1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fit-in or stand-out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mangotree, Jun 18, 2014.

1. mangotree

Would you rather fit-in or stand-out in a crowded or social setting?

Also, am I the only one who thinks it's odd that a lot of people (myself included sometimes) try so hard to fit-in but feel bad when we go unnoticed?

I know this question is deeper and more complex than is apparent by the simplicity of the question, so feel free to elaborate.

2. Hexagon

I'd rather fit in among a crowd of stand-outs.

3. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the situation and how many people in the crowd I know. It may also depend on the nature of the gathering.

Happy days :slight_smile:

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. Just depends what's going on.
    If a lot of people are gathered to to the same thing (run, bike, etc.) I'd rather fit in.
    If it's just people walking around, I'd like having my own style.

5. Colours

I like to stand out. But not too much, though. Like others have said, it depends on the situation and the setting.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to deliberately stand out when it can benefit me; gaining a teacher's favour, and later on getting a employer's favour in a competitive environment. But it's good to fit in when you don't want to be associated with something, or don't want to be dealt with at all. But there's no point in standing out for the sake of standing out, nor in fitting in if fitting in has no practical purpose.

7. wolf of fire

I stand out because I do

8. Techno Kid

I like that! ^ ^

9. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I don't like being part of the "Majority".. So I guess stand out.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

As has been said several times, it depends on the situation. Hexagon said it best, and that goes for me as well.

Aussie792 makes a great point about standing out, when beneficial. I couldn't see the advantage to standing out in a crowd of angry people, for example.

In general, I tend to be in the middle of fitting in and standing out. I don't go out of my way to stand out, but sometimes I do. The important thing is, if the situation calls for it, I can step up if need be.

Now, if you were to ask the little asshole I used to be, then they'd have said, "Stand out! Stand out! Stand out!", because they believed themselves, to be the best thing the divines had blessed the universe with.

11. lionfood

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm very good at both. I wear a uniform at my school, like all English schools do, and I'm very good at chameleoning myself into the background of a classroom so the teacher won't pick on me. And I an be very sweet and unassuming and unintimidating, being 5'1". Other than that, I stand out completely. I've got different views on almost EVERYTHING than my peers, on non-uniform days it becomes obvious that I dress differently, my attitude towards class is different etc. I know how to make my teachers like me, too :grin:
    I've got one friend who stands out in exactly the same ways as me though :grin: she's fantastic. We also both share the daydream of visiting the Rocky Horror Show. Most kids my age are like "no"
    I think maybe this is like what someone above said. I fit in with people who stand out.

12. Howl

I'd rather fit in and just become invisible. I like the idea of standing out and being different, but I'm just too.. shy and anti-social..

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely stand out. I have trouble fitting in.

What was it Groucho Marx said? Ah, now I recall:

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I use to care about fitting in but I don't are if everyone else is against me or doesn't' agree with me , I was like that as a kid and people hated me for it even my teachers did and I wanted to be liked back then so I did anything to fit in . Now as an adult I don't care if I fit in or not I like being me I don't really care if a 1000 people disagree with me or what I have to say all that matters is I'm true to myself and I wasn't like someone else's puppet or playing follow the leader . My dad always thought me something I'll never forget no matter where you stand or how you think there will always be people in the world that won't like you or agree with you .

#14 stocking, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  15. Paisley

I honestly dont mind either. I love being quiet and just observing, and I love being the center of attention. It really depends on my mood I suppose. But I'm happy either way.

16. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Both.
    Neither.

17. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer to fit in, but it's not always easy - at least it hasn't always been easy for me. There have been times when fitting in would have required me to betray an innate part of who I am, sacrifice some of my beliefs and values and turn my back on things I really enjoy. I can't and won't do that. I refuse to stoop to that level of falseness to fit in. Consequently, I've found myself standing out, when I'd much rather not.

I guess I have the opposite problem to you, mangotree.. I really want to go unnoticed and often don't for the reasons stated (which all sound rather deep) ???

18. White Knight

I am who I am. If I fit in or stand out is up to society to decide. I do whatever I wanna do and live the way I wanna live. Sorry if some people offended by it.

19. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always stood out pretty much everywhere and not because I was trying. Sometimes I wish I was invisible.

20. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same here.
    There are times when it's better to stand out and times where it's better to blend in.