1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Straight Edges here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlexL, Jun 24, 2014.

1. AlexL

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Straigh Edges are people that refrain from using alcohol, drugs and tobacco (they are usually related to the hardcore punk community).

So, anyone that thinks like me and decided not to use any of these things for the rest or our lives? I'm just curious.

Usually people say that drinking alcohol is life but after everything I've seen happening because of it I changed my mind.

2. DangerAlex

I've become more straight edge in recent years, but that's probably a generous proclamation, relatively speaking. But compared to where I was five years ago, I've calmed down and become significantly more tame. And I'm pretty proud of that. Used to have many unhealthy and harmful vices as a result of being misdirected in my youth by people who should've known better and set a better example, although I still take full responsibility for my actions.

#2 DangerAlex, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  3. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I've tried alcohol, I hate the taste of it. I don't smoke anything either.

4. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I guess so, yeah. I'll never do any of those things~ mainly beause I have an addictive personality. When I start something...well... It doesn't exactly stop easily. I've tried alcohol. Ended up sneaking it at a pretty young age. Never doing it again. I just can't. Not going to do any tobacco for the same reason. The only drugs I have are prescribed painkillers for fibromyalgia.

5. DangerAlex

I've had about every vice that's out there. Substances, self-harm, other individuals, etc. It's so unhealthy. And it took me so long to even realize I was doing it, let alone work to release such vices. Sometimes I can still see an echo of those behaviors, like sometimes with my boyfriend I can be a little clingy and I hate that even though my boyfriend finds it endearing, so he says. Nowadays my only vice is smoking cigarettes some of the time, and smoking marijuana maybe a few times a year if that. So I guess you could say I'm reformed and new to being a good boy, but better late to the party than never :slight_smile:

Interesting thread topic.

6. Hexagon

No, but I do a very good imitation of one. Despite having no such intention, I've barely drunk anything since september. And I don't smoke or take other drugs, so yeah. And I'm evidently punkish.

7. Yosia

Drugs and tobacco yes.

8. BethLauren

I'll never touch drugs or tobacco, I've seen the effects of them way too many times. But I drink when I'm out with my friends.

9. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I guess. It's not really a conscious decision I made or anything. I've just never been interested in trying any of those things. I mean, I've tried alcohol but I don't like it...

10. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Yes, but I'm not really a punk.

11. AlamoCity

I don't smoke or do drugs, and rarely drink alcohol, but I'm not part of any punk movement or even like that genre of music or associate with their community.

12. Jethro702

Yeah, This is me except I made that one tiny change. :grin:

13. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, my avatar isn't the label of a particularly tasty whiskey brand at all...

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me. Call it puritanism, but it's better for my health and self respect not to touch that filth.

I'm not remotely punkish, either.

15. Zeevie

I'm admittedly less punkish than I was a few years ago, but yeah, I don't smoke, do drugs and only drink once in a blue moon. Like haven't had a drop in over six months. Can't say I miss it that much. I've always preferred the hyper feeling of a sugar high from soda anyway. I'm like a pre-teen that way :lol:

16. SunSparks

Yep yep! Simply not my thing. I dont really have any urge to start either.

17. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never used that term but what it entails is true for me.

1. I wouldn't touch drugs with a 10ft barge poll (not including my medication of course)

2. Tobacco/smoking exacerbates my asthma severely

3. Alcohol would kill me

So I guess the answer is yes

Happy days :slight_smile:

18. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't say I never touch alcohol, but it's very rare. Some months have passed since I last had a drink.

Smoking/taking drugs - never.

19. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I don't get the appeal of poisoning yourself.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I have no quarrel with "Straight Edge" as a whole, but there are some individuals I've come across, who like to really push their standards on others. I remember one time in particular, I was smoking a cigarette at the corner of a local show, quite far away, and this little group of Straight Edgers started telling me to put it out, that they couldn't breathe. Keep in mind, I have to be about 30 or 40 feet away.

The leader (or so I'm going to call him) started to walk over to me. I was leaning against the wall, so I was smaller-looking from a distance. When Mr. Leader got about 10 feet from me, I stood up straight and, suddenly, he stopped moving forward. I guess he was able to see me better. He did tell me to put the cigarette out, or he'd come stomp my ass, and that he was only trying to help me.

I told him, he should reconsider those skinny jeans, and get a size or two bigger pants, because his testicles were being abused; and that I was only trying to help him.

LOL... oh man, I can be such a bitch sometimes...

This probably isn't a big deal to anyone, but the most famous Straight Edger that I know of, is CM Punk. He kind of brought it to the mainstream.