1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Asterisk In Trans*

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nychthemeron, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hullo, everyone.

I'm sure many of you have been told that the asterisk was a good addition to the trans label. But is it really?

The asterisk, in my opinion, is over-inclusive. Trans is simply a short form of transgender, which should already be inclusive enough. Both binary and non-binary genders fall under trans, so why add the asterisk?

Some people say it includes crossdressers, drag queens, etc. However, crossdressers and drag queens are not necessarily trans. They can be cis as well. Including these people under the trans label by way of the asterisk is mislabeling and, as I said before, over-inclusive.

Excluding these people is not offensive. While some crossdressers, drag queens, etc. are trans, others are not. They identify with their birth gender, and therefore, they are cis. Not trans. Not transgender, which is all trans stands for.

A few articles, like this one, claims that the label trans only applies to binary genders. This is not true. Transsexual is the term I use for binary trans people. Transgender includes transsexuals and genders like bigender, gender fluid, agender, pangender, two-spirited, and so on.

A note on the word transsexual:

In my opinion, this word holds the same weight as the word homosexual. Many people have used homosexual in a derogatory, offensive way, such as, "Ugh, he's a homosexual." That's why it's more common to see homosexual used as an adjective, not a noun. Similarly, transsexual is also more commonly used as an adjective, not a noun, although people still use it as a noun non-offensively because they feel like they need to reclaim the term.

I don't want to start an argument. I want to start a civilized discussion, and I'm not saying anyone is wrong by placing an asterisk in trans. I just want to see how people view this, my explanation, and their reasons behind using trans* or just trans. Hopefully that's alright.

2. Techno Kid

I agree, the asterisk is not needed in order to included all Trans folk. Trans works fine by itself. :slight_smile:

...I use one in my gender though...only because I think it looks better. XD

#2 Techno Kid, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  3. drumdreez

I agree! I used to use the asterisk but a friend of mine and I had a discussion a couple of months ago, like this one, and after reading up on it, I don't think the asterisk is necessary at all. Trans, as you said, encompasses everything already. The asterisk is just an addition, one that isn't crucial to the label at all. :slight_smile:

4. Ridiculous

Trans is a Latin word meaning 'moving across' or something to that effect. You're right it does seem to be used mostly as a shorthand for transgender though, which is the reason why I like to put the wildcard * on it to explicitly show I am referring to more than just transgender people.

5. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I think of it as this. Imagine an advert. They have a point they are trying to get across.

I am Trans*

*inquire further for specification

They get the point, you are not cis gender. Then you specify. It is inclusive to avoid confusion and not weed out those who are farther out under the umbrella. It's better to be too inclusive than exclusive.

#5 Jay47, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014
  6. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get your point, haha. But what do you mean, more than transgender people? What others are you referring to?

Ah, that's a new way to look at it. Haven't really thought of it that way before, but I still don't see how it's exclusive to remove the asterisk. Is it uncommon to think transgender is both inclusive to binary and non-binary genders?

EDIT: Also, people don't really say "I am sexual*" when they're discussing things with asexual people, but there are many, many sexual orientations. Is this different?

7. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I apply it to myself, as genderqueer. If I were to simply type that I am trans, people would assume I am going from my binary birth sex, to the opposite binary gender. With the asterisk, I am saying I could fall somewhere between binary genders, without having to say so immediately.
    People are much more easy going with sexuality than defying what you have on your birth certificate. I'd rather we just use something like this than a bunch of words.
    Male______|_______Female
    If you're agender, you don't put the line. >.<
    But that'd be too easy.

8. Ridiculous

Transexual, gender fluid, and genderqueer, and non-gendersterotype-conforming words like transvestite and whatever else. Basically everything that isn't 100% cis.

9. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah, I see. So it's pretty much a problem with society not being as aware of non-binary genders, or am I misunderstanding something?

To Ridiculous:

Ah, but in my opinion, they're already included in the transgender label. Why should they not?

10. Acm

Acm Guest

I never use the asterisk. It just seems unnecessary to me. Trans works fine by itself because trans=transgender, and both binary and nonbinary trans people count as trans.

11. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

For me, yes. That would actually be a good poll.
    "Do you use the * in trans*?"
    I am agender and I do
    I am agender and I don't
    I am genderqueer and I do

And the same for mtf, ftm, two-spirit, etc

12. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, alright. Thanks for clearing that up! And yeah, you're right, it would be. It's too bad I didn't think of that earlier. Sorry. I guess it'd be the same if people just commented, though.

13. Ridiculous

Don't ask me, I'm not trans* :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I've just seen people who use terms other than transgender to describe themselves, so I try to make it clear I'm including them. (For the same reason I say 'LGBT' and 'marriage equality', rather than just 'gay' and 'gay marriage', because there are lesbians and bisexuals/pansexuals/etc. who don't like being lumped in with gay.)

14. stormborn

usually i just type out transgender because i don't know if i should put the asterisk or not... :lol:

15. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think a lot of people use the asterisk just to clarify that they're using trans as an all-inclusive term, because even if it's not true, a lot of people assume trans just refers to binary genders. Even if it is technically unnecessarily, I think a lot of people wouldn't know that trans without the asterisk also refers to nonbinary identities.

16. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To Ridiculous:

Haha, I see.

I know what you mean about using terms other than transgender, however, but I'm not quite sure how trans* doesn't consider them as... well, transgender.

I view it like how I view the labels lesbian and gay woman - some people prefer one over the other, some people don't care. If people don't like the word transgender to describe them, they are free to use labels like MtF, FtM, genderqueer, non-binary, agender, gender fluid, etc. - pretty much everything that's more specific than just transgender.

Regardless of what they are, if they fit in the description of transgender, they're transgender. It's just not required for them to actually say, "Hey, I'm transgender." They don't even have to adopt a more specific label if they don't want to. They can say, "I was born female, but I'm male now" or anything of the sort.

To stormborn:

Yeah, I know what you mean, haha. I might as well start doing that too. Seems like it's the safest way, in case people get offended.

To darkcomesoon:

Unfortunately, that's true. I think it has more to do with how people are unaware of non-binary people in general instead of the actual term, though. Someone once posted that they used the asterisk because it made people inquire what it means, therefore spreading awareness. That's one way to go about it, but I would really like to see more awareness without the asterisk someday.

#16 Nychthemeron, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  17. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. I mean, I prefer the word "transsexual" myself (as you can see), but I think your reasoning here is spot-on. :eusa_clap

18. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wait... That's a thing? I thought EC just did that for some unknown reason...

19. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To An Gentleman:

Hah, yeah, I know. I would prefer to use it, actually, but like the word queer, some are offended by it and I don't feel comfortable with it.

To Tai:

Yup. Honestly, I think I thought the same thing when I first saw the asterisk. People were telling me that it was better, so I just went along with it, but after some research I decided I didn't really agree with its use.

20. Emulator

I've never really understood what the asterisk means, but then I've never had reason to use it. Transgender encompasses all, though there are an infinite amount of labels (which some claim to be different from transgender) and that calls for a wildcard.