1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It has been one month since I became an Atheist

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by phoenix89, Jun 18, 2014.

1. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One month ago today, I deconverted from Christianity to Atheism and to be honest it was one of the best things that I could have done for myself. Sure this month has been hard, and has been riddled with struggles and tears, ups and downs, but for the first time in a long time, I am happy with myself. I am happy that I am Bi, and that I am no longer a Christian. I miss being a Christian more that I can explain. I miss the love and the community, but there was not enough love and community to make-up for the way that I was treated and the way that so many others are treated.

When I first started losing my faith, which was a month long process within itself, I relapsed and self-harmed again. It was not intentional self-harm but it happened and I now have live with that. One of the worse parts of the self-harm was the fact that I used the cross I used to wear to do it. It is so sad that my faith caused me to hurt myself, and I am never going back to that place. If I have to stay an Atheist for the rest of my life to avoid that pain then so be it. I will remain an Atheist as long as I get to be happy.

I want to thank all on here who have been supportive and understanding with me on this journey, you have all been, for the lack of a better word, a blessing to me. I have been able to make it through this month and come-out of it stronger and that is wonderful. Maybe even one day I will be able to come-out as an Atheist. Right now, it is you guys, my boyfriend, my twin-sister and some people on Reddit who have any idea what has been going on. Maybe one day I will tell others, but right now this is good, thanks for the support everyone.

2. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad that atheism is helping you. But this isn't really the reason to become an atheist. The reason why one becomes an atheist is because there is no evidence for god. Leaving theism because of Christians suggests to me that either you still believe in god but don't want to go to church any more or that you never believed in god in the first place.

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went from Christian to Agnostic to Atheist.

I grew up in the Bible Belt and went to a Christian preschool. You can imagine what that does to a kid. I used to be so religious that I asked my mother if she believed in God, and when she said no, I was so scared that she would die and go to a bad place.

I'm so sorry, mom.

I just disagree with Christian teachings, and while many, many Christians have their own way of interpreting the Bible, it feels suffocating to me and I wouldn't want to get involved in that. So I go with atheist, even if I technically just have no religion.

4. BelleFromHell

My birth-dad is one of those "born-again" Christians, my mom is a simple theist, and my step-dad is indifferent.

I remember when my dad sent me to sunday school. Even as a little girl, who didn't know what "agnostic" or "atheist" meant, I felt completely out of place. Everyone talked to "God" and "Jesus" and I thought there was something seriously wrong with me for not being as enthusiastic about it as everyone else. Around age 14, I became an agnostic, but I never really believed in God or the Bible, so I don't consider myself an ex-Christian, I just stopped pretending.

Last year, I came out to my dad as an agnostic. The very first thing he said was "I have a devil and a angel on my shoulder, but you have two devils!" I honestly wish I punched him in the face, he totally deserved it. He didn't respond much better after I came out as a lesbian, stating "I'm OK with you liking girls, even though the Bible says you need to sleep with a man." This was MONTHS after I came out as agnostic, mind you, so I don't think he said that for any other reason than to piss me off.

My mom and step-dad already knew I wasn't religious, so there wasn't really anything to come out about. They don't care. My mom once tried to make me use "ABeka" books for my homeschooling, but I honestly think it's because most homeschoolers are Christian, and I think she was too lazy to find some decent secular books. I've been in educational anarchy for the past 5-6 years, so I'm surpised she's given any help at all.

Anyway, I'm getting off-topic. All I can say is, if you feel more comfortable not believing in God, I wouldn't tell you to stop being an atheist. You're happy and that's all that really matters. :slight_smile:

5. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Agnostic here. The only reason to de-convert from any religion is because you don't believe in it. That's it. Not because you don't agree with the followers. Good luck. I'm glad you're happier, though.

6. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad you have embraced a life of reason and rationality. It's not easy being an atheist as we are surrounded by those who still cling to their superstitious beliefs.

However, being an atheist means you can explore reality and this amazing universe for what it really is and see the true beauty of nature without it being tainted by silly Bronze Age myths created by desert dwelling goat herders who knew nothing about the world.

There is a community for atheists if you look for it. If you ever want to discuss atheistic or scientific topics, or just want some support or a chat, feel free to message me on my wall and I'll be happy to have a discussion.

Happy days :slight_smile:

7. jargon

phoenix, as it happens, I'm moving to your corner of Ohio soon with a friend of mine who happens to be a Christian. In the depths of New England where we're from, Christianity and homophobia aren't so much of a package as they seem to be in other parts of the country, especially for our younger generation. (Don't get me wrong, I still encounter plenty of religious homophobes too).

