1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on fictionkin?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nightdream, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. Foxface

Whether I believe it is not relevant. I am a furry...I believe I have the spirit of a duck. I could be 100% bat shit and out of my mind but hell it makes me feel good and I believe it so who the heck am I to judge otherkin and fictionkin?

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having a fantasy, as long as one recognizes it as that, is no problem, and is actually healthy to one's creativity. Feeling a connection to an animal, and feeling the energy of that animal is also not uncommon; many indigenous cultures recognize the spirits of animals as guides and wise sources of knowledge and healing.

On the other hand, people who honestly believe that they are not human... have a problem. Whether it's a minor problem or a major problem depends on the impact of what those beliefs mean. There's a woman who had dozens of plastic surgeries because she believes she's a cat and modified her body to look like one (complete with permanent synthetic cat whiskers.) At that point... I think it gets to a place of not being healthy.

4. alex3191

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree. I think its fine to be into that kind of stuff but when it starts to become an obsession and people start believing its real then it becomes a problem. I remember seeing a tv show where people had surgery to look like animals, there was a guy who thought he was a tiger and another who had his entire body tattooed and his tongue split to resemble a lizard.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't feel a special connection to any fictional being, but as long as that feeling doesn't give way to delusions, I don't see a problem with it.

6. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's okay if it isn't harming them or others. There's a guy that identifies as a maxi pad! I'm not gonna lie. I laughed for at least 20 minutes when I found out that he's serious. Although I try to respect people with strange beliefs. Hell, my spiritual beliefs can depend on the day of the week. I'm a chaote. I know better than most people that belief is a powerful tool. It must be handled with great care, and some people don't realise what they're doing. That's when they require psychological help.

7. Hexagon

Whatever, really. I have no problem with what others do.

8. Fandom obsessed

I am an elf. End of story. JK I love otherkins and elves are my favorite. I was born with pointy ears and everything. I'm just one weird specimen. I don't identify as an elf but I do roleplay as one a lot.

9. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I have psychosis, and it's hard not to take it as an insult when other people want to turn their psychosis in to an identity. It's not, it's a sickness.

10. BelleFromHell

I don't really know. I have absolutely no problem with cosplaying or roleplaying, but this is... wow...

I agree.

11. Acm

Acm Guest

As long as it's just a fantasy/fun thing I don't really see a problem with it, there's not necessarily anything wrong with feeling connected to a character...
    People who treat it as an identity or something that they actually are on the other hand bother me.

12. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is it really hurting anyone if they identify as non-human?

I personally believe that everyone is human and that you can't really be otherkin/fictionkin, but how hurtful would it be if someone said "You can't be trans, because trans people don't exist"?

So, because I'm not otherkin/fictionkin, I can't say for certain that they don't exist. Because maybe they do. Maybe they don't. But to deny the possibility entirely, I think, is insulting to the people who do identify as otherkin/fictionkin.

My two cents.

EDIT: Also, they're making the same debate about the transgender community. If it's a sickness or not, I mean.

13. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

im godzilla

idk how i hold my job but i do, ama

14. BelleFromHell

It's possible for a male-bodied person to have a female brain, and vice-versa. This "animal trapped in a human body" stuff doesn't even remotely compare to being transgendered.

If people want to be crazy, I'll let them be crazy. Just don't expect me to take them seriously.

15. ProtegeMoi

Never heard of it. Not my boat.

16. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I'm going to second that. I don't mean to offend anybody, but if you really had the mind of an animal, you would probably be eating your own crap and peeing wherever you want. And you can't really be a vampire, because vampires don't exist, and if they did they would all probably have HIV from drinking the bodily fluids of so many strangers. When I had delusional beliefs, people did the right thing and told me I was mentally ill so I could go get help. I feel sorry for them if their family isn't doing the same.

17. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean, either way, I wouldn't really call anyone crazy. It might be taken offensively.

Humans are classified as animals and most of us don't eat our own crap and we don't pee wherever we want. Also, pets don't really pee wherever they want either, and like us, they had to be trained. And, uh, never really actually heard of a non-human animal (for this discussion, just animal) eating its own crap.

EDIT: I take the peeing thing back. We do pee wherever we want.

#17 Nychthemeron, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  18. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I meant a different animal. Also dogs eat their own crap or roll around in it. Not all of them of course, but some do.

19. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

also ppl always identify as ~cool~ animals like wolves and foxes and cats, where the slugkin at???

20. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i mean, coprophilia

but coprophiles can be civilized