure the votes for PEPFAR'S final passage.

"We only need to look back to the recent passage of the repeal of the HIV travel and immigration ban to see the type of leadership we can expect from Senator Biden on the issues important to our community," continued Solmonese. "It was because of his determination and tenacity that we were able to see this relic of discrimination against people living with HIV/AIDS torn down."

"If the support Senator Biden has proven on our issues is any indication of the type of Vice President he will be than our community can be assured that Senator Obama has chosen a thoughtful and staunch advocate for equality as his closest adviser," concluded Solmonese.

The Human Rights Campaign is America’s largest civil rights organization working to achieve lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equality. By inspiring and engaging all Americans, HRC strives to end discrimination against GLBT citizens and realize a nation that achieves fundamental fairness and equality for all.