1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Radioactive Bi, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you ever had some one call you directly to your face a homophobic, biphobic, transphobic or any other prejudice name or insult? How did you react to it?

Also, what did they call you? (You don't have to answer this bit if you don't want to repeat what they said).

If it happened again, do you feel better equipped to deal with it? I'm just asking this to get some insight into how people actually deal with prejudice behaviour when it happens directly to them.

Thanks...

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, constantly, for about 10 years.

I became mute to it, due to necessity. If I had actually come out as gay/bi I highly doubt that I would have gotten out of the town I was in without killing myself.

If someone did it to me now I would roll my eyes and flip them off. That, or come up with a witty comment about how homophobia tends to indicate that the person often has a closet of their own, and they're overcompensating to hide it :wink:.

3. Cass

People often call me a hypocritical bigot, homophobe, and many other names because I believe in God. Having a religion dosent make me any of those things, it just makes me religious.

I typically correct them and if they continue I leave the conversation

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes my bisexual friend called me a homophobic because she assumed because I looked straight and was black that I would be a homophobe , she started by asking me what do I think about girls having sex with girls and about her sleeping with girls then she said I know your gonna judge me and probably a homophobe she had no idea that I was lesbian at the time and I was very upset that she prejudged me by the way I looked :tantrum:

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Someone called me a sexist on here for being pro-life, but I don't care.

I was called gay in high school and voted "most likely to be in a boy band". Translation: Most likely to be gay. It was their inside joke.

Haters gonna hate. Guide people to love, then let karma and God take care of the rest.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hate people like that and your not sexist for being prolife I disagree with pro life people but they are not sexist . Plus people are so stupid they can't tell the difference between a bisexual man and a gay man .

7. Hexagon

I misunderstood. Thought it was asking if I'd ever been called a fag, or similar insult.

I've never been called prejudiced before. If it did happen, I'd come out if it were sexuality or gender related. If it was something else, I'd defend myself in other ways.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ Apparently I misunderstood too... I don't recall having been called prejudiced before...with exception to when I was being sarcastic and they didn't catch on immediately.

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was the way I was called gay more than anything, like I was a less than. I hadn't truly figured out my sexuality until college. They knew nothing about me. It's why I am so passionate for kids getting bullied. I think it is my calling to help kids. I don't like when people are oppressed. I also don't like when people are shown disrespect for being different; that goes for anything.

If one shows people respect, is truthful, and works in the best effort to treat people fairly, then we will get along just fine. I have very liberal friends too. :slight_smile:

#9 QueerTransEnby, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  10. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry guys, I think I didn't punctuate properly. Yes, I mean things like homophobic slurs such as fag etc. I was asking how many have been called these prejudice slurs themselves and how you all reacted.

Apologies for the misunderstanding. I'm was a bit tired when I wrote it.

Happy days :slight_smile:

11. Hexagon

Lol, sorry. In that case:

Yeah. Depending on my mood, I smile and thank them, respond sarcastically, roll my eyes or attempt to debate them into being better people. It doesn't upset me anymore. I'm much stronger than I once was.

12. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

nah, probably a countdown on it tho lol

13. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been called a racial slur before. I didn't really feel anything.

I've also been called a homophobic insult (specifically directed towards lesbians). I ignored him, of course, but I felt upset. Not because of the gay part, but the gender part, and the fact that people are so damn close-minded and offensive where I live.

14. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been called:

- Lesbo

- Dyke

- Nigga/Nigger (Strangely enough, this came from a group of African-American girls. One of whom claimed that she would call anyone of any race a "nigga".)

- Oreo

15. Amorviri

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been very fortunate that most of my community is very accepting where I live. It's only a matter of time though before the wrong person finds out.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I can actually explain this.

The N-word (I'm not even going to type it out, because I know how explosive this is) that ends with a 'er', is the offensive one. The one a racist uses, with the intent to be hurtful. The N-word that ends with just an 'a', is the hijacked version of the word, that was used as a sort of endearing term. Basically, it's a defiantly sarcastic title. Growing up where I did, I've heard many an ethnicity say the 'a'-ending version, if they were brought up in a lower middle to lower income household. It was a means of saying, 'we're cool'.

I find both of them too touchy to pronounce fully, so I tend to avoid them. The closest I'll go is 'N-word', literally. This isn't to say it's okay to use the words, but it explains the difference -- as petty as it may be. It has a culturally historic tie to the word.

Thank you Afro-American History class. I knew, someday, you'd allow me to incorporate knowledge from you, LOL.

That said, I've been insulted before. But nothing extravagant, like a pile of sticks or a water-regulating wall. Just "bitch", in the context of weak or pathetic, but the word still counts I suppose. The closest would be "cracker", which is supposed to be the white person's version of the N-word.

How did I handle it? I kept my wits about me, really, and the situation was resolved. Some people just get pissed off at the littlest of things, so you just have to wait them out. They'll realize, eventually, how silly they're being. It probably helps that I come off as somewhat intimidating, too, lol.

I, personally, don't really care about words. The reason why the word is used is more damaging, I think. This doesn't mean I'm not sympathetic or alert of a word, and it's meanings, just that there is a degree of control here. I don't want someone to have control over me, if I can so much as help it. If the person saying it is a total idiot, I really couldn't give a rat's ass. But if they're someone who is passionately spewing such nonsense, then we are going to have a problem. I like to call out people who use insults, sometimes, to see if they can handle the response to their foolishness. They've backed down, so far.

Most of the time, behind insults and slurs, you find a weak-minded and toxic-souled wreck, that isn't even worth the dignity of a response.