1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Climate change: fact or myth?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Jun 22, 2014.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is your view on climate change? Do you agree that it's a result of mankind's disregard for the planet or do you think it's a natural phase in the 'climate cycle'? Or do you have a different take on it?

Fact or myth?

2. Hexagon

Wow. I can't believe you're actually asking this.

3. Yosia

I think its real and is due to us killing our planet. >.<

4. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

We are having an impact on the environment there is no doubt about that... to what degree is where the confusion lies.

5. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

I agree with Hexagon.

In my opinion, it's a bit like asking "Gravity: Fact or myth" due to the overwhelming evidence that suggests that climate change is a very true consequence of humanity's irresponsible actions.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure if any but a core population of conservatives argue that the climate isn't changing. The whole controversy is whether or not human activity is contributing.

I think it's gotten to the point where we are making a difference with our CO2 emissions. That in itself isn't so bad, because a high greenhouse effect was around earlier in the planet's history and it led to a huge growth of plant life. But coupling that with runaway deforestation, it will eventually turn into a crisis.

What's funny is that in the summer, everyone's like "ohh global warming" and then winter comes around and they say "gw is a load of crap!" as if the seasonal cycle would immediately cease to exist XD.

#6 Argentwing, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  7. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

I was always taught the only stupid question is one not asked. If this question leads to someone becoming educated on the matter all the better :wink:

8. Skov

The scientific consensus on climate change is pretty much unanimous. Anyone that denies it is being willfully ignorant.

9. starfish

My opinion.

Does the climate of the earth change due to natural reasons, yes.
    Are we making it worse, yes.

Not much we can do about the former, but quite a bit we can do about the later.

10. BelleFromHell

No, it's definitely fact.

11. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not?

Didn't state my opinion one way or another and I was careful not to load the question. Fact is, there are loud voices and strong views on both sides. I'm not out to stifle anyone's opinion, whether I agree with them or not.

It's no better or worse than many other contentious subjects on this forum.

12. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think it's real, but maybe not as big of a problem as we make it out to be. Yes, it was a global threat in the 90's because of chloroflorocarbons, but those are slowly going away as the o-zone regenerates. Chloroflorocarbons were banned, but they were responsible for the o-zone layer depleting. Now... let's just see how this goes.

13. Hexagon

It's ridiculous. There's no escaping the fact that there's a 97% consensus on this shit, and it's as insane as asking whether gravity exists or not, and TheStudent kindly pointed out. Just because some idiot decides to claim that climate change is a myth started by the commies does not mean that view is of equal validity to one backed up by science. If you wanted to start a topic of climate change, why not ask people what they think the best way to prevent further damage is?

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sort of a different problem. The use of CFCs destroying the ozone layer meant more UV light went through. The issue of global warming is caused by infrared light (aka heat from the sun) getting trapped by CO2 in the atmosphere. As that heats the planet, ice sheets (natural reflectors of IR light) are melted and permafrost thaws and rots, which releases more greenhouse gases.

It does make me worry. It's not an impossible problem, but the oil companies have so much sway I doubt we'll get off of fossil fuels until there are none left.

15. BelleFromHell

This statement sums up my view of climate change. *ducks head*

16. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fact. That would be a pretty weird myth... My dad thinks it's a myth though.

17. 741852963

I think its irrelevant if climate change is manmade or not, as we must act anyway.

You all too often hear people rally against attempts at positive environmental change (research into renewables, new car technology, recycling/waste reduction etc) purely because "climate change isn't real". My view is that it doesn't matter whether man-made climate change is real or not, because air pollution, water pollution, deforestation and dwindling resources (all very real issues) should be reason enough to act now.

Now my personal view on climate change - I think the earth naturally goes through cycles yes, but humans are probably contributing to this and exacerbating it. We as humans have the potential to live a lot more harmoniously with nature (for example, near zero percent household waste is perfectly achievable with modern materials and technology); the only barriers are cost and corporate greed.

18. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem is climate change challenges a world view deeply embedded in many people's lives. Many of these same people suffer from all or nothing thinking which is a psychologically disordered thought process. In their own minds, if they accept human-caused climate change, that means all other things they stand for are in question. They would rather reject a scientifically proven reality than give up the way they believe the world and society should function. In reality, it would just be a modification to their worldview. Not an outright rejection of everything they believe in.

#18 SimpleMan, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  19. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's an undeniable fact, and humans are making the impact even bigger.

20. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're entitled to your opinion, I'm not going to argue about it. I don't think it is an off limits subject. If people don't want to engage, they don't have to.