1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you keep yourself fit

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by girlpower, Jun 22, 2014.

1. girlpower

Hi all! i was interested to know what is the most common workout people do to keep themseleves fit. i have been very regular to gym till last year, but it was getting monotonous so i almost stopped going... now i want to start off with something else.. but not just cardio there has to be strength training involved too. any suggestions? :slight_smile:

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Running or just going for a walk.
    If you're more into muscle building I would try some pushups with music:grin:

3. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go to the gym (both cardio and muscle/weight training) at least four times a week, I run, I play soccer and I go boxing :slight_smile:

4. girlpower

Hei. how you doing. thanks! but isn't running/walking a part of just cardio activities? i was wondering what could be done to gain more muscle strength? like in gym it'l be done by lifting weights...

5. girlpower

thanks. not sure if i can go for soccer or boxing :slight_smile: but yeah this gives me an idea of joining a sport activity like lawn tennis may be.

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2014 at 07:26 PM ----------

Hey! hope you doing good. i had missed your second sentence earlier :slight_smile: pushups with music sounds cool .. could be done easily at home.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't. But my workout right now is cleaning my house and I get worked up doing that.

7. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Martial arts. You keep pace or prepared to get kicked and punched.

I love it...

Happy days :slight_smile:

8. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

I go around 4/5 times a week. Sessions of HIIT and then hitting different groups of muscles in the weight room depending on the day. I use a 26 week program from a website, paid for but works out to a couple of dollars a week (or is it month) I know you can get them free but this includes a diet program if you want it ( I don't use it) and gives you visual aids for the movements.

9. Hiems

During the Spring semester, I did a strength training (mostly compound exercises) at my university's gym using a regimen from bodybuilding.com forums.

Now that I'm at home for summer, I don't have access to the gym. And I'm too poor to afford gym membership, so I'm running 3 miles a day on my treadmill at home haha.

I also went on calorie deficit diet. I loveee chia seeds :grin: Best thing ever.

I've been doing this for a month and lost 10 pounds. This is good because I have a family history of hyperlipidemia that I want to avoid.

10. girlpower

Hey thanks everyone for some really good advice. i'd like to try some of it.

and i have now been reading about chia seeds health benefits. thanks:slight_smile:

11. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I... Walk my dogs? I eat basically junk, it's all I can afford.

12. I just do push-ups first thing in the morning. Then in the afternoon, I lift weights and go on the treadmill. At nighttime, I do core exercises (plank position, crunches, reverse crunches, and flutter kicks).

For me, it's better to spread out my workout throughout the day.

13. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Looking at all that these other people go through makes me so grateful for my metabolism. 5'8", 133 lbs, and really happy I don't have to do an exercise routine (yet)(!!)

14. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rope skipping. Just need a bit of space, gym mat and the rope of course. Easy exercise and less harsh on joints than running.

I also have a home gym and treadmill, but definitely recommend skipping for ease and convenience.

15. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Not everyone does a gym routine to lose weight etc etc. Some do it because they genuinely enjoy it :icon_wink

16. Yosia

Skipping rope, gymnastics, playing football and rarely other sports like temmis. ^.^

17. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I do a lot of walking (everyday) and lift weights a couple times a week.

18. Hexagon

I lift weights and run sometimes. Not enough.

19. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

I go out a lot because the summer program I'm in. I eat healthy and try to work out every week.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Ah... keeping fit.

First of all, if you haven't started, it isn't going to be something you can easily jump into. If you don't do it much, then you know how difficult it can be to keep it up. But, like with everything you've allowed into your life, it can be incorporated. You just have to force yourself for a bit, and eventually, it'll become a habit. I don't suggest this, but to give you a personal example, I smoke cigarettes. I didn't smoke at least once a day at first, it took time. While smoking is easier to pick up than working out, the point remains. Just get into a routine, whenever you have the time, because one excuse... makes the next oh-so-much easier to accept. Before you know it, weeks have passed, and nothing to show for it but regret.

Now, what do I do? Well, it depends a lot on my mood, but in general this is my routine:

I wake up and drink a glass of milk. I hardly eat a whole meal for breakfast, but I will grab a single pancake or a bowl of cereal, when I do. This probably isn't the most ideal or healthy, but it works for me.

After this, I will meditate for a while. This is followed with stretching the body. These two activities can take up to 30 minutes to 1 hour. If I'm really into my meditation, I might go 1 1/2 hours or 2.

I don't suggest this either, but it has worked for me. I have body weights I bought, and I wear them on my arms, my legs, and my torso. It's resistance, which makes my body get more out of it. Just a simple activity like walking down a grocery store aisle, or a single push-up, becomes extra activity. With these, I'll go for a jog or light run, about 1 or 2 blocks.

Following this, I'll dive into my pool. No weights. I do simple motions, but nothing serious until I've cooled off. Then, I'll swim a few laps. One way, atop of water, the other way, beneath the water.

After this, I dry off, then eat something, like a bowl of cereal. Just a heads up, I love some cereal. I'll put the weights back on, and head to my garage where I do sit ups, push ups, and jumping jacks. With the weights, I'm getting more of my activities. Doing these three things for about 30 minutes, I'll remove the weights, and try and do as much of the three as possible. Usually removing the weights, gives me a second wind of energy.

By this time, I'm pretty tired. So, I punch and kick a punching bag. Slowly at first, to kind of give me time to cool off, and work up to it. If possible, I keep the weights on. If I have to remove them, that's fine. Some days I'm more motivated than others.

I'm generally done here. Unless you count the occasional tennis game with an associate, or a park-going stranger, of mine. Or a later dip in the pool. Or a random stroll around some blocks... okay, okay. Anything beyond this point, is just something I'd normally do anyway, LOL.

I can get all of this under my belt, in about 3 or 4 hours. Maybe 5, if I'm lagging behind for some reason. This is including any time I eat, cool off, or stretch/meditate.

It's a bitch, but in a little while, when you begin seeing results, and feeling limitations give way, you'll feel fan-fucking-tastic. The confidence and sense of accomplishment it generates, is amazing.