1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queer/ questioning

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caelestis, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Caelestis

Ok. I reall don't know much about the "Q" part of LGBTQIA. Can someone who is explain the whole "gender-queer" thug to me. Also I have some questions about questioning people. Do ou guys eventually make up your mind? And what exactly are you questioning? The nature of your sexuality?? I don't mean to offed anyone and if I do, I'm sorry. I'm genuinely curious

2. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Genderqueer is a gender identity. What do you would to know exactly?

About if I was questioning, I believe I was straight but now I understood I'm pansexual.

3. Caelestis

What I meant about gender queer. What is it exactly? Is it like transgender?

4. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

You could classify it as that, yes. It means you do not fit into a binary gender. Not in appearance, but who you truly are. I classify myself as genderqueer.

5. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Genderqueer means is sort of a default term for any identity that is neither man nor woman. Just as some bio males are really women, and some biological females are really men in their identity, some people are something else entirely. There are different kinds though, there are people who feel nuetral or agender, people who feel androgynous, people who feel like they are cycling between two or more genders, etc… This is far from a recent concept, in India there has been three socially accepted genders for a long time. The third is called Hijra, and is used for biological males that are feminine, although it's a little more complex than just that. Similarly the Bugis people in Indonesia have 5 genders, one of which encompasses both male and female known as bissu. In other words the idea that only 2 genders exist is a social construct, and this is referred to as the gender binary. Genderqueer people can also be referred to as non-binary.

Hope that explains it well enough, I understand that for many people the idea of more than two genders is pretty confusing, but we're here to stay, and hopefully some day more than two genders will be recognized as legitimate.

6. SunSparks

What ^ and ^^ said. Most of the genderqueer people I know do not want to be defined by a binary gender or man or woman. Instead, they choose really to not be defined by the binary genders. At my school, we are taking back the word 'queer' to mean weird, different, etc. Straight, gay, trans, whatever - anyone can be queer. I know a queer straight guy and a queer straight girl. I know a queer gay guy as well.