My Christian roommate was actually one of the most supportive people for me when I was first coming out. I'm an atheist myself, but it sounds like you really valued the religious community that you had when you identified yourself as a Christian. If that still means a lot to you when this is all said and done, I hope you can find Christians like some of the ones I know who are more accepting.

8. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I'm glad you are happy with yourself and the point you've come to after these struggles.

A few points, the first one minor: there's no need to capitalize "atheism". :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: There's no doctrine to it, no sacred texts, it just means you don't subscribe to a theistic worldview (i.e., belief in a deity or deities). It's like being a communist, a republican, a royalist, a philosophy major, a mailman, a motorcycle repair technician, a wizard, you get the idea. Only thing is that attendance to Donut Thursdays is mandatory, donuts be praised. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm sorry to hear you feel you've lost the sense of love and community you got from your Christian community. I will say that 1) it is possible to have a faith in a higher power without necessarily ascribing to the dogma of a particular community or institution, and 2) it is possible to find that sense of community and love whether or not the community is centered around Christianity or any particular doctrine, religious or not. Belief in God is not necessary for this sense of community, but it's not guaranteed to hinder it either. Among the faithful, I think that sense of love and community will be genuine and purest when the people see and find God in each other as opposed to being distracted by things that might drive walls between and alienate each other. This is true of any community - just replace "God" with whatever it is they believe in and hold dear in their hearts enough to bring the people together.

I hope my post has made some sense. Best of luck in your journey - you're doin alright :slight_smile:

#8 Miles16, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
  9. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ever since I'm an atheist I feel relieved so congratulations

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm on the fence to Atheism , because people like us have been rejected by the church , heck the bible and the church constantly contradicted it self and they are not loving at all like they say .

11. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    Exactly, I don't what to create controversy nor offend religious people here but it's kind of contradictory and not very healthy to follow a dogma being other than straight. It's a constant struggle, self loathe and the inner feeling that no matter how good you are or how you try to follow everything your beliefs say, it's never going to be enough unless you stop being yourself

You know? religions fight each other all the time but they have one thing in common, that's for sure and that's their inherent hate/rejection towards gay people

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah the only religion that I think is nice to gays well so I've heard is Buddhism

13. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad you're feeling better. (*hug*)

14. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the responses everyone. There are a few points that I will like to expand on, that first of which is that my deconverting story is a lot longer and more complicated than what is mentioned above. Yes some of it has to with the hatred of the GSM community, but not all of has deal with that. My faith has never been very strong, and it was only getting weaker with time. The one thing that kept me a Christian as long as I was, was my belief in the afterlife. I could not give up on my belief in Heaven. You see, I have known so many people who have died including my Mom 1.5 years ago. Knowing that she is in Heaven with her family and that I will get to see her again, made it a lot easier for me to handle her passing. Now even though I no longer believe in God, I still believe in Heaven, I was an Universalist before my deconversion. And my beliefs on Heaven have not really changed all that much.

The issue comes with believing in God. Currently that is not possible for me, I have tried and I have failed. The thought of becoming a Christian again is actually pretty triggering for me. I stopped wearing my cross on my necklace, I have down my religious decoration and I have taken my beliefs off of facebook. It was mentioned that I do not need to be a part of a group to still believe in God and that is true, I have done that, I just cannot do it right now. I cannot allow myself to be that upset or stressed again. I had stress hives for 6 weeks, and let me tell you 6 weeks of hives SUCK.

Thanks again for the responses, and the invites to talk, and for those going through this as well, I am sorry. It is painful, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

15. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

(*hug*)

16. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you

17. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

It's been one week since you looked at me
    Cocked your head to the side and said "I'm angry"
    Five days since you laughed at me saying
    "Get that together come back and see me"
    Three days since the living room
    I realized it's all my fault, but couldn't tell you
    Yesterday you'd forgiven me
    but it'll still be two days till I say I'm sorry

18. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember reading about your struggles with this a few weeks back phoenix and I replied to some of the threads you created. Just to say that I'm pleased you have arrived at a place where you are now more content. It was a really difficult for you, but you've done what feels best and right for you.

19. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone does have choices when it comes to faith. That's all I will say.

20. White Knight

To me every religion is there to make us better humans. So many fails at this by just being a good <insert any religion here>, forgetting being human and turn into hate spewing monsters.

As long as you be the best human you can then mission accomplished.

(*hug*)