1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You should get married at your age and start having babies before your eggs dry up

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, Jun 24, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I was sitting with my mom and she turned towards me and said that she thinks I should get married and start having kids , I told her I want a career and she said that I should forget about it and just find a man and marry and have kids . Now one of my dream in my life is to have a career and I would hate myself if I never live that dream and right now in my life I don't want kids and I'm not in love with anyone at the moment , but when I kept thinking about it if I had a long time girlfriend that I loved I wouldn't mind getting married at this age but I prefer getting married at 28 or 29 and I can chase after my career while being married but thinking about I figured that I was right about my mom wanting me to have kids and get married right away .
    Do you guys get pressured by your parents to marry the opposite sex and have children too ?

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Re: You should get married at your age and start having babies before your eggs dry u

I'm so lucky my parents aren't like that. I still feel so young and immature, I'd never be able to handle it.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Re: You should get married at your age and start having babies before your eggs dry u

I couldn't handle babies either . I don't even have a decent job to feed myself how am I gonna feed a baby

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

*holds baby by foot* did i make this

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

:grin:lol your funny

6. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

how is babby formed

how girl get pragnant

7. hoodiestrings

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Yeah, I pretty much decided I was going to be childfree when I was 16 :astonished:
    I just can't see children in my life and there's so much else I'd like to accomplish.
    My mom yelled at me about it, but now she hasn't brought it up as much.
    And my parents don't know that I'm bi, so they kind of assume I'm going to marry the opposite sex haha T.T

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Your the same as me minus the bisexual part .

9. Re: You should get married at your age and start having babies before your eggs dry u

Coming from a traditional Chinese-Vietnamese household, we get pressured to study a lot and then we get pressured to get married, which is the reason why most men in China marry the opposite sex, naturally have kids, and be very unhappy with an incredibly higher suicide rate than their western counterparts.

In the long run, the studying helps us be on time with everything. If I get excellent grades, then I can sail through eight years of school (including grad school) and get married in my mid-20's. I'm expected to get married before I turn 30. My sister is four years from being 30 and my parents are like "WHEN YOU GET MARRIED AH?!?!!!!" even though she's only been it for four years.

This kind of issue was mentioned in my very first thread on how to come out to Asian parents. Not only am I expected to get married, I'm expected to have kids. Since gay marriage was legalized four months after posting that thread, it's a bit of a relief, but it's still rather stressful for me.

It's not really pressure for me, but my parents just bring up that topic more and more often. I feel like I want to disintegrate when they bring it up, especially when the words "...find a wife..." come out.

10. White Knight

No different in here Turkey. Your destiny set when you're born; finish the school, get married, have children. From the state of the country you can easily understand first of one of those rules are easy blind-sided. Other two? God forbid. Why did you born then?

Still at this age, not my mother but my aunt and other relatives keep asking me when I will get married.:rolle:

Well to me it looks like a guy who didn't have a single girlfriend up to age 40 probably have something else going....:grin:

11. Re: You should get married at your age and start having babies before your eggs dry u

Yeah, as much as it's nice to be able to please one's parents (and grandparents, in my case) I am not having children. I may not even marry my partner, as I'm not a big fan of marriage. I don't fight with them about it. I don't feel the need to explain myself other than that I don't want those things and there are other things I want instead. No one is pleased with this decision, but I have remained adamant. No. Kids. Dogs, yes. No kids though :lol:

The reality is that we don't always turn out the way our parents imagined we would. And that's okay. Because we aren't just a vehicle for them to live out some dream of theirs and eventually get to spoil the resulting grandkids. As much as they may have created us and/or raised us, they don't get to say what will make us feel most fulfilled in life. That's for us to decide for ourselves, even if they think it's disappointing.

So yeah, parents lay on the pressure to do the things they want us to do, but that doesn't mean we have to--or should--do any of it at all, if we don't want to.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Well I know I'll be accepted by most of my family and by 100% of my immediate family but you know I do get pressured since I'm not out to them. They're like what you don't have a girlfriend you're so handsome and I just laugh and smile and in my mind I'm like this is so awkward! And my mom says oh you're so sweet I bet you'll have an awesome wife and kids and I'm thinking mmm well u mean husband and no kids :lol: I like kids but I can't imagine having one of my own.

13. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Nope, I've been there and done that. I have two lovely boys and should my next partner be female, I don't intend on having anymore.

Having kids isn't the be all and end all of life. Yes, it's a wonderful experience for those who want it, but it's certainly not for everyone and I'd never think less of those who chose not to have kids.

Plus, it's not like we are short of people on this little rock flying through space.

Happy days :slight_smile:

14. Hexagon

Thankfully, I can't have kids. I've talked to my mother about it. She doesn't seem to mind.

15. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people

I know this all too well. I was raised by my maternal family, the majority of which are religious in varying degrees and old-fashioned. They've tried pulling this BS on me so many times. When I was a kid, attempts were made to groom me into wanting to follow this path.

One time I was in the car with my grandmother, and under the guise of my mom being depressed, she chose that time to "randomly" get into family mode. Basically, I was forced into saying that I wanted to get married and have kids. She wanted to know the exact race of the guy, the gender of the children I intended to have, and how many I would be having. The whole thing was very strange, to say the least…

I think that the pressure/expectation is still there, but it no longer seems to be quite as strong as it used to be. I don't enjoy the idea of them knowing about the complexities of my identity, so when these situations do come up, I always end up making excuses as to why I am not fulfilling these expectations.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I think it's time Operation: Christmas Stocking was initiated, and we rescued you from Fort Doom, because your life is like one bad reality television program.

17. Yosia

*Puts on gear and loads gun* lets go!! XD

18. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

My mother doesn't seem to care if I'll have kids one day.
    My father, on the other hand, doesn't mention it but always says that "women who don't have children later regret it because it is a woman's nature to have children and those who don't do it are selfish, career addicts, crazy feminists etc etc"...

19. BethLauren

My sister is married, has a career, and is prepping for kids, so she's filling the grandchild quota. My parents already have the perfect child, they don't care what I do. I'm happy with this arrangement :icon_wink

20. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Tell her you're having your eggs cryogenically frozen so you can give her grandkids from a test tube.