1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acne

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by the prince, Jun 20, 2014.

1. the prince

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What do cause them to appear ? and what is the best way to get rid of them ?
    I've heard that chocolate and masturbation causes them, is that true ?

I'd like to have a clear skin :dry:.

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have no idea if it's true, but I heard cutting off greasy foods can help a whole bunch.

3. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

It's caused by bacteria and clogged pores. Wash your face more, use peroxide on a cotton ball. Chocolate and masturbation don't cause anything but happiness. Any face wash with charcoal also helps a lot.

4. lionfood

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chocolate may actually cause acne (or at least not make it any better) so try not to eat too much of that, but knock yourself out with masturbation. That doesn't cause anything.
    Except maybe carpal tunnel syndrome, if you really go nuts.
    You should wash your face every day, maybe twice, but don't let it get too dried out by harsh soap. I use emollient cream (I think that's what it's called) in the shower on my face. I also have this spot cream called Quinoderm that's super effective.

Also, don't use face scrubs much. They heck things up.
    And you can put toothpaste on spots overnight and it dries them out!

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you have oily skin, it could be because your skin is dry. You could try to use an oil free moisturizer and see if that helps any.

Also, you'll want some facewash that exfoliates. This will help unclog your pores.

6. Ridiculous

Nope. Pimples are caused by the acne vulgaris bacteria. If they are provided with a suitable environment they will grow rapidly and form a pimple. The pimple is mostly caused by your body trying to fight against them - pus is spent fluid and white blood cells that were used by your body to try to kill off the bacteria, and the redness of the pimple is caused by your body inflaming the area to kill the bacteria.

Chocolate and masturbation are not going to introduce acne bacteria, nor are they going to make it easier for them to grow in your skin.

The acne bacteria feed on sebum (the oily feeling stuff), which is produced naturally by your skin. If one of your pores gets blocked for some reason (e.g. sebum overproduction, overwashing your skin making it dry, not washing your skin enough) then sebum will remain trapped in the pore, providing the bacteria a perfect place to grow.

Sebum production increases during puberty, and your skin also thickens, which both combine to make pimples quite common.

If you want to get rid of pimples, you need to either kill the bacteria or stop your pores from blocking (or both, because usually just doing one won't work very well). Washing your skin regularly but not too often, with a gentle cleanser will help with stopping the pores from blocking. Use moisturiser afterwards as dry skin becomes blocked more easily (and will encourage sebum production).
    There are medicated creams you can use to kill bacteria, like benzoyl peroxide. If those don't work, a dermatologist may prescribe antibiotics.

7. AlamoCity

I am on low-dose antibiotics and put benzoyl peroxide cream on my face at night. That keeps most pimples at bay. Also, if I have a very oily skin day (where my face is particularly oily), I use a special soap that is made of 10% sulfur; the soap really dries out my skin, and in a good way :slight_smile:.

Regarding foods, I find that drinking milk, and eating oily foods sometimes produce breakouts, but I have not done a food journal to see if this is actually true for me.

8. the prince

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the tips :slight_smile:.

I do have an oily skin :dry: is that bad ?

9. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

You won't age as fast, so in the long run, it's a good thing.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it's not, and it can be healthier for your skin in the long term. I have oily skin, and it just means that I have to wash it pretty regularly.

Don't touch your face apart from to clean it. That's helped me with pimples before. Don't eat unhealthy foods (so yes, keep the chocolate to a minimum, but it's mainly really oily stuff like chips/crisps etc.), and try different soaps. I've found that really gentle soap and a face-cloth has really helped; I don't get pimples any more.

Also, it's good to do a fair bit of exercise. It helps keep your skin healthy and looks better, even if it won't prevent pimples that much.

11. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i have read all sorta of dumb conflicting shit about acne and while i only have the occasional small cluster now i still hate it but it is life and am happy the number of zits have reduced.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I told my pimples they acne-ed to get the hell up out of my life.

I'm sorry. I saw an opening!

But seriously, there's some sound advice here. They oily want what's best...

I'm sorry! I'm sorry!

:lol:

13. AlamoCity

[​IMG]

14. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know for me personally I never really got a bunch of acne. However I know one thing that gets rid of it, at least for me, is called noxema. You can get it at walmart and it's under $10 for a pretty big container of it. I put some on my face whenever I go to take a bath and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes then wash it off. It will get rid of any pimples you have and will help keep your face clean.

15. the prince

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No problem :lol:.

---------- Post added 21st Jun 2014 at 05:05 PM ----------

How could exercise make my skin looks better :confused: ?

---------- Post added 21st Jun 2014 at 05:07 PM ----------

I doubt I could find noxzema here :dry:.

16. Colours

I used to have some acne as well, but now I've only got the occasional pimple that I suppose everyone has. I used to sleep with a towel on my pillow for ages (cause that was supposed to help), but it didn't really make much of a difference. I tried a few different products for washing and moisturizing, and what I do now is use a facewash every night and moisturize after so your skin gets to recover over night. Also, I drink way more water now, like around five glasses a day. I also drink my coffee without sugar and rarely drink soda anymore, maybe a few times a week. I ditched the towel to see what it would do, and it made no difference. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But then again there are different kinds of acne/skin conditions. I think mine wasn't actually the common acne kind, but then again my tips could work for anyone.

About the exercising: your skin is (for most people) pretty much a reflection of how healthy you live your life. Exercising is healthy. So it makes your skin look better. Also the sweating removes dirt and stuff from your pores, thus making your pores less likely to clog.

#16 Colours, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  17. girlpower

Apart from bacteria causing it. it could also be a result of some hormonal changes with growing age... you should consult a dermatologist to know the actual cause of it. they might ask you to get some blood test done.

18. justjade

All I can say is do not pick at them, no matter how annoying they are. I spent most of my teen years picking at my face, and now I have acne scars on my cheeks. Trust me, you don't want that.