1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost comitted

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Jun 26, 2014.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yesterday I went to a therapist because I suffered mild depression all these years and told the therapist I have tried to end my life in the past and I always suffered depression.. I did state I was not gonna harm myself or others at the time and I was fine now. The therapist spoke with his boss and lied to me saying he was gonna prescribe medication. Well the boss thought i should be committed and I refused to go to outpatient therapy. After awhile a sheriff deputy showed up at my door and told me that I have to go to court because they want me to be committed. I was put in a cop car and driven to the county courthouse where I was put in a room for hours. Another psychiatrist tried convincing to go to treatment which I refused and said I am fine and well taken care of. He said well I am gonna get you in there for two months and that is what I will suggest. Plus I will put you in a database of mentally ill people. It was a nightmare for me and my bf who did know what was happening. Luckily I had a good lawyer who convinced the judge that I was not in any present danger. God Bless my life.

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That incident scared the hell of out me and now I am so paranoid of police coming to get me.

3. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

(*hug*) believe it or not, I know what you're going through- only I wasn't taken away from my house.

I'm so sorry that happened.

4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yeah and it was crazy. I was very brave but it was so scary. Never experienced it before. I was better off going to the courthouse than just going home wasting all that gas. The boss lady warned but she did not say it was gonna be today. Thank God for a good lawyer and a good judge.

5. Hexagon

Wow, that must have been really scary. They can't go around treating people like criminals for being depressed.

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you never experienced it it is hell on earth I am so paranoid about the police and that place now. Never gonna go back there for anything. There are better places in every county.

---------- Post added 26th Jun 2014 at 06:39 AM ----------

No wonder I never told hardly anyone about the suicide attempts and depression. For this to happen yeah really makes you wanna be honest. Not!

7. Foxface

none of this sounds right

and I want to make it super clear I don't mean OP is lying

it just sounds off

I spend every day at work (outside of my therapy hours) admitting or discharging emergency mental healthcare clients and this whole thing is quite odd

So if you will dano, work with me. I am going to pretend I was your therapist

1. The first problem is the lack of immediacy. If I wanted to hospitalize you, I would have needed to prove you were a serious threat to yourself RIGHT NOW...Prior suicide attempts are a concern for us, but not a sole determining factor for immediacy. It only means that the potential is there...and if that was the case...

2. I wouldn't have you driven to a courthouse. You'd go straight to an ER. Of course my concerns would have been no longer valid because...

3. Now that you're in the ER, others will make a final decision about how best to keep you safe. Then should they have decided that you were a danger to yourself they...

4. Would have kept you for a much much shorter period than 2 months. A typical 2 month stay is what occurs when a client has been hospitalized over and over and now needs to stay at a state hospital. And then even if by some miracle all of these degrees were met...

5. I have yet to see this magical database. In fact if I want to hospitalize someone that I don't have prior records on, I have to call around, contact people, get waivers and the like

so again...making real clear to you I don't think you are lying...merely pointing out the sickness and weirdness of how you were treated

I mean yes I suppose a psychiatrist DOES have the ability to go to court to have rights taken away but that is a very last ditch effort that is typically reserved for someone who is incredibly mentally ill and absolutely refuses to seek treatment

sorry that you had this occur.

8. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually agree with your assessment. It was not that I refused treatment or was constantly hospitalized. I really told anyone I attempted or even thought of suicide and this was the first therapist that I ever told that. I told many therapists of the depression but never was put before a judge or anything like that. I was in no danger to myself either and yeah it looks like they violated my rights as a patient because there was no probable cause for immediate action. I didn't believe there was such database in the first place.

9. Hexagon

I've been threatened with it before. So I know how you feel.

10. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had the police come to my house to put me in the hospital... it sucks. Tho as said above what you experienced sounds nothing like the system I'm used to.

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. I am glad i got to sleep in my own bed last night and I am incredibly thankful I am safe.

---------- Post added 26th Jun 2014 at 07:28 AM ----------

Exactly. I could sue their butts but i don't have the time or money right now.

12. JustMe2602

Being comitted isn't that bad at all.. :wink: