1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you prefer food that is associated with your culture?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wuggums47, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I'm half Jewish, and I was just cooking some latkes and it occurred to me that if I wasn't part Jewish, I might not even know what latkes are. If your wondering, they are a type of potato pancake and they are delicious. I love all sorts of Jewish foods, like blintzes, bagels, and kugel. I'm also part Italian, and Italian food also tends to be some of my favorites.

I mean sure I also love other types of food, but nothing beats the foods I would have cooked for me as a kid. What kind of foods do you like that come from your culture?

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm Irish, I do enjoy corned beef and stuffed cabbage leaves

3. timo

I sincerely dislike most dishes described as Dutch.

Only stroopwafels. Stroopwafels forever. They're the best and it's sad to see there's no English word for them.

4. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I want to try food from all cultures, but my favorite Chinese food would be Aromatic Crispy Duck.

5. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just looked them up, they look awesome. :thumbsup:

Anyway, in general no. There are definitely times when I have a hankering for British food, but in general I like lots of stuff... Spanish, SE Asian, Indian, Caribbean, Italian, Middle Eastern. It varies. Tbh I think there are quite a few cultures which got the food thing down better than us lot did :lol:

6. Hexagon

Honestly, there isn't really. There's only like, fish and chips and pub food. And I'm vegan. My favorite food is probably felafel.

7. Paisley

Not really. I mean every now and then I'll crave Mama's mole or taco's, but I've grown up with my entire life. So I'm bored of it, I love discovering new culture's foods!

8. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not particularly. I like a good mix of food from many cultures.

My favourite food is chineese.

Happy days :slight_smile:

9. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

white culture.... represent...... *eats hungry man dinner*

10. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Nope nope nope. Irish/ Scottish food is disgusting. I prefer Asian influence or Italian.

11. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    No. Too many veggies.

12. Sarah2695

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No. I am from America and though a good burger is nice on occasion, I like to eat food that is associated with other cultures, such as Vietnamese or Indian.

13. Hiems

I'm Vietnamese. I really like Vietnamese and Indian food.

My favorite Viet dishes are braised catfish in claypot, Viet grilled pork, Bún bò Huế, and pho ga.

My favorite Indian dishes are palak paneer, chicken tikki masala, naan, and vegetable pakora.

14. justjade

I love stroopwafels! :grin:

Being American, I do enjoy hamburgers, hot dogs, and pizza, but I think my favorite kind of food is anything Asian. Ever since I was a kid, I've been really interested in Asian culture, which then led to me being a hardcore anime fan in high school. I recently tried pad thai, and I love it. It seems like Asian flavors are every bit as diverse as they are exotic. I've noticed that Asian food contains a lot of contrasting flavors that add interest to a dish. And the food is so colorful and stuffed with vegetables.

15. BelleFromHell

I'm German, English, Swedish, and native American. I've never had bratwurst or Swedish meatballs before. I really don't know much about native American food (my ancestory comes from the Tuscarora and Cherokee tribes). I love English muffins with cheese and tuna cooked inside (my family is weird).

My step-father's family is Italian, so we eat a lot of pasta. My mother and I are both gluten intolerant, so we've been trying to cut it out of our diet (*snicker* never gonna happen).

I was born and raised in metro Atlanta, so, naturally, I love me some fried chicken (grilled and baked are also good). I'm sometimes picky with my chicken. I recently got some chicken from a wing place in Marietta, and it made me want to puke. It was 90% GREASE. It was so greasy, I couldn't even taste the chicken! Plus, I'm one of those people whose faces gets greasy after eating fast-food, so that was a terrible experience.

My mom used to be a vegetarian, and she still doesn't eat red meat, so we don't eat red meat very often (I prefer white meat, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything).

I won't eat anything with pork, with the exception of bacon and pepperoni. It's hard to believe my mom and I are both German, isn't it? :lol:

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2014 at 09:52 AM ----------

I usually don't eat red meat, but hamburgers and pizza are HUGE exceptions! :icon_bigg

You're going to think I'm insane for saying this, but I've been into Japanese culture (and Asian cultures in general) since I was 8 years old, and I have NEVER eaten Japanese food (unless you count instant ramen, ramune, and those cute little candies, but I don't). I've eaten white rice, shrimp, and chicken at a Chinese resturant, but I've never eaten at a Japanese resturant before.

I don't like veggies, so there really wouldn't be much for me to eat... :frowning2:

16. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

No. I like italian food just because it's the best of the world.

17. Cass

I like all kinds of food. Scottish/Irish is okay but not my favorite
    I like Asian food

18. AlamoCity

It depends what "side" of the family you're talking about.

I actually don't like many Latin American foods. When I'm taken to a Mexican restaurant, I usually end up ordering either a hamburger or brisket and avocado tacos. I didn't grow up in a household where Hispanic foods were a staple.

On the other hand, I love Texas/southern food. I could eat brisket, creamed corn, and biscuits daily.

19. tscott

German side of the family - Saurbraten and red cabbage, lindzer tortes, love it all, but not particularly good for you.

Scottish/English - when done well good game, lamb - wonderfully rich dairy products and cheeses - custards of all kinds - shortbread - even haggis (though tough to get in the states) - an English breakfast - steak and kidney pie...but not good for you. When not done well the worst food in the world: boiled meats, beans on toast, fried foods, overdone meat...I'd sooner starve.

20. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not necessarily. I'm Chinese, and while I like Chinese food, I tend to like Mexican and Italian food better. Probably because I was raised with more of those types of foods rather than Chinese food. (And the Chinese food restaurants around here are mediocre.)