1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dating Question at Family Gatherings

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Noir, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Noir

If you're like me, you probably have that one naggy, gossipy relative at family gatherings that's been asking for you don't remember since when: "So....do you have a (opposite gender) boyfriend/girlfriend yet? :icon_wink"

:eusa_doh:

Mine happens to be a great uncle from the "old country." :rolle: He's very nice and I like him, but this question is making me exceedingly uncomfortable as I get older since I've officially realized that I'm a lesbian.

So, my question to all you EC'ers is: how do YOU deal with these situations? :confused: Charm? Wit? Sarcasm? Evasion? White lies?......The truth? lol I'm sure other EC'ers, myself included, would be interested to hear how you approach this age-old questions to the queers! Please share your stories!

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i would probably not say anything but, would eventually tell the truth

3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always just went with the truth--now my extended family knows my partner, so doesn't come up any more.

4. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just tell them I haven't found the right person yet

5. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I tell them the truth, that I am sad and alone, and oh poor pitiful me. Then I ask them for a hug. Then they learn not to ask again.

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Luckily I'm so eccentric that everyone assumes it's best not to ask! :grin:

Honestly, even if they did, I'd probably just shrug. It's none of their business.

7. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thats very sad :icon_sad:

8. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My family friend does it. She assumes she's saying the opposite gender, but not really... :wink:

Like Wuggums, though, I tell them the truth as well - that, yes, I'm single, and no, you can't force me to get a boyfriend. That's none of their diddly darned beeswax.

9. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate that question. Hated it before I met my girlfriend, hate it even more now. Sarcasm is always a temptation. When I get asked "Do you have a boyfriend?" I tend to answer with a smile and the truth: "No."

In my family, that tends to end the topic there and they ask other questions about what I'm up to.

10. xxemilyxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lol however much i would like to answer with some kinda coolness i just nervous giggle or smile with absolutely no words at all :grin: after years of the same nervous blank response i think most of them have given up asking lol

11. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, it's none of their business, haha, families outside of family that is (if that makes sense....) if they did ask, i would say i'm taking my time.

12. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

After so many 'beating boys off with a stick' jokes, I just ask them about their love lives. When they don't want to respond, I shoot them a look. I don't get asked anymore.

13. Silas

OMG I haaaate when those random nosy relatives start asking those questions! :eusa_doh: It's super awkward, I'm not out to them so I usually just respond with a celeb name... I'll be like oh Jessica Alba is my girlfriend, and they'll laugh and I take the opportunity to immediately change the subject :lol:

14. Jethro702

I usually don't say anything back to them.

15. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't want one!

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was asked this on my birthday actually by my aunt , I was trying to tell her I didn't have a boyfriend and she got so excited and said Oh your boyfriend took you out for your birthday that's so nice you got a boyfriend I'm so happy for you . I just ignored it and thought let her believe what she wants to most people believe I'm straight if they want to believe that let them eventually they will no the truth and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to handle it .

17. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i have a tiny-ass family, like 8 members whole including both grandparents, and i think they all know because none of them ask, then again we literally never talk about love lives or anything ever i don't know why but it's taboo to suggest anything like that, it's actually really nice apart from being really goofy and weird and clueless about DATING RITUALS and not knowing how to LOVE...

---------- Post added 24th Jun 2014 at 07:40 PM ----------

like my mom or dad never had the sex talk with me, nor signed off for me to get it at school, so if it wasn't for my friend in sixth grade asking me "you know how during sex the guy sticks his penis in the girl, what happens if it got stuck and he needed to pee?" i would not know what sex was for a long, long time and if it wasn't for being gay i could possibly have a god damn four or five or even six year old right now lmao

#17 asdfghjk, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
  18. Yosia

I dont want one! I dont like people so why would i kiss one? This usualky makes them quiet.

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The rare chance this comes up, I usually just say the same thing I've said before:

" No. Still single. "

Most of the time they smile a nervous smile, and that is that. However, even more rarely, a follow up question is asked. It is the 'Why?' question.

My response, is usually, the same thing I've said before:

" Well, you see, I just haven't decided who should be the unlucky sap. "

This gets them to laugh, or to quit asking. Either way, if they listened to how I speak, they'd notice I rarely refer to a particular gender. It isn't too hard to figure out.

The only individual who seems remotely disappointed by this routine, is my father, but he, like most fathers, wanted a son who was an athlete, really popular, and who was a Mini-Me in a lot of ways. He wanted to bond over the 'zany relationship antics' I'd have with girls, and the grade-practice ratio between school and sports. The fact I never brought home someone, over a period of time, seemed to disappoint and deflate him.

I think he still hopes, sooner than later, I'll finally bring someone over to him and say, "Hi, dad. This is ___, my girlfriend. I'm finally the son you've been waiting for."

20. Hatsune Miku

I just say that my parents don't allow me to date, which is true