1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dan Savage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

What is your opinion of him? While the it gets better project is a nice idea, Savage himself appears to be a bit of a trans and biphobic pratt

2. Acm

Acm Guest

At first I thought he seemed cool but a lot of the stuff he said was pretty offensive so I don't think I like him anymore

3. Techno Kid

Don't like him for the reason you listed.. :tantrum:

Soooo Dan is pretty Savage. :/

#3 Techno Kid, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's gross. The transphobic and biphobic comments are bad enough, but they're not all he's said. :dry:

Here's a lovely piece of affirming positivity from him - "First off, LARDASS, you neglected to include a sign-off, forcing me to create one for you. I tried to create one that captured the spirit and tone of your letter, and I think I did pretty well… I am thoroughly annoyed at having my tame statements of fact—being heavy is a health risk; rolls of exposed flesh are unsightly—characterized as ‘hate speech.’"

Yeah, and he's done plenty more than just that.

5. BelleFromHell

This sums up how I view Dan Savage.
    [​IMG]

While I think the "It gets Better" project is great, I've never liked Dan Savage. Hell, if someone else thought of the project and he took credit for someone else's idea, I wouldn't be surprised.

Calling Mary Cheney a "useless dyke" was the last straw for me. If I see him on the street, I won't hesitate to kick his face in.

6. Acm

Acm Guest

It's weird how he's viewed as a champion of LGBT people (teenagers) but he doesn't seem to like trans or bi people at all :dry:

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How delightfully understated of you. :slight_smile:

8. AlamoCity

Before I heard of his transphobic and biphobic comments, I always felt that he was a yuppie, Williams-Sonoma-dinner-party-throwing kind of gay that was oblivious to the plights of others in the LGBT community and was not the right "face" for the LGBT community.

After I saw his comments, I can honestly say he is one of the things that's wrong with the "gay community."

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never been able to stand him. Among other things is his pompous, arrogant, smarmy attitude. He acts like such the sex expert, but has no degrees in anything related to sex, biology, or psychology, yet is somehow some kind of guru. He also strikes me as a bit 'vanilla', and though he seems to try to make people feel OK about fetishes and such, there's this sense he's not all that comfortable about it, and is in fact rather up-tight.

You hit the nail on the head, there. He exudes this sense of wealth and entitlement, and never addresses the economic constraints faced by so many LGBT people on the road to 'it gets better'. Not everyone is able to go to college, and move to a liberal, metropolitan (costly) area. I don't think he's ever really covered the issue of homelessness among gay youth, those that run away, and those living in poverty.

#9 HuskyPup, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  10. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Can't remember a time I've gone out my way to read something he's written. From all I've heard about the guy, I don't get the feeling I'm missing out on much.

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This man has said mean things about lesbians too:tantrum:

12. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i dont even know him :confused:

now i hate HIM ! :angry:

13. Caillin

Id rather throw up than have a conversation with him..

14. Beware Of You

As I said the It Gets Better project is a nice idea (although someone else would have done it I guess, like Ian McKellen did in the UK with Stonewall) and naming the bi-product of being a bottom Santorum was hilarious but this really upset me, being someone who supports trans* people

One of my friends sent me it on twitter : A Letter to "Activist" Dan Savage, Who Continues to Bully My Trans Sibling

He then made this kid (who was 14 AFAIK) apologise to HIM

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/ar...te-crime-i-committed-at-university-of-chicago

If they want to use "it" as a pronoun its their choice right? In my opinion its not a very nice one but its not my right to dictate to them.

Its also hypocritical coming from a man who wants to be addressed as "Hey Faggot"

#14 Beware Of You, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  15. 741852963

I only know him from those dreadful shows like "Sex Box". I can't say I warmed to him, and I'm really not sure what qualifies him as a "sexpert" (sleeping around a lot does not equal being good at sex).

He just comes across as a promiscuous scenester if I'm honest.

16. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think your all taking him a bit too seriously. He's just a "sexpert" what ever the hell that means. Like it's rocket science or something. I watched some videos of him on youtube and he says a lot of these comments in a tongue and cheek way without really knowing what he's talking about.

My point is that he is an idiot who has no power hence I don't care what he thinks.

17. Beware Of You

However he is frequently a talking head on US TV about LGBT issues and therefore makes us all look bad