1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is coming out easier for lesbians or gays?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by adrianislander, Jun 24, 2014.

1. adrianislander

okay now let me start by apologizing for asking the question in the first place! i know this is totally subjective but from my observations in my community it seems to me the the public is generally more accepting of lesbian relationships than they are of gay relationships. i know of only two out gay couples in my community while there are several lesbian couples in comparison. i just thought i'd ask the question! and again i'm sorry if i offend anyone! i'm new at this...

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I would say it just depends on the situation. I've seen many lesbians on EC who were disowned, beaten, and told death threats by their parents after coming out. Some parents are more accepting toward lesbians true, while others are more accepting toward gay men.

I don't think either of us have it harder or easier since we face discrimination in different ways.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My dad caught me kissing a girl and I got beaten for it , I don't think he would take me being a lesbian very well . I've even heard of a woman getting stabbed by her mother when she caught her making love with another woman .

My own mother feels sorry for gay men on tv when their mothers and fathers say hurtful and homophobic things to her or when someone harms a gay man . but with lesbians she says we're stupid for liking other women and she says she needs to be raped to cure her liking women .

I'm not doing a who has it worse here i say it depends on their parents and family because to me either is easier .

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is the saddest thing ever. Wow.

5. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It really depends on the situation.

6. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    For me it was somewhat easier coming out as bi. When I came out as bi people accepted it more. They usually didn't react too much to it. They never seemed to act shocked.

What a lot straight women did was talk more about boys with me. Before I came out as bi they barely ever mentioned boys. An online friend even started to talk about her sex life. I didn't hear much about her sex life before I came out as bi.

When I came out as gay, most people acted shocked. Their first instinct was to laugh or deny it. They always tried to convince me that I was going through a phase or bi.

What has been the easiest is coming out as "not straight".

7. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

I swear to god I hate your mother. Sorry if you got offended by that but (I don't see how you could).. what a bitch. She's pathetic. How can she not see how a woman can be a Lesbian? Stupid straight women.. I seriously don't understand them AT ALL.

In my opinion.. Some Lesbians have a harder time.. especially us feminine Lesbians. Guys and their annoying egos about how a ''pretty'' girl can't be a lesbian pisses me off. I am so into women and I am so girly but to them it's like i'm faking it to get rid of them? I come out to strangers i'll never see again and i've gotten that response already. I know not all guys are like that THANK GOD. Coming out isn't easier for either gender though. I believe we all struggle the same.

#7 ChloeKiss, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  8. thekillingmoon

It's not easy for anyone. Unless your family and friends are all pro glbt.

9. adrianislander

thank you for sharing and honestly i truly am sorry for all of your predicaments! i seriously wish i had phrased my question better. what i meant to ask is is society more accepting of lesbians than gays? really i'm sorry and i'll avoid making such mistakes in the future. :icon_redf

10. Hexagon

Is it really necessary to figure out who's oppressed the most? How about we all just agree we're in this fight together.

11. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I so wanna hug you every time when I read about your parents. (*hug*)

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's different for everyone, usually dependent on their context (not just sexuality-wise)

However, I've noticed that queer women often have to assert their sexuality a little more than queer men, because their sexual autonomy is downplayed to the point where people scarcely believe it exists.

13. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

It's harder for trans people.