1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to gently let someone who likes you know your gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by redneck, Jun 26, 2014.

1. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, I think I inadvertently started something with a girl at work that I really don't know all that well. We work on the same line but the longest conversation we have ever had was when me and my buddy were playing Rock, Paper, and Scissors and she asked what we were doing.

I noticed a couple weeks ago she looked like she had something on her mind and just to cheer her up I walked over and said something like "Smile, you are so much prettier when you smile" then I'd catch her looking my way and motion her to smile. This lasted a day or two and then we kinda went back to co-existing. Well until yesterday, for the last two days she has been playfully slugging my arm and giving me a big smile (she is very pretty especially when she smiles) or sneaking up and surprizing me, then she smacked my butt today.

How do I go about letting this girl I really don't know that well know I am gay without hurting her? I had another girl I was friends with that started acting like she liked me and I just fit something into a conversation that would let her know, but I really don't talk to this girl. I'm afraid that just telling her bluntly that I'm gay will make her think I'm just being a jerk. I mean I am known to tell my friends bluntly what I'm thinking but I would like to know a tactful way to let this girl know.

2. Hexagon

"Sorry, I'm gay"

3. Yosia

'Hey look, you are a very beautiful girl and you are sweet, funny (whatever you want to describe her as), but i thought i should let you know, im attracted to boys not girls.'

Its better than just telling her bluntly because you are being nice about it and complimenting her.

I hope it goes well. ^.^

4. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps you could start by wearing some rainbow things. It may give a hint...

Happy days :slight_smile:

5. mangotree

Are u sure she's flirting with u or just being friendly (like u were to her)?
    I guess probably just don't give off any romantic signals and see if she stops, and if she doesn't - just wait until your suspicions are confirmed (e.g. She asks you out), and then tell her.
    You don't want to come across as a tool for thinking she wants you when there's a chance that she doesn't. Just saying...

Peace (*hug*)

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can do little more than reiterate what others have said, but I'll say it anyway.

Unless she does something really open (basically telling you she likes you), it's better not to tell her you're gay in as many words or otherwise imply that you think she likes you - it can come across as pretty confronting. If you've misread her intentions, she might think you're being too presumptuous and be offended.

With her smacking your butt, if you're uncomfortable with that, you should bring it up separately. It's not so much a matter of your sexuality as it is that she's being inappropriate.

However, there's no harm in mentioning that you're into guys, or just saying something like "my ex... he," or mentioning a date with a guy. As long as you keep it truthful, it's a far more tactful and less risky way of telling her.

Good luck with the situation. :slight_smile:

7. sammy1

The way I see it is since u do not know her that well u might as well just say something like 'hey you know I'm gay, right?' When she starts acting all flirty with u. Just say something simple I guess. That's what I would do in that situation

8. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

the smacking of the butt is really weird, do u have like a gay pride 2009 shirt or anything u can wear

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was a girl who was attracted to me and after asking me a couple questions about a class project, she said, "Can I ask a personal, uncomfortable question? Are you gay?"

I just said plainly, "Yes."

10. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I usually tell guys that "I'm not looking for a relationship." I just cannot handle coming out right now.