1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Related Tattoos

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by KayJay, Jun 18, 2014.

1. KayJay

I wasn't sure what to call the thread so I'll try to explain a bit better.

I came out a year ago and like everyone (or mostly everyone) it was a hard thing to do. Coming out alone is hard but then shortly after I started my transition. I decided to get a tattoo to sort of signify/celebrate what I have done so far.

The tattoo is of a bear paw (print not a physical paw). It has lots of meaning to me. It represents the strength/fortitude that I have had so far on my journey, it also represents my insane love of bears (not sure why I like bears so much but I do). Funnily enough after I got the tattoo I was reading about a native tribe who believe death comes from over the left shoulder, luckily I now have a bear paw there that will ward off death! I tell that to people who ask about it that I don't feel comfortable sharing my intended meaning.

I'm also planning to add onto it. For each important milestone in my life I will have a new paw done that is smaller than the original and eventually they will trail all the way down the left side of my back.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else has gotten a tattoo or something like that which they relate to their sexuality/gender or LGBT in anyway? Also for those curious, there is totally a picture in my album on my profile page >.>

2. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I've never thought of it, but that sounds really neat <3 I am very bad at tattoo ideas and I'm not going to steal yours but that is so nice :3 Maybe one day I will have the tattoo idea.... but I am a wuss about needles.

3. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I have a little skull on my left palm, below the thumb. It signifies what I've overcome to be who I am today. It's small, but it means a lot to me.

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I ever get a tattoo, it'll be of a butterfly. I value the little innocence in our lives, and the butterfly is a symbol of the transgender community. Plus, butterflies are badass and no one can convince me otherwise. They can change their bodies, for goodness' sake. How is that not badass?

5. BelleFromHell

I don't plan on ever getting a tattoo. I hate needles and tattoos are too permanent for me. I'm sticking to henna. :wink:

Maybe I can make a black triangle on my wrist using henna...

6. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I've been thinking of doing an inverted triangle, but can't decide on the placement. Anyone have any ideas? :help:

7. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your middle finger would be a great choice, so when pushy men are trying to woo you, you can simply flip them off.

Just kidding. Sort of.

I personally would put the triangle on my arm or my face for the sake of visibility. Not really shy about expressing my LGBT pride. But otherwise, it would be on my back. Somewhere.

8. KayJay

Your face? That is a really hardcore spot for a tattoo lol

9. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Face tattoos look awesome. Not too sure about the actual application, though...

10. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To young for one :frowning2: but when I'm old enough I'm getting a little rainbow heart on my neck

11. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't plan on ever getting a tattoo. I've had enough knives and needles go into my body and wouldn't opt to voluntarily have it happen again.

Happy days :slight_smile:

12. Hexagon

That's a lovely idea. I'm considering including a rainbow in my next tattoo.

13. theinvisiblekat

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have a small wolf on my left forearm, getting the tattoo itself was a big part of the meaning though. I wanted to prove to myself I was brave enough to get one and to wear a part of myself on my sleeve( cliche I know). I admire the loyalty and perseverance of the wolf and they happen to be of the species that has same sex relationships.. not that I tell most people the latter.

14. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm considering getting
    "nihi illegitimi carborundum" (never let the bastard grind you down)
    underlined with a thin rainbow but need to get the grammar checked first by a latin lecturer ! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. tscott

I don't have one...yet.

I've been toying with it, since I came out in January. Naturally, my first thought was something with a bear or bear paw. Then I thought about using my family crest, being Scottish it's circular and would fit nicely on my calf. Also thought it would look good with kilts. This lead me to a bear claw wound the Scottish flag showing through the tears. Currently, I'm thinking of a bear colored in with the flag of Scotland, but then i found out that is the emblem of some bear group in Scotland. I teach so it really can't be, or shouldn't be, visible. I saw a bear paw print on someone's neck that was brilliant, but not for me, and I don't want to steal someone else's art. I'm tempted to go to a tattoo artist , have them come up with a design, and then worry about placement.

Comments, opinions, attitudes?