1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to the same sex

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Steele, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So...when you come out as gay/bi/lesbian to someone of the same sex, do you get worried that you'll make that person uncomfortable? Like they'll be worried that you'll find them attractive or flirt with them?

I know it's a stupid, irrational fear that only a few straight people have, but I can't help but feel worried and uncomfortable around guys I come out to. I mean hell, I'm only out to one male and he's my psychiatrist, I've been out to him for almost a year, and I still feel worried that I'm making him uncomfortable every time I see him, so I can only imagine what it will feel like when I start coming out to other guys...

So, yeah...does anyone else feel that way?

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yea, some guys at my school act like that, but i go to kinda like a private school, so yea

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely worry about that. But how much I worry definitely depends on how much I care about what they think of me. I got really worried that it would make some of my close friends uncomfortable. But for people who I don't really care what they think of me, I feel like I don't really care, and if they feel uncomfortable they just need to get over themselves :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Yes, very very much so. It's why the only friends I can come out to are ones I've been friends with for years and years, so they know for sure I don't even think of them that way.

5. mangotree

If it makes you feel better, you could always make friends with people who you're legitimately not attracted to - then it should be a non-issue.

Ultimately, the only way you can control what they think and feel about you is by telling them or not telling them that you're gay. If you tell them, their reactions will be just that ... reactions... and you can't control those. No one can (without a lot of practice at least).

#5 mangotree, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  6. xxemilyxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not that ive come out to many people, but i do worry if i did, that every girl would think im attracted to them and act different towards me because of it.

7. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I get worried. I've told a couple of my guy friends and both times I worried profusely that they'd just say "You don't have a crush on me, do you?" but luckily they didn't. That's okay, as attractive as they both are it'd still be awkward for me if I started dating one of them.

8. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ugh, I hate coming out to other girls. They always try to "convert" me by talking about guys with me.

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Only came out to 2 guys directly so far(one being my brother) and the rest were females. It was still very awkward. I get where the OP is coming from. I just told the females they can tell their husbands or significant others but no one else outside their immediate family as I'm inching out on my own.

10. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I feel worse about coming out to the opposite sex since I don't get nearly as bad of a reaction or a threat from straight women.

11. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I usually let people get to know me until I come out to them. No one has accused me of fancying them and only 1 person ever turned their back on me (he died a few years ago). The only people who have made the accusations are other gay people who I wern't really into lol

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I get worried about these things

1. she thinks I want to have sex with her and I'm attracted to her
    2. she thinks she can use me as her little experiment to try out lesbian sex
    3 she invites me for a 3some with her and her boyfriend despite the fact that I told her I'm a lesbian .
    4. she asks me stupid questions about lesbian sex
    5. she asks me about my sexual history or wants me to prove I'm a lesbian
    6. she tells me how great dick is and that I'm missing out and not sleeping with the right men .
    I always thought if dick is so damn great why do most women not orgasm from it ?
    7. She gets scared of me and starts treating me different
    8. She doesn't want to hangout with me because I'm a lesbian and I don't like chasing dick like her .

9. She treats me worst now that she knows I'm lesbian and hangs out with me less .

13. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, not really. I couldn't care less if they feel awkward. If they suddenly think that I'm going to come onto them or are automatically be attracted to them then they really need to get over themselves.

Happy days :slight_smile:

14. LiquidSwords

Yes, quite a bit. After coming out to friends I try hard not to give them the impression I like them, whether I do or not, because I don't want things to be awkward. I think it's generally not a problem though as long as you don't give them reason to think you like them.

15. BethLauren

Yep. I'm always scared that when I come out to my female friends they'll start treating me differently. So far, that hasn't happened thankfully.

16. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never had any negative reactions from any of my guy friends, including one who I had a crush on and thought might be gay (he isn't).

Once I'm out, I sort of test to see what people are comfortable with me talking about...from celebrities I find attractive at the most basic level up to stories of sexual encounters at the most extreme, and then I know where the line is. I go cautiously with that and check to make sure the person is comfortable.

17. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I never really thought of it like that. But if someone is convinced they are so sexy that all the gay people want them, who am I to shatter their delusions.

18. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yea.it still bothers me a bit, and i think there are some guys in my class that are a bit wierded out, but since i came out, i don't really care what people think about me. but it still does concern me a bit.

19. ChibiXio

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A little. My friend i came out to was a little uncomfortable when i told her (we had to share a room with one bed for two days) but after the first day and a few questions she was all okay about it. We even went to a party on the last day and she kept pointing out girls or guys to me.

20. lionfood

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm always slightly surprised how tolerant everyone is :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm only out to one guy, actually. I think he's possibly gay :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Oddly enough, two of the times I've come out, one told me she was bicurious and the other told me she was probably bisexual. That could just be an attempt to relate, but I think in one of the cases it was actually true.