1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawrence Kansas

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bdubb, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Bdubb

Bdubb Guest

I live in a small college town in Kansas called Lawrence. It is one of the coolest places I've ever been to besides San Francisco. I came through for a visit on my way to Dallas back in 2009 and fell in love with the place almost instantly. I came back through on my way back from Dallas on that same trip, having pretty much decided that I was going to move away from Detroit, my home town, for good. I had recently graduated from college, was struggling with untreated depression/self esteem issues and was convinced I had just racked up tons of student loan debt for a degree I wasn't even sure I wanted or needed.

Basically I was in a pretty dark place emotionally.

Five weeks to the day after having flown out of the Kansas City International Airport, I was flying back in, with a house to live in and a job lined up already that I would be starting the next day. Sometimes, you just know that things are going exactly the way they should be when everything falls into place with not much effort on my part. I call it intuition, or the Universe or whatever. I just knew that coming here was in the stars for me.

It's been over four years now, and I can't even begin to describe how "right" the decision was. In so many ways. I had the mayor appoint me to the city's human relations commission, which is the entity responsible for having city code written to protect gender identity here in our town. Among other things. I feel very blessed to be helping make my town an even better place.

It is a very liberal place. There are many LGBT folks in every possible scenario and I love it. It is probably the ONLY place in Kansas where you will see two men or two women walking down the streets holding hands. Without fear. Knowing it's ok.

I love so many more things about Lawrence Kansas and could never really sum it up in a simple post. I'd advise anyone to just come here, wander around and just start making friends-- You will soon be amazed by what a great place it is.

My only complaint after these last few years is that I still haven't found a boyfriend. I suppose that on some level I was thinking " Oh, I'll be in some Gay Haven Where Boyfriends Fall From the Sky! " This has not been the case for me, and some days I get really sad about it, and other days I realize that I am doing really important work here, and maybe I can worry about a mate after I am done being of service.

If there is one thing I know, is that being a volunteer and a board member or a commissioner has enriched my life in ways I never anticipated. I am grateful to Lawrence Kansas for casting it's spell on me.

Thanks for allowing me this caffeine-fueled dialog! And have a great day

:slight_smile:

2. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

We are all here to listen although I am relatively new(joined yesterday) I've been wandering the site for a couple days. But here on the EC forum people are very supportive and will both advise and support you and as for you're boyfriend situation your bound to find him it's going to happen sooner or later it just takes time but once you find him you'll know if he is the right man for you. So don't worry about it live life and enjoy it.

3. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Bdubb,
    People are very supportive here on EC, and have a out of wisdom to share, so you've come to the right place
    Welcome
    :slight_smile:

4. girlpower

Well. to start with all the best I hope you find a partner soon. But honestly i was more into reading about the place you are living in. While reading the description i felt its some fairy tale, a dream land. i wish i could be there some day :slight_smile:

5. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lawrence is truly an awesome place, and I'm so glad that my parents moved here all those years ago.
    It's such a unique town in the middle of the bland Midwest.
    You and I have talked about the boyfriend thing before, but ye - it's odd that there aren't more older gay men here. It's definitely a young scene for lgbt folks.

I love it here, and am glad you do too.

6. Bdubb

Bdubb Guest

Well, I really do appreciate the opportunity to communicate again, and to write a bit. I gave up all of my social networking about four months ago and haven't reached out via the internet for some time.

For what it lacks in boyfriend material, Lawrence more than makes up for in inspirational people and the best friends I've ever known!

7. lovely lesbian