1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How easily do you cry?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Colours, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Colours

I'm asking this because it's been impossible for me to cry since my early teens. The last time I remember was when I was 14. I think it's because when I was a kid, I used to cry pretty fast and especially when my parents were mad at me. And they always got even angrier when I did. "Why are you crying? I'm not even hurting you! I'll give you a reason to cry if you want me to!!!!"

I think it's a sign of bad parenting for 1. not acknowledging that emotional pain is also pain and 2. convincing your kid that crying is weak or only okay when you're in physical pain. I see my sister now doing the same thing to her son and I hate when she does it. But that's a different discussion I guess.

I think that this has been said to me so many times that it's been carved in the walls of my brain that crying is not okay, is weak, and shouldn't happen ever.

I have experienced different kinds and levels of sadness over the past years especially, but I have not been able to cry. I mean everything is there, the sadness, the craving a moment of crying, the lump in my throat, etc, even the repetitive thought of "crying is okay, healthy, not weak, just do it ffs" But to no avail - my eyes will become a little moist but no tears are flowing at all.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this? What could I do about it?

2. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I try to act really cool and tough but break down into tears really easily, like, seeing a baby movie in theaters? Oh shit I feelin them tears coming.....

Your parents and now sister sound like they were pretty bad at the handling child emotions thing, no offense. But if your eyes just aien't feelin it then it aient feeling it I guess. Alternatively it might be a hydration thing idk maybe talk to a doctor??? Or therapy if it's a emotional thing?

3. Hexagon

Not since I started testosterone, two years ago. It's like, no matter how hard I tried to suppress it before, when something bad happened, there was an instinct to cry. Now the same thing happened. And now the same thing can happen, and the instinct just isn't there anymore. It's weird. My eyes tend to become more lubricated when I'm tired, but that isn't the same.

4. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not easily. I just get angry. I get teary-eyed occasionally, but it's been years since I properly cried. I guess it's been a while since I've had a reason to cry.

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can relate entirely. Well not to the parents telling me not to part, but aside from that.

I essentially have to be on verge of psychological breakdown. And I am sad, depressed, constantly, but I can never seem to cry. I always assumed it was due to depression, I suppose.

6. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I break out in tears very easily. It's so stupid sometimes.
    For example in school. When someone is mad at me or I got a bad grade I have to force myself not to cry. It's hard but I managed it to never break out in tears in public.
    Ok, once I did. But that doesn't count. It was a campground.

Maybe if you stop wanting to cry. If you do that.

7. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. That is bad parenting.

I'm of the opinion that crying is, indeed, OK and it's not a sign of weakness. If you're not afraid to cry, that shows you're brave.

But, just because crying is OK doesn't mean you have to do it. Not being able to cry or refusing to cry doesn't signify a lack of compassion. You just don't have any wet stuff coming out of your eyes. That's it.

I used to cry all the time. Sometimes I still do. Now I'm more prone to get angry instead, and occasionally, I get so angry that I... well, cry.

You know that movie Up? My little sister cried three times. I cried eight times. I just kept attaching more and more emotional meaning to it than I was supposed to. Something about that movie was just too sad for me.

And yes, I cried at the credits. Damn movie.

But, other than that, if someone called me a mean word or if someone is mistreating me, about eight to nine times out of ten I'll get angry instead of teary-eyed.

8. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I'm sorry your parents were like that, sweetie.

As for me, I can almost break my jaw and not cry... Then bawl my eyes out at a values.com tv commercial. Pain, no crying. Dude with skinned knees finishing a marathon, boom.

9. Techno Kid

Wish I was able to cry more, but I can't. :'(

10. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't even when it would feel nice. I've been thinking, maybe my body can't produce tears. I have a problem with dry eyes, especially in the morning.

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's just as hard to make me cry as it is to piss me off. And neither are very easy.

12. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Testosterone directly affects your crying, I think. It's why a lot of trans men experience less crying bouts after they're on T for a bit.

Low testosterone = more liable to cry.
    More testosterone = less liable to cry.

In my opinion, crying doesn't really measure how emotional you are. It's just leakage from your eyes.

13. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i have a problem in crying because im really a very sensitive person and i find it weird not to cry on some stuff that are worth it like the death of a friend is a really big reason to and even though im not crying
    sad movies are making my eyes about to cry but i dont
    and as someone said when i get angry my eyes get teary too ^^
    since last year something has gone wrong with me and im not able to express my feelings like i always do i feel like im keeping everything inside from how much stress that happens oh well that must be bad i wonder what would happen when im going to blow up
    though i did cry today in the morning but it was like the moment i got my tears down i wiped them away and stopped idk why i wish i didnt i really wanted to cry and get it all out

14. Hexagon

Yep. I was startled by how drastic it was. Like a little switch was flicked between crying and anger.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much never. How To Train Your Dragon 2 got me XD but that was sort of a fluke. Guys' crying is still sort of stigmatized so I don't feel bad that I don't cry, but I do wish I did a little more frequently.

16. Hiems

While watching heart-wrenching movies, I cry easily. Bridegroom made me cry so much... >.<

17. Colours

Your replies are giving me some insight. :slight_smile: Interesting.

I actually also get this during sad movies - I mean, the whole crying thing, emotion, lump in throat, just no tears. Which causes it to go away so fast and sometimes I want to be sad just a little longer, haha.

Come to think of it, I do have rather sensitive (maybe dry?) eyes, so I guess it could have to do with that as well.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I can feel sadness or pity fairly easily, but as for crying, it has been a while. I've shed a tear before, if I've seen a sad scene in a movie, for example, but for me to bawl... that takes a lot. A damn lot.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind having a good cry. It's been years, and I find it perfectly normal and healthy. The last time I broke down into tears was, the beginning of my overcoming depression and anger, all those years ago. I had to let these out, so I could let the better in.

One thing I've noticed is, in trying to be a strong example for the world around me, I've begun to neglect myself emotionally, at times, because someone has to be the pillar of stability. Somebody has to be the foundation.

19. awesomeness

I shed a tear at really sad movies sometimes. But that's it.

20. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't cry very often, but it's not hard for me to do it. I can even bring tears to my eyes just by thinking about things that upset me a lot. When I was a little kid, it was impossible for me not to cry because of silly things. I still do, but not from so insignificant things like before.
    I don't think that crying makes you weak, it's a way to let out the emotional pain you're experiencing. So when I feel like crying, I don't try to suppress it. I look for a more appropriated place where nobody'd notice what I'm doing since I believe that hiding your feelings is unhealthy and doing so would give me physical pain, besides it'd make me feel like I'm lying to the other people about my emotions.
    So... It's works in the reverse way for me. Even though my parents argued a lot with me because of this behavior.

It looks like your family is not very good at dealing with the emotion of their kids and here's the result... I don't know how to help you with this, sorry. Crying is just a natural reaction for me and I have no idea how to make someone else do it.