1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about my cat.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anthemic, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I have a middle-aged cat (Russian Blue) named Grayson who is really laid back and sweet. I found him living under my porch for about a month with no food and slightly anorexic. I started feeding him and he's been living with me ever since. I've had him for almost 2 years now, and he's starting to do things that annoy me. One thing that he's been doing for a few months now, is begging. He doesn't beg for people food. He begs for his own food.

We have to keep his food out in the garage because we have a Chihuahua that likes to eat his food, and it makes her sick. I always make sure there's food in his bowl and that he gets a chance to eat. So I know it's not because he's hungry. He will meow constantly to go into the garage to eat. I will let him out to eat, and sometimes, within 5 minutes, he's meowing to come back inside. I really don't know how often during the day that he does this. But if I had to have an estimate, it's anywhere between 5-10 times a day. My mom said he's trying to have control over us, but I really don't know for sure if that's the case.

Another thing he does is meow and scratch at the bathroom door. I know it's because he wants to drink from the toilet. I Google'd why cats like to drink from the toilet and someone said it's because they think the toilet water tastes "fresher". I always make sure he has fresh water, so I don't understand the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hexagon

My cat's favourite source of water is glasses she finds on the table. I don't know, honestly. Cats do what they like, and it's rather rare that you can change that. Maybe he'll get bored of it soon. One thing you should realise is that many cats prefer to eat small amounts throughout the day, rather than eating it all in one go. Maybe your cat doesn't appreciate being restricted in this way.

3. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was actually wondering that. I figured he may just like to take a few bites here and there. I also think he might be a little bored, lol.

4. Thedistra

If you have a high up place you could have his food there in the house instead of out in the garage. So that he can always get to his food and your dog wouldn't be able to get to it. With a Chihuahua it wouldn't have to be very high up at all.

It may like the water out of the toilet better. Like I only liked the water out of the bathroom faucet at my old house. Different pipes different taste. You may trying getting its water from the bathroom sink but it would probably still drink from the toilet. Cats are stubborn creatures.

He may just be bored as well.

5. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will try that; water from the bathroom. And I'll try putting his food on something that's about 2-3 feet from the ground and see if that works. Thank you for the response! :slight_smile:

6. BiPenguin

I once had a cat that would only drink running water.

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have to agree with Hexagon, cats are just weird like this. That's what makes them awesome. :lol:

I imagine there is a way to "train" them, but it'd be a lot harder than training a dog. Seconded on the ideas of water from the bathroom and putting the food somewhere where the dog can't get it.

8. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Sounds like a normal cat to me.

9. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like a cat to me.

My mom had a cat like that and another who, if you sat down a glass of ice tea or something, would lick the condensation off the outside of the glass.

10. Hexagon

Nice to know my cat isn't the most insane.

It's happened twice today. She's particularly partial to glasses people are about to drink from.

11. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

my cat likes to drink from dirty sink water in dirty sink water bowls she finds in the dirty sink.

GOD FORBID THE FRESH WATER BOWL, HEAVENS NO.

If you can afford it, cats really love those fresh running fountain bowls, I've seen them at Petsmart for about ~$35 for the cheapest ones. This may take the focus off wanting in the bathroom all the time. I would also second keeping food up high away from the chihuahua, and if you are worried about him eating too much maybe also invest in one of the automated feeders. He may learn to meow at it instead of you as well :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I second the idea of the fountain water bowl. I have the Deluxe Drinkwell and both the cats and dog love it.

Putting the food out of reach of the dog is a good idea too... and also what I do in my house :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I have one cat who will eat when it's time to eat and never nibbles the dry throughout the day. The other one likes to eat small bits at a time all day long. Your cat sounds like the latter type.

Also, cats don't do things to "take control" or get revenge or anything else like that. Odd behavior in cats can be a sign of a serious health issue (like suddenly peeing on the furniture). Not saying your cat is exhibiting these signs. He sounds like he just wants fresher water and access to food when he's hungry. Just be sure that you are still monitoring the amount of food he has access to during the day. Free eating like that can can cause overeating, obviously. So measure it out and don't refill it until the next day.

If you think he's bored, you can get him a puzzle play box. My cats spend a lot of time with theirs.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

13. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

My cat also whines for her food. Our vet said it's more of a "I want it here in case I get hungry" thing. Digging at the bathroom door may be because of wanting to drink out of the toilet but if you're in their he may just want to be with you. My mom can't get ready for work, bed or school without our cat racing in behind her. If she doesn't let her in she whines and digs at the door. If you're worried about him drinking the toilet water you could try getting a water dispenser for cats from petco/petsmart. We have one with bottled water in it (we get gallons of water anyways) and our cats love that. Our one cat can't get enough, the first day she drank half of it before walking away.

14. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I appreciate everyone's response so much! I'm definitely going to try the fountain water and putting the food up higher. I'm more of a dog person, but I love my cat and I want what's best for him. <3
    Haha! You have a point! I used to not see what the big deal was with all the cat humor on the internet until I got a cat. Now I'm like "OMG! That's so true!" XD

15. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

My mom's cat always wants somebody to come and pet her while she eats, to the point that she will go and bug somebody until they attend to this desire whenever she feels hungry. She doesn't have much fear of dogs, either.

16. White Knight

Everyone gave good advices.

That "I want to be inside even I just stepped outside now" is regular and yeah very, very annoying things all my 3 cats do. It is especially bad when it is seasons change days so I start to close garden door. They very strong dislike for closed garden door.

There can be one reason for his outside trips tho'. Do you have any kind of grass for him to chew/eat in house? Mine usually wake me up from my sleep sometimes to get outside just to do it. Mom used to say they want "green" when they have tummy ache.

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The cat.

Does absolutely nothing, but gets absolutely everything.

Truly, the most intelligent of creatures.

18. Hexagon

I'm currently waiting for my little demon to fall asleep so I can flea her. She sleeps about 18 hours a day, and she picks now to stay awake?

19. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I seriously thought my cat was at the age where he just wants to lay around and be boring... Until I tried something... I put my hand under the couch cushion and kept popping it out and he went crazy, lmao. Put a hole in my thumb too. ;-;

20. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Don't be like brother,
    Be like sis,
    Close that lid,
    After you pi**"

Seriously; it's easy to shut down the oval kitty drinking fountain; they will find their water dish when they get thirsty.