1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

inner voice?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Paisley, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Paisley

Well here I am goofing off at work and not working. But i digress, ever since puberty hit me, I've noticed the voice I hear in my head when I think, read, etc wasn't the same as my actual voice. It was feminine, and well it was me! So ya, do you guys have inner monologues and do they sound at all like your actual voice?

#1 Paisley, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  2. KayJay

Never in my life have I actually thought about the gender of the voice in my head. I just kind of think the voice has no gender. You kind of just blew my mind by making me think about it though.

3. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes my inner voice is male, or at least becoming more masculine, but most of the time it's still female, I guess because I just recently figured out that I'm not exactly female. Maybe it's weird that I still have a female inner voice, though. It doesn't really sound like my real voice, though.

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do, actually, and the voice seems to have no gender.

Sometimes, when people are talking, I imagine their dialogue scrawling across a black screen. If anyone has seen the command prompt on Windows, it's similar to that, but in my mind, and it's constantly narrating everything around me.

Once, I was writhing in pain from a stomach flu, and my inner voice literally narrated, "He keels over, his face contorted in pain."

I wanted to punch it in its face. My conscious is so damn apathetic.

5. Jwis

Interesting... I never thought of that either. After some internal conversation with myself I would also have to say that I could not assign a gender to my voice, and I most certainly identify as male.

6. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I... Don't hear a voice. I mean, it's not like a song in my head where I can 'hear' it. I just think of the words.

7. sunny81

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow I've never thought about this before. I don't think the voice in my head has a gender.

8. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

The inner voice in my head is male, although sometimes when I'm not paying attention it becomes genderless I guess.

9. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never really thought about it, but my inner voice is not at all like my outer voice. It is way more feminine than my outer voice. Although, it doesn't seem to belong to a gender. I don't know, I've never really thought of it. Quite puzzling actually. I like puzzles though, so this should be fun.:grin:

10. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Mine changes between sounding male, female, and neutral depending on my mood, which is confusing to me because I don't see myself as gender fluid.

11. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i have a few of them in my head. i guess that's where my weird train of thoughts come from. although, i do trust em sometimes. they're sometimes dead on about certain things.

12. florence2000

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't think my inner voice has a gender, but it isn't my voice. I have no accent or lisp. Does anyone have a thing where there are two of you, your inner voice and you? I do this so often and end up debating with myself and treating my mind and "me" as two differnt people.

13. Hexagon

My inner voice has no gender. Most of the time, it doesn't really have 'sound'. Of course, no one's inner voice is actually out loud. But I don't imagine it having a sound. It's hard to explain. It's a little more like words on a screen/page. But not exactly. That was a silly example.

Perhaps it shouldn't be called a voice.

14. Nikky DoUrden

When I hum songs in my inner voice, it makes me feel I can sing.
    Then I try to actually sing.
    Mirrors breaks.

15. birdking

^ true facts haha

Yeah I have the same thing, I think that's pretty common? I have a fairly feminine voice in real life but my mind-voice is more neutral, almost masculine. That could be cause I'm trans though I don't know

16. Colours

Exactly this. I don't really feel like it sounds a certain way either. It's like, completely neutral I guess?

17. Cass

Mine depends on what I'm reading
    And when I'm writing the voice becomes that of the character I'm putting on the page

18. DawnEve

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Haven't thought of that actually. I feel like it sounds more feminine and young than what i actually sound like. But on the other hand, a lot of the time it's not actually a voice, more like a thought of a certain word. I don't know about other people who speak different languages, but as I can speak 3 languages I sometimes (depending on the situation) catch myself talking in my mind (to myself) in a different language even if the setting I'm in required me to speak another language. Not sure if I explained that properly :icon_bigg