1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Pride Parades and Demi Lovato's Really Don't Care Video

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bisexualkpopfan, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Hello all! Hope you are doing well :slight_smile:

Anyways, I know there was a thread about gay pride parades before, but I decided to bring it up again because of something.

If you are a Demi Lovato fan, then you know that Demi released her Really Don't Care music video today, full of scenes from LA Pride this year. I liked seeing people coming together and being themselves as she said, but there were a lot of half naked men almost in underwear - And although that's cool, the gay pride parades, if they are all like that, aren't for me.

Also, I showed the video to my dad and he hated it - My dad blamed Demi for being a Christian and how she "knows better and yet has the gays strutting with her". Honestly, he shouldn't have a problem with it because we are all human, but I just feel like that's what him and other homophobic people think that being gay is all about - Gay men strutting around in underwear. I admire Demi's move to support the LGBTQ community, but I feel like with so much emphasis on the flashy parades with men in underwear, it makes gays look more obnoxious and promiscuous - Basically, it shows more of the stereotypical gay person.

There is nothing wrong with being the "stereotype" at all though. Whether you are in your underwear or half naked doesn't take away from the fact that you are still a wonderful human who deserves rights, but I just think that this won't help homophobic people get a better representation of gays. Like, I would of really rather the video be more about the love and the relationship of the people in the LGBTQ community - Because then I feel that people like my dad will be more accepting.

Does anyone get what I'm saying? I hope I wasn't offending to anyone, there was really nothing wrong with this video or gay pride parades in general, but I was just speaking that in terms of getting more people to accept the community, it wasn't going to cut it. More things like Macklemore's Same Love would help though. However, it's true that pride parades are about celebrating and being who you are and trying to get someone's approval shouldn't be the main focus.

Let me know what you all think about this and here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJGUbwVMBeA

2. Hiems

I really like Demi because she's a very supportive ally. In addition to this video, she showed her support by playing a lesbian character on Glee and mentioning that her grandpa was one of the trailblazers for LGBT rights in the 60's. She claims to feel that his spirit is in her too, which is pretty evident from what she has done for us.

To create shock factor, the media focuses on sexualized aspects of pride, contrary to the fact that other people attend pride too, e.g. gay/lesbian parents and their kids, pro-gay companies, trans* people, etc.

Regardless, shunning folks in the community from attending to appease those who don't approve defeats the purpose of pride.

Even if the sexualized tone reduced, the fact that people are gay, bi, lesbian, and trans* will still irk naysayers, so gaining their acceptance is unlikely. So I think it's better to allow people to shamelessly celebrate who they are as humans.

3. I know right? I definitely consider myself a Lovatic and she's one of the people who helped me be more comfortable with who I am! She's done so much for the community <3 Anyways, that's true, it's probably just the media sexualizing things as always, but you are right, they should still be able to do whatever they want and still get acceptance. Especially because there are so many sexual scenes with straight people on TV too and no one hates on them for that - So, yes, you have a very good point, people are people and deserve to be treated to same no matter what! Thanks for giving your feedback! :slight_smile:

4. Perseus

Love the song, great to see other people support the community and spread the good message out there :slight_smile:

5. Lipstick Leuger

I understand what you are saying. If straight people want to accept us ONLY if we are Conservative, then they have to judge and not accept those that are: wearing bikinis, thong underwear, show cleavage, wear our clothes to tight and show camel toe, showing butt crack, boys with their nipples hanging out, anyone wearing bright clothes, everyone is bars, people who wear swimwear in public, anyone who gets drunk and makes an ass of themselves, anyone at a party, cheaters on their spouses, anyone who dates not with in their age range, Democrats, anyone who has sex out of marriage.....the list goes on and on.

It is simply an excuse. That is all. We will never be 'normal' to them and unfortunately, by asking for the more brightly colored gays to tone it down, they are trying to force us to internalize their Homophobia. Society does this enough as it is. We should not ever support it in our culture.

#5 Lipstick Leuger, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  6. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I don't feel much obligation to change what I do so homophobes would like me, so I feel like we should be able to go around in our underwear or in leather during pride if we want to, I mean, we're proud of ourselves, so why should we cover up?

7. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I kinda judge anybody that shows their parts gay&straight or pan or bi .doesnt matter people should be more modest there are kids around .