1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask for sexual orientation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by neutron, Jun 17, 2014.

1. neutron

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I heard that it is rude to ask about someone sexual orientation. Is there exception? I went to pride and got asked but at work nobody does?

2. LD579

It's just something that's kind of personal and not all that relevant at times at work, for instance. It'd be like asking if someone's religious in a math class, or something similar. At a pride event, it's on people's minds so it's arguably relevant, and arguably not rude. Different people have different takes on the matter. Some people aren't okay with friends asking, for example. Others are, like myself.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's great

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Luthan pretty much summed it up. It's rude if it's not related to the situation, but if you're at a LGBTQ camp or pride or whatever, I'd say it's alright to ask. I don't think you should walk up to a random guy and ask if he's gay, though. He may take it the wrong way, haha.

5. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't see why it would be rude, but I can say the same thing about a lot of supposedly rude things.

Is there a reason why someone would ask about your orientation at work? Someone asking you at pride makes sense.

6. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For me, I consider it rude when someone asks about my sexual orientation. If I were to be at a pride event, that would be a totally different story. However, I think it just depends on the person you're talking to.

7. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know why would it be offensive, you know? if your sexual orientation is other than heterosexuality you actually have to ask in order to get a partner right?

and sharing these things is a good way to built personal relationship such as friendship and stuff. Maybe some LGBT people are scared because they have internalized homophobia or maybe they are surrounded byy an hostile environment : would a straight person be offended if he or she is questioned about his sexuality? He or she would tell you like it's nothing

#7 edy, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on the situation. How are they saying it? How menacing do you perceive them to be? Is it at work? Totally inappropriate and could be considered harassment.