1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homework Help -_-

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Andrew

Even though this has NOTHING to do with this subject.. I need help with my homework LOL.

Well I have to write this paragraph on how technology is harsh?

I have no clue what to write.. Does anyone have any good ideas o_o.

Thanks!

2. Mind Freak

Harsh on the environment; like factories and such.

3. Andrew

i dont know.. :l I missed friday. >_> But, it was due on friday. I didn't get what he was asking >_>

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Give us a bit more to go on.

5. Andrew

Uhm. well this is the exact thing.

"The Cold Equations" was written in 1954, at a time when technology was far less advanced than it is now. Today we living in what, to Tom Godwin in 1954, was teh future (though not as far in the future as the story is set). Do you think the technological future is turning out to be as cold and harsh as Godwin expected?

6. Lava421

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Here's some help.

Also, there's a foreign (Japanese?) movie in which music accompanies various scenes, beginning in the uninhabited wilderness and ending in a big, crowded, industrialized city. If I recall correctly, it's over an hour long, and that's all there is to the movie. Just from my description, I think you can figure out the movie's point.

7. MeskElil

Well, brainstorm about the various things that technology affects negatively--it also could be an emotional or social impact on people (like how a lot more people are less socially enclined now, as if we all live in boxes). I take it you have read this book. What are the author's main ideas? What did he actually think would happen in the future? Did it turn out that way? Is it worse? Ask yourself questions about it, including what is truly bad about technology. Just think about it for a while, ask questions, and write an outline.

No, seriously. Write an outline. They're God's gift to writers. Depending on how long the essay is supposed to be, make a list of main points you want to cover, like 1) What did the author actually think, 2) What's going on today 3) Was he actually right?

Hope that helps.

8. Bookmarked

The phrase "Do you think" when set in essay format rarely means that the answer is a simple "Yes, here's why" or "No, here's why not...". Normally it's a little bit of both.

Start by defining what you think is meant by the term "cold and harsh", because that'll get it clear in your mind what you're actually writing about.

Since the essay is based on "The Cold Equation" try and search for parallels in real life. I'm a bit sketchy on the plot (it's been awhile) but it's all about a space-pilot having to jettison a girl stowaway because the maths says that her added weight will doom them all, right? The obvious message here is how technology can override morality, or rule people's lives and death. Is there any sort of area in modern life you can think of that happening? (albeit to a lesser extent) For example, economics. The market is run by an awful lot of things, but mathematics and equations play quite a large part in it. An unknown variable enters an equation, it calculates things through-and suddenly, half a million people lose their jobs, because it is the most economically viable solution. Surely that's an example of "cold equations" at their best?

Write about and equal number of paragraphs that support the argument and oppose it. It'll probably help if you plan out the flow of your ideas so that it comes logically. Then when you're done, write one paragraph where you finally conclude with what you actually think, based on what you've written.

9. BrutalScar

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    cbf reading them posts
    but by judging the first post

my friend always tells me how scared she is that the future will rely on technology
    and no one will have to leave their house because they can do everything in the comfort of their home

:S