1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you were on a dinner date......?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Radioactive Bi, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you were on a dinner date with someone and they offered to pay for your meal, would you let them or would you feel obliged to pay your half?

Would you see at sweet for them to offer, showing genuine interest, or do you take it as somewhat condesending, like they think you need to be paid for?

Is being a first date or a date after you've been out a few times, a factor in this?

Also (this may be more for bi people, but not necessarily) does the gender of your date influence this? For example would you let a guy pay but would be more reluctant with a girl? (Be honest, I'm not here to judge you, I'm just curious).

Finally, if you offered to pay and they insisted on paying half, how would you feel?

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. BethLauren

A first date I'd probably pay half, regardless of gender, although if they offered I'd find it sweet, just because on a first date we wouldn't be certain we were into each other, so it seems fair that we both pay.
    After a few dates, when we've established we're interested, I'd be happy to let them treat me, and I'd want them to let me treat them, too.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I've always heard, and follow, the idea of whoever asks and sets up the date, is the one who also pays for it.

If you continue seeing one another, then you discuss it. If your partner wants to pay, let them. I can understand why someone would want to cover their expenses. In fact, if I asked somebody to dinner, and they were willing to pay, I might ask them to marry me on the spot. LOL!

There's something about someone being able to handle themselves, that speaks to me. It's even better when they want to go 50/50, because it tells me, in a way, that we're a team -- and that's one thing I'd like to be, with somebody.

4. Yosia

If they want to pay for me i would let them. I would be very grateful of it too. ^.^

5. tulipinacup

I follow this one too. If it's a date that we both agreed on, then I split the money. If he insists on paying all of it then I have no choice lol

6. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think if it's a guy, it depends on who asked out whom. If I asked him out, I pay. If he offered to pay for my meal, I'd tell him that the date was on me, so I'd pay for everything. Even if he then insisted on paying his own half, I'd tell him no.

If he was the one that asked me out, it would be different. I'd still feel more comfortable at the very least paying for my own meal, but if he insisted, I'd let him pay.

I think it's sweet of people to offer, but honestly I feel more comfortable paying myself (preferably for the both of us). Both paying for your own meal just feels cheap, and having someone pay for me just feels.. wrong, most of the time.

After the first date, it just depends. Maybe he could pay half the time, me the other half. (For both of us)

As for girls: I would never, ever let a girl pay for me or herself on our first date. I'm the guy, I'm supposed to pay, no matter who asked out whom. And this actually goes for the next couple of dates as well. I just don't like girls paying for me.
    After we've gotten serious, though, obviously it's okay if she pays every now and then.

7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In general when someone offers to pay for almost anything I insist on paying my own way--once (if it's a date I insist, once, on paying for both of us). If someone insists past that I let them. When I make the initial offer to pay and someone out and out refuses--as in repeatedly enough that I give up--I find it irritating. Sometimes I like to do things for people--on the other hand I assume that other people also like to do things for me and so I let them. On a side note if I thought we were on a date and I offered to pay and someone insisted on going Dutch, neither letting me pay nor paying the whole thing themselves, I would probably wonder if it had in fact been a date.

8. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I've been on a 'date' with a guy and he insisted he pay. I came with my own money to a nice restaurant thinking it was old friends from school getting together. I hated the way he handled it. If I want to pay for my meal, let me.
    I'd be the person to want to pay for a girl's meal, though, because I usually initiate things.
    *shrug*

9. DangerAlex

My boyfriend always pays for EVERYTHING. It kind of bothered me at first, mostly because I'd always been the one who paid and I liked that, but I'm compromising.

10. awesomeness

When I go on a date, I always go there with the intention of paying for my own half.

BUT, if he insists then I'm not gonna say no. I also enjoy it, because it's an indication that he's actually interested, which is always a good thing.

11. Acm

Acm Guest

I would at least try to pay my own half, but if they insisted I might let them pay for me. It depends on who initiated the date though.

12. kyrtap

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I like to pay ever time I go out, to me it's not about power or anything I just do it, I don't feel like the other person owes me anything or that I am somewhat better because I paid, all that doesn't matter. We just have a good time and that is all that matters. The gender or the first date doesn't matter.

13. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm also thinking 50/50 makes sense on a first date (theoretically speaking anyway lol) - however if there's obvious mutual interest I think it can be sweet to let the other pay, and graciously accept with a "thanks, and next time's on me".

14. ChibiXio

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes. I would feel that need to pull my weight and pay for my share. But then again I'm that kid that if you give me a gift (even a small one dollar chocolate) I will pay it back in some way because I feel like I owe that person.

15. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    I'd always try to pay some of the bill, unless the person I was with was insistent.

16. Maeve

I'd let them and then pay next time.

17. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

If someone offers to pay for my meal, I'll let them. But I would like to be able to get them things too, I wouldn't feel comfortable if my relationship was just me taking from them all the time.

18. kem

kem

I'd rather pay half and half, or that we both paid our own dishes, but if someone insists on treating me then I won't argue.

19. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would depend on a lot of things, mainly who's income is at what level and how much the bill is.

20. timo

The only dinner dates I went on were both spontaneous dinners, no one asked no one planned anything in advance, and we both paid our own share.

But if it was set up to be a dinner date, I think I'd steer towards each-paying-their-own as well. Especially when it's a first date.