1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coincidences?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by silentsound, Aug 25, 2008.

1. silentsound

Do you believe in coincidences? Why or why not?

2. berileos

berileos Guest

I don't really believe,but it seems they happen to me all the time,for no reason...Just last night I dreamed someone I haven't seen for a very long time,and then today I see that person!:eek:It's unexplainable!

3. panda

In my AA days an Old-Timer said, "Coincidence is spelled GOD. "

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm a definitive believer! Just this weekend I was driving about 3 hours from here and thinking about one of my old daycare kids who had moved to that area. I decided to stop at the Super Walmart to get a new blender and on my way out, there she was with her Mom and her baby sister. She was so excited to see me, she squeeled! I was happy to see her too! She was one of my favorites.

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How dyslexic were they? :confused: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don't think there is a question of whether we believe in coincidences or not as they do happen. What they mean though is the bit people have different beliefs in. :grin:

6. Nova713

Nova713 Guest

There is no such thing as coincidence. Only the illusion of coincidence. (I think that's a quote from "V for Vendetta")

Seriously though... I don't really believe in coincidence. Far too many coincidental things have happened to me in the past for me to believe in it. I do believe on the other hand, that everything happens for a reason.

7. ausdtc

I don't have any special beliefs regarding coincidences, when they happen I think "whoa, that's cool" and that's about it.

There's a book I read, "The Celestine Prophecy" by James Redfield, that has a very interesting take on the coincidences that happen to us all. It's all a bit far-fetched in my opinion (it is fiction after all!), especially the later chapters that just get all the more bizarre, but definitely an interesting read.

8. Daniel

I believe in Fata, or fate.

9. panda

Ha Ha . At first I couldn't understand what you meant 'cause I didn't remember what dyslexic meant then I remembered Hee Hee.

Anyway what Bob Shaw meant was that a belief in a Higher Power or God can bring about good things, and good fortune. When I was a more spiritual person I found this to be true.
    Now that I'm trying to find a clearer pathway I hope I can rediscover that hope.

Of course that means that the Coincidences should be good and beneficial.

10. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, and no. In a certain sense, every action affects every other action, and thus everything happens because something before it affected certain conditions, but I don't think there's any sort of higher power waving the puppet strings from above. I don't think there's any sort of divine plan set in motion that organizes everything that will ever happen, but I do think that certain actions will affect the outcome of other actions. It probably made more sense in my head.

11. myra

I don't believe in coincidents. Used to. But now my minds matured a bit. I believe in Fate. Everything happens for a reason. If it happens, its because, through some previous action of yours of someone else's, it was destined to happen. Hey...I met my boyfriend through what seemed like coincident. Trust me, it was destiny. I swear that he is my soul mate. My other half. We almost met three months before we got together. If we hadn't met when we did, we woulda met at college. Its all in fate's hands.

12. abyssx3

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I've always hated that belief because it feels like for the most part fate is very cruel. Think about the homeless people walking down skid road Los Angeles. Were they destined to be that way? I hate believing that I have no control of my life rather it's all previously written in stone.
    -Eddy

13. Poring

"Are you a man of science, or a math of faith?" -Episode from LOST :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Honestly though, even though I'm more of a man of reason and fact, I still believe that everything happens for a reason. There is no such thing as a coincidence or 'accidents'.

So next time you find yourself trapped in a ditch somewhere, or in a driver's seat of a car fleeing from the cops, maybe its life or faith or even God wanting to teach you a lesson. :grin:

14. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

I don't think it's a matter of believing or not...coincidences happen weather you believe in them or not. But as for explaining them from what I read at the beginning of the thread... I believe in the secret so that's what I would say it was the law of attraction.

15. berileos

berileos Guest

Read this:
    Secret of number 11

1)New York City has 11 letters
    2)Afghanistan has 11 letters
    3)Ramsin Yuseb has 11 letters(the terrorist that threatened to USA in 1993 that he will destroy Twin Towers)
    4)George W. Bush has 11 letters
    Now it's getting interesting...
    1)New York City is the 11th country of USA
    2)The first plane that crashed in Twin Towers was the plane of - flight 11
    3)There was 92 passengers in that plane: 9+2=11
    4)The second plane from flight 77 that also hit the building had 65 passengers: 6+5=11
    5)Tragedy happened in September,as they all mention 9/11
    6)This date looks like the SOS number - 911
    Read further...
    1)Number of victims in kidnapped planes is 254
    2)11th September is the 254th day in a year 2+5+4=11
    3)Attack in Madrid happened on 11.03.2004 1+1+3+2+4=11
    4)Attacks in Madrid happened on 911th day from attack at the Twins
    Eagle is the well known symbol of America...
    This is a quote from Kuran,the Book of Islam:
    "A son of Arabian wakes up the terrifying Eagle.Eagle's rage spreads around the all land of Allah,until some fell in despair,after,more and more people became happier.Eagle's rage cleans the land of Allah and peace comes."
    This quote has a number 9.11
    You still doubt?
    You can do this in Microsoft Word:
    1)Mark symbol Q33 NY with a mouse.It is the mark of the first flight that ended its journey on Twins.
    2)Choose the size of font 48.
    3)Change font to Windings.
    What do you say now?:badgrin:

16. EthanS

EthanS Guest

And my house number is 11! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. panda

Holy Crap!!:eek:

18. pwnorton

i don't believe that everything happens for a reason. i just think that stuff happens, and we humans want it to mean something, so we find a reason (big or small) that could explain why it happened. i hate the word fate. i do not believe that there is any such thing as fate.

but that's just me :grin:

19. Louise

I believe coincidences definately happen but I also believe they are designed by fate, to what ends I do not know but I definately believe in fate; if I didn't choose to be born white, female, straight in a middle class family in Britain then who did choose for me... fate coz sure as hell no one is going to choose to be born in some deperately poor country the10th child to a malnourished woman with aids 10 km on foot from the nearest clean drinking water!

Fate put us on this earth and made us what we are, now it is up to us to make the most of that.

20. Jim1454

Also being in a 12 step program, the thinking is that a higher power plays a hand in our lives, if you let it. I've come to accept and believe that. By turning my will and my life over to my higher power, I've come from the brink of suicide to being the happiest that I've ever been in my life. This came about through a series of events that I certatinly didn't orchestrate - I couldn't have. And in hind-sight, I couldn't have improved on the sequence of events or people that I've met to make the journey any better...

So is all that just coincidence? I don't think so. In my opinion it verges on miracle. And I know that I'm not sufficiently gratefull, but I try to be every day.