1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoking or Non-Smoking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by adrianislander, Jun 24, 2014.

1. adrianislander

now i myself am smoker and i don't really care if my significant other is. just wanted to know what you all think about this situation.

2. Yosia

I dont smoke and never will but i would be okay if my partner did ONLY IF they didnt smoke around me and they dont smell of smoke. ^.^

3. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    all smokers smell like smoke. i smoked for 24 years and i stunk even if i didn't smell it myself. not speaking for anyone else but i did stink.

and no i don't think i could date a smoker because i quit because i was starting to get obstructive pulminary disease. i have most of my lung function back now but it took 10 years.

4. Yosia

Not all, my friend smokes but she doesnt really.

5. GeekMonkey

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I smoke, so obvs. I'd date another smoker, but I'd also date a non-smoker if they were okay with my smoking.
    I don't smoke inside the house, and I obviously wouldn't smoke around them if they asked me not to.

6. adrianislander

thanks! i'm basically the same with all of you, common courtesy you know? when i'm around people i always inform them if i'm about to smoke just to be sure that no one is uncomfortable because of my habit.

7. TheStormInside

I'm a nonsmoker and I doubt I could date a smoker. I have a lot of health issues and sinus problems, and when I lived for a year in a "smoking" apartment complex I was sick and miserable the whole time. So it's not a moral thing or even a repulsion (though I do find it unpleasant besides), it's literally for my health.

8. Mercedes Benz

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am not a smoker and never will be, but I would have to say that it would make a difference to me if my partner were to smoke. Smoking is not healthy and I am very health conscious. I would not want my significant other to develop health issues for their sake because of a bad habit. I would care too much for them and I think that would bother me.

9. adrianislander

okay cool! i like your answers and totally respect them. ironically i also try to be healthy as possible and it was only due to certain and unfortunate circumstances that i turned to smoking. eventually, once i got out of my depression, smoking was just the one thing that came back with me! ugh i know one day i will quit but i don't see it happening any time soon!

10. Acm

Acm Guest

I don't smoke. I sort of wish I could, but I have asthma already so I think smoking would be especially bad for me. I would date a smoker as long as they weren't gross about it

11. PrettyConfused

I would never smoke...i really despise the smell not to mention the associated health risks. I could accept friends who smoke as long as they are discrete but I really don't think I could date a smoker.

12. BelleFromHell

Don't smoke, never will, and I'll never date someone who does. Pollution of lungs isn't sexy.

13. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I don't smoke and could not be with a smoker. I've seen what it does to someone's health. I couldn't deal with someone putting themselves through that.

14. DangerAlex

I smoke like 60% of the time I'd say. I can go a month smoking and then not smoke even once for weeks. It's a remnant of a misspent youth. My boyfriend doesn't and has never smoked, so I don't smoke around him as a courtesy although he says he doesn't mind. In the year we've been together he's seen me smoke twice. At my heaviest, I might smoke a few packs in a week, but I buy locally grown tobacco and roll my own. They taste good actually and the smell doesn't "stick" like commercial cigarettes do.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nonsmoker. I think smoking is nasty and if I found myself interested in someone who smokes, I'd either do everything in my power to help them quit, or keep a reasonable distance from them. I couldn't kiss a face full of ashy smell every day X.X

16. Colours

I'm a smoker, and I'm dating a guy who isn't. He doesn't approve of course but he says I should do what I want. The first time I smoked around him though (I don't when I'm alone with him, don't really feel the need to but we were with friends who smoked), he did say he had to get used to it.

I always make sure I don't smell of smoke before I see him. Shower, brush teeth, etc. Seems to work fine. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Non-smoker. Never wanted to put shredded leaves in my mouth and set them on fire. Nasty habit, bad for your health and the people around you, addictive and expensive, makes your mouth stink, makes your house stink, can cause lung cancer or emphysema. No positives I can see, all negatives. As for kissing a smoker, ICK!

18. Hexagon

I don't smoke, but I'm not terribly fussed.

19. I don't smoke and I plan on keeping it that way. I wouldn't date a smoker either because I would hate to see the person I love do something harmful to themselves. My current girlfriend has picked up a cigarette once or twice, but hasn't done so since and I don't mind that.

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never smoked. I can smell smoke on someone who does even if it's hours since their last smoke. Most nonsmokers, if they walk into a smoker's room, find that it reeks even if the smoker has never actually smoked in there.

I personally would not go out with someone who smokes, and I have almost no friends who smoke because, honestly, the stench is really bothersome, and it's also annoying to have to stop whatever is going on every 30 minutes or 2 hours or whatever so they can go get their "fix."

This is one of those things, like any other addiction, that it absolutely eludes me why anyone would start in the first place, since the addiction rate, according to a study in Nature (british medical journal) is close to 95%.