1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That's so gay!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GeekMonkey, Jun 24, 2014.

1. GeekMonkey

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does anyone else actually use the above sentence themselves?
    Or use other homophobic slurs?

Like I know it's bad, but it's subconscious really, I say it before I even notice what I just said.

Like in my native language the word for faggot is Schwuchtel and if a dude pisses me off I might very well call him that when I'm angry.

Obvs I don't intent to insult gay people, but well... the person in question.

Like most words one simply picks'em up from others around oneself and starts using them subconsciously.

So do you ever do that? Do you think it's a problem? Do you consciously try to avoid saying things like that?

2. Yosia

I dont really insult people, if someone annoys me i stop talking to them. I dont think iv ever said 'thats so gay' and i may have used faggot a few times but i tend to use words like stupid and idiot if i ever do insults.

3. xxemilyxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i wouldnt say or use that as an insult although it is thrown around alot, so many do but at the same time it doesnt bother me when other people say it either.

4. gman025726

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I use the word faggot alot.....

5. AAASAS

I've noticed it has disappeared, it could be because I work with people that are mainly 30+ so it was never really in their vocabulary.

I stopped using it years and years ago.

If there is someone or something I don't like, I just call it lame basically. It's the same thing.

There really isn't a word though that can replace the general meaning of gay. I almost think gay people should stop calling themselves that, and maybe just let it become it's meaning.

Gay isn't exactly lame, it is lame, but it has like a weird nuance to it. Almost like something is lame but in the same sense as a family that sings Kumbaya by a campfire while the Dad plays the guitar and everyone is clapping their hands to the beat.

It's best described by the Flanders family on the Simpsons.

Lame doesn't really create the nuance of that, or stupid, or dumb, gay encompasses all the awkwardness and almost socially unacceptable(in a get with the times way) that lame and other words do not.

Fag on the other hand doesn't create the same nuance as gay does. It creates something different. Though similar, a fag is basically someone that is embarrassing to be around. Someone seen as a social pariah almost.

Gay people used to be embarrassing to be around and were called fags, now it's basically used for anyone that creates the same feelings that gay people used to give people.

It's a feeling of generally not wanting to be around someone because their company sucks.

Both words can't be replaced by one English word, which is why I think they're here to stay and will eventually shake off any connection with homosexuals.

Words like Dyke, and Queer, I think may always just stick to being used to describe a lesbian or gay person because they don't really have any alternative use or meaning currently besides that.

6. kyrtap

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I might have used it once or twice when I was younger but I don't use it now. I find both that statement and the word faggot very offensive no matter who uses it. I don't let it get to me but I don't think anyone should be using them.

7. BethLauren

I used it when I was younger, but I definitely don't use it now. I don't find it personally offensive, really, I just brush it off, but I'm very aware that when it's used its basically equating being gay with something bad or stupid. Hence why I don't use it and try to discourage others from using it, also.

8. BelleFromHell

The last time I used a gay slur as an insult was when I didn't know what it meant, which was god knows how long ago (5 years, maybe?).

I thought this video may be relavent to the subject.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRkIWB3HIEs&feature=kp[/YOUTUBE]

9. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't use the word fag as it's used in my red neck area as a put down of the n'th degree. It's confusing to me when gay people call each other and themselves fags. I'm guessing they use it to take the power of the word?? As for "that's so gay" referring to inanimate objects or situations is just a dressed up way of saying something is deficient or not acceptable. It's funny how words change... when I was young a fag referred to a cigarette and gay just meant you were having a great time.

10. Hexagon

No, I've never used 'gay' in that way.

11. tscott

I've used "faggot" before, but never wit any real malice. I pesonally prefer insults with more...vitriol. For example: wolf-bitches welp, son and heir of a mongrel bitch, mishappen dick, and my personal favorite - douchecock. We've a rich language. Use it.

12. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bwhahahahahaha:roflmao:

13. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't normally get angry, so I never really curse or anything like that, and I never use those words as insults. That would just be completely weird and out of character for me. My dad says them sometimes though. >.<

14. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally think it's OK if you're gay yourself. Otherwise, I don't think so.

But, it's a bit rude to and pretty offensive towards the gay community in general, as it implies that being gay is a bad thing.

Just my two cents.

15. Raikamaru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I like using "Bitch Born Whore", "Doglord's Bitch", "Shitbiscuit", "Cuntlord", "Asspaddle", "Twatbasket" and "Fuckhead" if we're talking about insults.

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to think my vocabulary has improved enough that I can call something what it is rather than "gay" and hope the negative connotation does the job. Unless something actually is gay, but there's little need to call it out if that's the case XD.

17. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    I would post a NOPE NOPE NOPE gif, but gifs don't seem to work.

18. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let's face it. There's not enough insults that aren't offensive towards innocent passersby, or perhaps everyone's just placing too much weight on it. The point of an insult is to insult, but I'm not so sure what to think if the insult insults someone other than the person or people you are or were trying to insult.

If I'm making any sense.

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Totally gay, bro.

It's strange, because while I don't have as much of a problem with that word, faggot is something I can't use at all. In fact, my brother was over the other day, and used it as an insult while talking on the phone, and I internally cringed. Didn't help that he said it with disgust... A year or two ago, I wouldn't have even cared much.

20. transnerd

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Language is a funny thing. Like a lot of people, we tend to take stuff that's meant as an insult and adopt it as something positive. Personally though, I do cringe when I hear "fag", "queer" and "gay" used as an insult--much the same as I cringe when I hear racial slurs used negatively. I was raised religious, so naturally I heard negative gay slurs all the time, but it's because I was raised religious that I personally never ever used words like that. I guess you can take that how you will.

Seems like using "gay" instead of dumb or stupid (or something more creative) is a bit lazy though. But that's what most modern language is these days... a bit lazy. :slight_smile: