1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peaceful Protest

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Hexagon

Have you ever participated in a protest or rally or something of that kind?

I've done two:

Once an economic one in Spain. It was a march, and there were signs and songs and yelling.

The second was in favour of queer marriage outside the houses of parliament in england. That also involved singing. There was this preacher there wearing christian signs and yelling at us.

I plan on doing more in the future. There have been a few more I meant to go to, or would really have liked to, and I feel ashamed I haven't stood up for my values and for others more often.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Student rallies and one queer marriage rally (the second was pathetic and the group who organised it really should hand over their roles to more competent people).

There was a student rally a few weeks ago I was supposed to go to (in which students threatened the safety of a Federal minister and locked the Chancellor of the ANU inside his offices), but I found it annoying that they put it on a school day. I wasn't willing to sacrifice classes for a rally.

3. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been to 6 all of which were on campus. 5 of them were because people we refer to as crazy preacher dudes, and the 6 was when the Westboro Baptist Church threatened to come to my campus. It was the hugest pro-gay rights rights event of my life and it was truly awesome

4. Hexagon

I'm strongly considering signing up for greenpeace direct action, though, so I'll probably take part in a lot more.

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I refused to stand or remotely acknowledge the saying of the "Pledge of Allegiance" in my last year of high school. Although, before that, while I would stand I refused to put my hand to my heart or say any of the words. So not much more of a step.

I also refuse to put my hand to heart or remove any hat I'm wearing when they sing the national anthem at sporting events, but I will clap in acknowledgement of the artistic act.

Anyhow, do those count? Probably not? :lol:

#5 Browncoat, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think they do. It's important to remember that people shouldn't be forced into patriotic expressions. Not doing the typical "I love America" stuff is a right we have and exercising it can be a good thing. :slight_smile:

I can't remember going to any protests, unfortunately. Not that they don't need to be done. The most I can take credit for is not signing up for ACA lol.

#6 Argentwing, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I've never gone to rallies with the intent to protest, but I have gone to spectate. The biggest one, was when Westboro Baptist Church came to a close-enough military base. They were throwing a fit about soldiers and homosexuals.

While I didn't actually stand with any side, I did throw a piece of broken-off street at somebody in Westboro. I couldn't tell if it hit anyone or not, but that was the only significant highlight in my list of contributions.

Not the most mature thing, but it happened.

8. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

My grandma dragged me to a tea party rally when I was a kid. Twice. Both times, she told me we were going somewhere other than where we really were.
    I have, on my own, started several protests when I was in school about pertinent issues... And actually got some things changed. I was the hero for a week before getting stuffed in a trash can. It was great while it lasted.

9. Hexagon

How horrible.

You really shouldn't let something like that stop you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do picket lines and industrial disputes count? I guess that's a form of peaceful protest that I've taken part in.

11. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two years ago firstly we occupied the school and then we protested in front of the ministry. Everyone had different reasons to do that. The educational system sucks, schools were closing, universities were closing, teachers were fired, we had no books... It's actually very common for high-school students in Greece to occupy schools, it's almost a custom. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Also, I've been in anti-fascist marches, especially the previous summer, and in some protests against austerity.
    And, if it counts, to an lgbt pride parade. :slight_smile: