1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the point of coming out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, Jun 24, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I know that it's important to come out when you're in a relationship, but couldn't you just tell people you're in a same sex relationship?

2. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

If you tell people you're in a same sex relationship, it generally makes them think you're gay.

3. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out can often be a liberating experience that frees you to be able to express yourself truly and honestly in your life.

It can also help you feel more whole, being truly at peace with who you are as well as not having to hide part of yourself from others.

Happy days :slight_smile:

4. SunSparks

You can. You can come out in a lot of ways; you can state your sexuality, your gender, your relationship status, etc. In addition, coming out, though usually associated with sexuality and gender, can also be a process for other things. Like you can come out as a feminist.

5. DangerAlex

Unless you want to live a double life, coming out usually serves the purpose of allowing you to be who you really are since you're no longer hiding or repressing it.

But it doesn't always have to be a big ordeal. My "coming out" was kind of incidental. My boyfriend met me at my mom's house, and she saw us kissing out the window. I did have to specify I believe myself bisexual now rather than totally gay, but otherwise it wasn't a big thing.

Then my boyfriend and I linked our Facebook profiles in a relationship, and I uploaded a picture of us. And done!

Mostly I just wanted to put it out there so nobody thought I was trying to hide my boyfriend or that I was ashamed of being with him, and I didn't feel I had the patience for people to be always asking me about it. Aside from a lot of shock that I'd gotten over my ex and moved on with a GUY, the responses were all very accepting and encouraging. Although I don't really care if I have anyone's blessing or not..

6. Hexagon

Because we shouldn't have to hide the fact that we're different.

7. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

It doesn't work.

Straight transmen, despite it's clear that they're men who likes women, has to stand the situation in which the people are reluctant to understand it. "They're masculine lesbians", they think.

What the hell :dry:

The same, if you says "I'm in a gay relationship", people will think you're lesbian. And you cannot do anything.

You have to do two things:

-to come out,

-not to come out.

Inside or outside the closet. Choose.

8. lmk124

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's not really something I'm willing to do.

I'll never be fully happy hiding my bisexuality, especially if I was ever with a guy, but I'll never be fully happy being out either because of certain things I would lose. As of now, I think I can be most happy living in secret, having a bit of both sides. Still not fully happy, but I don't want the world to know, I like having a part of me that only I know about.