1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prior to coming out, did you ever feel uncomfortable around an LGBT person?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by QueerTransEnby, Jun 18, 2014.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My high school senior class visited Walt Disney World in 2002 during their Gay Pride Weekend. I was firmly in the closet and denial at this time, and I will never forget all the PDA and makeout sessions we saw there. Of course, it was even more awkward because our school was Christian conservative to the max.

Then, the waiter at a very famous cafe there was flirting with all the guys(putting his hand on all of our shoulders etc. and calling us "his men") in a flamboyant way, and there were several slurs thrown his way from the males in my class when he went to the kitchen. The girls thought it was cute. I secretly enjoyed him doing it, but I had to keep up appearances and act disgusted. :frowning2: I am kind of ashamed of myself for acting that way. It was terrifying to see and confirm my fears of the hate.

2. Hexagon

No. I was never taught bigotry

3. AlamoCity

Well, I would sometimes feel uncomfortable around an extremely flamboyant guy or a very butch female because for some reason I thought that they would find out that I was gay.

Although, to be honest, it may stem from the fact that as a child I was always uncomfortable with people who would violate the gender norms of society.

4. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. Being around an LGBT person has never made me feel uncomfortable.

If someone was touching me without my permission, that's a different matter, but their orientation would not play a part there.

Happy days :slight_smile:

5. Eye Shine

I always use to say that I support their rights and they can do what they want just not in front of me. It made me uncomfortable and the reason is obviously because I'm gay and wanted that too.

I don't know maybe it was partly subliminal jealousy because I didn't know I was gay or maybe my earlier denial. A lot of people obviously not all that are really passionate about being a homphobe might just be one themselves. I wasn't ever really against it but it did make me uncomfortable for a while and that is something I regret. Either way I don't mind seeing it in public any more and I hope it gets accepted more.

6. RocketMoose27

Nupe.
    My aunt is a lesbian. Everybody in my extended family dislikes her, they even went as far to tell me to stay away from her... but I hung around her anyways! :grin:
    She's really a nice lady if you get to know her, too bad she moved away though.

To summarize it: No, I never felt uncomfortable!

7. TurtleCat

Actually, no. I'd say if anything, I felt more comfortable or at ease with them because I felt a certain kinship.

8. awesomeness

I did have some negative views about gay people when I was a kid (not sure where those views came from), but my parents were the ones who actually said to me "there's nothing wrong with it, that's just the way some people are".

9. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    haha no if i showed any sign of intolerance my left wing family would quickly disown me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :slight_smile: I'm very happy about how i was raised in that respect... Around any homosexuals I would actually actively try and engage them in conversation and become mates with them, i dunno why maybe i just felt i'd be able to connect to them more than a straight person in terms of emotional support?

10. robclem21

I was jealous that they were so comfortable, which in turn made me a little uncomfortable that I felt I had to act reserved. But it never stemmed from a direct discomfort because of the other person.

11. Gabe92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was deeply in the closet in High School and while I wouldn't say I felt uncomfortable I felt weird about the flamboyant kid in our school. I think I was afraid of who I was, and how other people perceived him. Which made me scared of their perception of me, as I have always worried about what other people think of me.

12. confuseduser99

YES! But that's because I was deeply closeted and was a homophob in the process of trying to hide my sexuality.

13. finebime

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Growing up in a very narrow-minded family, I was always taught that being gay was a sin and an abomination. I never thought anything otherwise until a girl in my class came out when we were juniors in high school. I was talking to her during a class meeting and another girl in our class grabbed me and drug me away from her, hissing "Ohmigod I can't believe you're talking to her! Don't you know she's GAY?!" I was utterly disgusted and told this girl "Good God! I can't 'catch' her gayness!" It was then that I realized that I was ok being around gay people, and I didn't see them any differently than anyone else.
    It wasn't until I was in college that I realized I was bisexual. It was a shock the first time I saw a same-sex couple engaging in PDA, but I wasn't bothered by it. It's hard to explain how I felt, but it was more shock that they felt so free to hold hands and kiss in public.

14. justjade

I did when I was super-religious, but not anymore. I mean, I may feel a bit intimidated if someone's out to everyone, especially a transgender person living full time in their true gender, but it's only because I'm generally afraid to actually tell people, "Hey, I'm a dude!"

15. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Weirdly, despite my age, the answer to your question is no, never. In fact I've always been more comfortable, especially around gay guys.

16. Yosia

Nope. In fact i was my bisexual friends only true friend because everyone was mean to him.

17. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uncomfortable? No. But, I expect that I was not aware that most of them were LGBT at the time, just as I don't know now most of the time unless I am meeting them in a known gay meeting context. That said, I don't treat anyone I know is gay different from anyone else when I am with straight friends, as much to make a point as anything else.

18. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I remember I didn't like that song "I kissed a girl", and not in the way I dislike all pop music. It just made me uncomfortable. But I'm not sure it was the same sex stuff that bothered me, just how cheap it all seemed in the song.

19. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Always, always, always. I was convinced that either I would set off someone's gaydar and I'd be found out, or else they'd think I was some kind of pathetic freak for being too scared to come out. It really had nothing to do with the gay guys themselves, and completely about my messed own up perceptions and fears.

20. BelleFromHell

Yes, but just the 'L,' not the 'GBT.' One of my best friends is a bisexual dude, and I've only met ONE transperson in my entire life (she was an employee at Wal-Mart). I don't have any gay-male friends, but they still don't make me uncomfortable.

Being around another lesbian makes me sick to my stomach. I know they're looking at me thinking, "Pfft! Get a load of this straight bitch. I bet she's a total slut!" I don't think I need to bring up my hatred for the lesbian community again.

I'm living at a family member's house now. She's a lesbian and I came out to her hoping she'd make me feel better, only to get the "You're not gay, you're confused" bullshit. Ironically, I was talking about suicide right before she said that (do you think alienating me and calling me something I'm not will make me NOT kill myself?! What the hell is wrong with you?!?)

I learned my lesson. NEVER come out to anyone, especially NOT another lesbian. I don't have any respect for lesbians anymore and I wish I had nothing to do with them.