1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disorders in the eyes of society.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CharlsOn, Jun 22, 2014.

1. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Recently I recognized sth I think that's worth talking about.
    When society or in general people are talking about disorders then only cause they want to cure them or make them go away and cause the people living with them are different to mainstream society.
    For example, cutting.

Cutting is bad, it destroys you.

But what if cutting is just sth like smoking (what's btw more tolerated)?
    It helps some people to cope, keeps them from going crazy.
    Yea, it's different to the rest of people but that doesn't matter.
    Cause it's just a thing that happens sometimes and if the one that has it don't want to be cured or sth this person shouldn't be forced to it.

So my question is:
    Should disorders be treated differently or the same as it has always been?
    As disorders that have to be cured and it doesn't matter if the person wants it or not.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and this is just some kind of naive teenie thought.
    If so, tell me why.
    If not, tell me why.

2. girlpower

Food for thought. but any disorder which harms you physically or mentally and makes you unhappy need to be cured. the one who has this disorder might not be in a condition to judge and decide for himself. some might not even be aware that they have some kind of disorder, they feel it to be normal and they would not know there are a lot of other things to life until they are cured. however i agree family/friends should not force them into a certain treatment, the thought of which might trigger or increase the disorder in them.

3. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

That's a point somehow.
    But if this disorder does no harm to the person itself.
    Or the person is ok with it and can deal with it.
    Or is this bullshit?

4. BelleFromHell

I think cutting is better than smoking. When you cut, you're only doing harm to yourself, but when you SMOKE, you're harming everyone around you (unless you smoke away from people, but most smokers don't care enough to do that).

While we're on the subject of "disorders," I have bipolar disorder, and people have used it as an excuse to treat me like shit.

And, yes. Disorders need to be treated differently than they are now. I constantly live in fear of people finding out that I am manic-depressive. At this point, I can't even trust my own family. Whenever I ask a doctor about it, they make me fill out a sheet with information that is really none of their business, and try to pressure me into taking medication.

Disorders definitely need to be treated, but the way we go about it is absolutely unacceptable.

5. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Yea, that's right. I fully agree.
    I have to wear long sleeves cause I don't want my family to see my cuts.
    They would freak out.

But how can we, citiziens, change that?

6. girlpower

You could read blogs/articles on internet of those who have got the treatment done (any sort of treatment, not necessarily the conventional one which most doctors suggest) and are doing fine, and feeling better than ever? This might help you find your answers. ofcourse taking medications, getting into a treatment and allowing yourself into a certain lifestyle will make you uncomfortable for a while, but atleast you should give it a try if anything interests you and gives you hope. Everyone hates change, they are used to a certain type of living and surroundings, they are afraid to see life from a different angle, from a different aspect.

i'd personally suggest to seek help, any sort of help.. as i said not necessarily conventional ways. whatever makes you feel like trying it... Read, gather as much information from internet/friends/doctor/anyone.

7. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Yea, sure.
    But what if I don't want to be treated?
    What if I feel ok that way?
    Isn't it just society and the doctors that say so?

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you are completely wrong CharlsOn. I do think a lot of it is due to the stigma associated with emotional problems and mental health issues and the general lack of public awareness.

To the uninformed person, cutting will only be seen from one perspective - a harmful action that must be stopped at all costs. To people with more awareness, it's seen from a different angle as they appreciate the greater harm that may arise from suicidal ideation, without the option to cut. Cutting is a coping mechanism for so many and complete withdrawal would be infinitely more harmful. That's not to say it's a healthy coping mechanism, but it does need to be seen for what it is.

If society were better educated, we may not have the huge issues with stigma in mental health. I'd like to hope so, anyway. As it stands, education and awareness is poor or non-existent, so we have this constant myth spreading and negativity surrounding issues like self injury and suicide. It's this negativity that holds people back from seeking help and support when it's most needed.

#8 PatrickUK, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  9. girlpower

disorders need to be treated because they increase with time and gets out of control. get them treated in the initial stage so as to spare yourself from extreme situations.
    there must be a reason why they are categorized as 'disorders'. give it a try atleast for sometime... if it doesn't make you feel better even after given good enough time then you always have the option to go back to your old lifestyle...

10. Yosia

This has made me think, smoking pretty much kills you, cutting doesnt unless you do it really really badly and bleed to death. Yet if you tell someone you smoke they dont care but if you tell someone you cut you will be rushed to the doctors?

11. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Yea, that's also the thing I find pretty interesting.
    Smoking and cutting are somewhat things that help to cope.
    But they're treated differently.
    Why?

12. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    for me its the opposite, if someone smokes i tend to not want to be around them but, if someone cuts i would tend to sympathize and try to to help them if i can, that has sorta changed as i discovered one of the reasons i have long nails, i sometimes prick or slash my skin with them, lightly i might add but

13. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Same for me.
    But others that don't think so, why do they think so?
    Most of the people don't care if you're smoking. But they do extremely when you cut.

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cutting usually comes from self-hatred, whereas smoking doesn't have to come with any problem like that at all.

--

As someone who went through eating disorders for two years, which damaged my health (it took me over a year to get a normal situation of health and I have a weird appetite now), I can recognise a big similarity between that and a lot of alcohol drinkers. I started comparing the behaviours of alcoholics to my own, and I realised that they were simply in the same harmfully addicted emotion-washing trap as people with classified disorders. Alcohol is a far more disgusting and preventable as a habit, but it's socially acceptable to a point.

Same with some drugs compared to others. What makes alcohol better than cocaine or marijuana other than that people think it's better? It kills more people, arguably makes people behave worse, but it's such an ingrained flaw in our culture that we consider it acceptable and generally not a disorder. There are people who are addicted to alcohol who will fight to the death telling you they're not, and they constitute a very large number of drinkers.

15. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

This sounds really logical to me.

16. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

First of all, what is sth? I'm not familiar with that acronym. Secondly, I used to injure myself in various ways, and while you can't cure what I have, I feel much better with treatment. By it's definition a disorder causes distress. It's better to be without distress. Only downside is that my meds made me a type 1 diabetic, and permanently screwed up the rest of my endocrine system.

17. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

sth = something