1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reappropriation of the word "queer"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wuggums47, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

As you may be aware, some people in the LGBT community have taken back the word "queer". Historically it was a pejorative term for gay, however now some LGBT people even use it as a label. As a label, queer just means not heterosexual, but most people I've seen who identify as it don't fit perfectly in to any other definition, or don't want a specific label, for example someone who didn't fit in to gender norms, and thus has trouble identifying as gay or straight.

What do you think about it?

2. Emulator

I think it's quite queer indeed.

It seems to be like an umbrella term for identities that don't have a recognised label yet, or to summarise multiple identities.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I don't mind when other people use it to describe themselves, but I don't like being called queer and I don't like when people apply it to the entire LGBT community as an "umbrella term" as though everyone is comfortable being referred to by it. Basically I think it's a personal choice to use it and people should respect when other people are uncomfortable with the word (it is still used as a slur in some places)

4. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's an okay word if you want to describe yourself with it but don't go using as an umbrella term for every identity out there because not everyone wants to be called queer. I dislike the term and would highly prefer it if someone would refer to my sexuality as it is: Bisexual.

5. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use "queer" instead of LGBT because it's more inclusive and less time-consuming. I know it used to be a slur but I don't personally find it offensive. That seems to be a sentiment that's shared among my 'queer' friends.

6. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I don't like this word.

7. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like hearing it, it doesn't necessarily sound offensive but... i dunno... makes me feel like im different and weird?
    It's a strange one and I'd rather not reappropiate it as that will just lead to it being used even more frequently

8. Weekender

I've never really found it offensive and, when I can, I prefer to identify as queer. Personally, I don't like the connotations associated with "gay" and I hate speaking the word "lesbian".

There's something about the word "queer" that makes me feel more secure, partially because I feel like it emphasizes the fluidity of sexuality, and because I feel like it says "there's nothing wrong with me, I'm just a little queer."

9. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I prefer to say 'queer community' over 'gay community' because not everyone is gay. LGBT is a bit awkward to say in conversation and unless you tack the rest of the letters on it leaves out a lot of people.

I wouldn't call someone queer though, like, "Hey, queer dude." or something. I'm fine calling myself that though.

10. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I use "gay community" and "trans community" when I need to be specific, but I just say LGBT most of the time. I really don't like using the word "queer". Mostly because I don't like the way it sounds.

11. 741852963

As stated in the gay pride thread I am strongly against the reappropriation of the word. If people wish to identify with it, it is their personal choice and I'm powerless to stop them but it should definitely not be used as the umbrella term.

It was (and still is in many parts) a very strong slur and one I'd prefer to hear less of if possible. If you saw a job advert saying "we welcome applications from faggots" or a company saying "we support the poofter community" I'm sure it would be jarring to say the least. But that is essentially what its like now with the word queer, it is just horrible seeing it spread by the wider community. I think appropriation of slurs is a bad idea as it numbs us and makes us forget the damage it has caused historically. Take the word "n*gger". If in 20 years time it is completely reappropriated and is widely accepted, then kids will never be able to grasp the true severity of its use in oppressing black people. A whole chapter of historic struggles made to seem one step less severe in people's minds.

Also queer implies either difference at best or damage at worst. I kind of get why people might choose to use the term, say if they saw themselves as atypical to societal norms but I think its a bit self-defeating. Surely we should make difference "normal", instead of boxing it off as forever (at least semantically) "strange". I think there's also an element involved of straight people thinking "if gay people happily call themselves queer, I can get away with it".

If you look up synonyms for queer you come across: shady, unnatural, demented, crazy suspicious, erratic, unhinged, eerie, disquieting etc It does kind of imply the opposite; something being wrong - hence its origin (straight people describing gay people as queer because we made them uncomfortable or because they thought we were mentally ill).

12. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Queer, historically, literally means odd.

That's pretty much saying being straight and cis is the norm, which is a... thought provoking phrase.

It's very much true that there are more straight cis person than not, but I like to think there really isn't a norm. We're all together in this.

I, personally, would not use queer as a label, but reclaiming it is better than leaving it as an insult.

13. Hexagon

I'm strongly in favor.

14. 741852963

But leaving queer as an insult will mean it will eventually be found only in history books (it'll die out along with homophobia). Reclaiming it means we will be stuck with it forever like a scar.

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, we could say the same about the word "gay", since in some contexts, it can mean ridiculous, pointless, or drawing strong disapproval.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have read a lot of people on the forum saying that they find the word offensive, and they've asked us to stop using the word.

Unfortunately, many of the same people also seem not to have the slightest concern about us coming up with a word that actually includes everyone, and they seem to want us to stick with the cumbersome and reductive LGBT or various other kinds of alphabet soups that they know full well nobody else will like or care to adopt.

They seem to just want us to stop using "queer."

Which I refuse to do.

17. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's true, I suppose, but I don't think it would be a scar. It would be something better. That's the entire point of reclaiming a word.

18. Weekender

You also come across funny, eccentric, oddball, puzzling, atypical, quaint, remarkable, and uncommon. Obviously the word has many different connotations that will only offend me if I choose to let them offend me.

On a similar note, this article by the University of Pittsburgh observes that the two versions of queer ("odd" queer and "bad" queer) were developed more or less independently of one another, with "odd" queer mostly being the version attributed to homosexuals.

#18 Weekender, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  19. 741852963

After being on the receiving end of it by homophobes, is it really a surprise why we find it offensive?

Its a tricky one sure, and you are definitely right the ever expanding acronyms are tiresome, but you act like queer was the only viable word in the English dictionary that could have been used. Why on earth could people not have picked a more neutral word, i.e. not a known slur?

Well its patently obvious that you will keep using it. If the word makes you happy or even gives you a thrill from being radical, cool or edgy, good for you. Just spare a thought to the people you may be hurting by your choice of words.

20. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like it, and won't be using it in reference to myself. What other people do is not important to me.