1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTHER closets?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mangotree, Jun 26, 2014.

1. mangotree

It just crossed my mind that being in the closet isn't a uniquely LGBTIQ thing.
    A lot of people have trouble coming out about other things.

For example, there's a guy that I know at work who is a Mormon.
    He always seems very shy/nervous to talk about it and doesn't seem to tell most people at work.

I also felt the same back in my teens/early-twenties when I was going through sort of a Christian phase.
    I felt a bit ashamed of it and rarely shared it with "non-believers" and always felt nervous talking about it. Especially with my parents - who are agnostic.

So does anyone else have any "Other Closet" stories or experiences?

Peace! (*hug*)

2. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I was in the agnostic closet for a long, long time. My father wanted me to be dead; he's a very religious christian.

3. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a few mental health problems that I'm in the closet about. I only tell people that I'm anxious. I also have some unique spiritual beliefs that I don't like to share with most people. Mainly because I'm scared of them thinking I'm crazy.

4. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well i think "the closet" in general is starting to become more and more of a metaphor for secrets. so i think i can agree in a sense.

Religion plays a huge part and not a lot of people realize it. there's a constant struggle of shoving down ideals of whether or not you should believe in something or not. i was talking to a guy recently and he seemed scared to tell me that he was a catholic and a gay man. he didn't want to share it with the rest of the group that we're a part of because he feels that they will be indifferent about it. i told him that it doesn't really change anything about who he is as a person and that people can stick to what they like to believe.
    i'm probably still "in the closet" about being non religious. i'm looking into a lot of these things but i still haven't decided. that's just me trying discovering myself. about what works for me. my parents still think i'm a satanist because i simply listen to heavy metal. i think i might have other stories about "other closets" but that's one i can think of in top of my head.

5. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have heard it said that people into bdsm can be 'in the closet' for similar reasons, lack of understanding, stereotypes, people thinking they are perverted, fear of how those closest would react etc.

6. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tend to be in the closet about my health issues. I absolutely hate it when my family just tell people about it and think it's okay

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Kind of.

I used to sell various "merchandise", a few years ago, and while those I was funded by knew, as well as those who wanted/needed their fix; no one in my family knew. I kept it in the closet, mostly to keep it hush mouth, because you have to be careful about sharing such things. My family never seemed to wonder, how the hell I was able to buy new outfits and fill my gas tank, when I had no job and was in school.

I've since stopped that, though the temptation to go back into it, due to the quick and easy money, is always there. I do miss being able to tell people, all the time, to 'keep the change', because I'd be handed another stack soon enough.

That would probably be the most interesting "secret" about me, other than personal tidbits and beliefs.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My pastor friend who heads an evangelical church had a difficult time "coming out" as a Democrat. He lost a lot of supporters within the denomination when he did.

Did these guys scare you? Kentucky Justice | National Geographic Channel I am glad you live to tell about it.

9. Foxface

not a bit,,,plenty of other closets exist...I am a Pagan...not everyone knows

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

No, not really. But I was also somewhat arrogant and naive, then. Sure, there was the potential fear of being busted, but it tends to get buried under your new friends: George, Abraham, Alexander, Andrew, and Benjamin.

The area I'm in, also, doesn't go as hard as other areas of Kentucky. Sure, it has special units for these types of things, but they are slightly underfunded and moderately unmotivated. Only every few years, when the DEA sends their agents, does the heat actually threaten to burn. Aside from that, the heat is barely simmering.

Of course, that doesn't mean you can freely do such things. Idiots still get caught, and the arrogant pay for their self-believed superiority, because they get sloppy.

11. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm "in the closet" for my mental health and such, like depression, anxiety and some other things

12. Perseus

Maybe the "Nerd" or "Music Geek" closet for me? Or the "I get good grades" closet.

Some people might have the "I'm a fan of..." closet, a "my parents are divorced" closet, "I'm in a relationship" closet... etc.

13. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Health issues, my views on certain things, spiritual/mystical things that have happened to me, and my religion.

14. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I'm in the closet because I'm ADHD.

15. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in the brony closet for 3 years, then finally came out in february.

16. Cass

I'm a hypochondriac, but I'm afraid of the doctor, so I secretly panic over stupid things like new freckles or a sore joint. If that counts

I'm also closeted about my liberalish view on Christianity

17. timo

I use some "merchandise" (mostly X) once every few months, it's really wonderful at certain parties or nights out. Some of my friends know as we go to the same parties, but you can call it a closet because it's something I'll never tell my parents or certain other friends, as they're dead set against any form of doing this.

18. Rumpletubb

I'm a closeted Backstreet Boys fan. And somewhat closeted manga and anime nerd. Love it, all of the before-mentioned.

Why? Because I'm a 205 lb 6'2 ex-soilder boxer and some of my friends believe I'm immortal. Honestly.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Generally, in America, especially in the West, it's really easy to tell. They went to THE Mormon university, they're squeaky clean, they make babies (even while enrolled in college), and they have ties to Utah or Idaho. They do not hide it. In fact, they come to your door!

I knew of one Jehovah's Witness, who was shy about his religion. I only found out because the office celebrated birthdays and he wasn't on the list. I then asked him why and he told me JWs don't celebrate birthdays. That's cool.

I knew of one or two Jewish people who lived in areas with minimal Jewish representation who kept it under wraps. It was a blue state, so I don't know why they did. One had married and had acquired a typically American last name in the process.

As for Mormons, singles, or unmarried people, are a source of "concern" within their church, and there are writings to prove that belief. I find it extremely offensive. No other religion singles them out the way that they do. Therefore, I try to avoid them. Now someone here will shake a finger at me, I'm sure, but that's not your problem.

I think, in general, when a person is flying solo without much of a support system, they might be more of a hermit, or simply more private, and create a "closet" of sorts. The mention of mental health issues in above posts is another closet. People may say they're on antidepressants but not share their diagnoses.

20. TeePee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow! Where i come from nobody would be shy about their religion, even mormons. Anything religious ia applauded. What one might not like to share is their ideas of atheism.
    Here, atheism is easily taken as Satanism.