1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you every suffer from bad nightmares or night terrors?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jun 26, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

Do you every suffer from bad nightmares or night terrors? How bad are they? Is there anything that triggers them? Is there a common theme in the nightmares?

----------------------

I've been known to sleepwalk and I sometimes wake up to find my room's light is on (I obviously turn off the lights when I go to bed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

I also sometimes have very bad and lucid nightmares that can get scary. I had a bad episode last night. I had a nightmare that a man opened the door to my room and released 10 poisonous snakes and I freaked out to the point that my sister across the hallway heard me. Also, I don't even remember this, but apparently I threw towards the door my iPhone and charger together (I keep it plugged in next to my bed), apparently in an attempt to hit the snakes. Let's just say that my history of bad nightmares is something I have to disclose if I were to ever sleep with someone :lol::dry:.

2. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It seems like whenever I can actually sleep at all, I have nightmares.

I dream a lot about drowning or not being able to breathe. Makes me wonder if I have apnea or something. I also have nightmares about things falling on me. Recently I had one where it felt like someone was holding me down and strangling me.

I've been a sleepwalker since I was a kid and it used to be very bad. I would get up and do things. Rearrange stuff or start a task like washing the dishes or something. For a while my parents were worried I would wander out of the house but that never happened. I can't tell you how many times I've woken up fully clothed, including shoes, that I put on while sleeping.

Don't really walk anymore but I move a lot. Thrash and stuff. No one ever stayed in bed with me for long. Getting elbowed in the face isn't fun apparently.

3. Hiems

Eating before sleeping makes your brain more active, possibly contributing to triggering nightmares.

I'm not sure if this is completely true for me. I used to eat midnight snacks, but sometimes I experienced nightmares. To be safe, I have avoided eating close to bedtime.

Nowadays I rarely have nightmares. The last time was ~6 months ago. And the one before that was probably years ago.

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I once woke up gasping. I couldn't remember the dream, but it had to be bad for me to wake up like that. Being forced awake by yourself is a really weird and really uncomfortable feeling.

But since then, I haven't had a nightmare. Or dreams, for that matter. Maybe I just don't remember them.

5. KayJay

I used to frequently have nightmares of getting raped. I only ever told one person about it. It has luckily mostly stopped now, I have one every now and then. I really wish I didn't :frowning2:

It is a nice night when I have no dreams.

6. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was about 6 every night I would have a nightmare of my parents abandoning me or not accepting me for who I was or what I did.

7. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

I don't really get nightmares anymore, but I do suffer from day terrors. Practically it's like an endless living nightmare everyday for me.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only nightmares I get are when my actions towards solving some really bad problem are ineffectual for whatever reason. Mostly if people either don't listen or don't care about what I'm saying in the dream. I've occasionally screamed and cried and fought for something or other and never gotten it. Deep seated worries about my own personal influence I guess o.0

I took a nap recently and had a kinda-sorta nightmare though. I dreamed I finally got a job as a cop, and on the first day, two suspects tried to steal my car. But luckily I was right there to jump in the back seat (there was no separation from the front for some reason) so I was able to drag them back to me and throw them out while going at high speed. It was nervewracking, but I felt like a badass XD.

9. White Knight

I had them from time to time. However whenever I had one, somehow I realize it is a dream and turn it into an action movie. :grin:

Probably side effect of growing up with Nightmare on the Elm Street movies. No sir. Freddy can't get me. :grin:

10. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, more than I have regular dreams. I've just kind of gotten used to it over the years.
    There are few common themes that do recur by I tend to also have a lot of random ones. I've had many occasions of whining, talking and crying in my sleep and then being shocked awake by the nightmare. When I was still with my wife, she had to wake me up a fair few timed because of that.
    I've no idea why I am like this. Maybe my sub conscious psyche is all messed up, I don't know. But as I said, I've kind of gotten used to it.

Happy days :slight_smile:

11. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I rarely remember my dreams, and even if I did, they would be totally nonsensical, inexplicable, ineffable, whatever.

I've had some wretched, vivid, coherent nightmares the past few months I'd just as soon forget.

12. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am just usually afraid of having to be in the dark. I watched Alfred J. Kwak, went to bed and I was terrified that the black bird would suddenly be by my bed and point at me with a gun or something. (pathetic, I know) I am always afraid that I will either get murdered before I fall asleep or while I'm sleeping. That's why I always do stuff until I'm so tired I can't keep my eyes open. Then I just go to bed and fall asleep(and that's at about 3am so not good really....).

13. Daximus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As a young child I had very weird dreams that scared me. Weird visuals and things that didn't make sense. As I got older they faded away. As a young boy and teenager I had very few nightmares or bad dreams. Now a days my dreams are always enjoyable. Sometimes odd, sometimes fun or even exhilarating. Some are vivid and I remember every detail. Others are forgotten soon after waking up. I even have a lucid dream every now and then and the first thing I always do is fly or attempt to do so. It's very cool when that happens.

14. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nightmares for me seem to be very rare. I'm not sure if there are any factors that sent them off.

The themes are varied.

A few were about how I couldn't trust my family, my fear of a particular family member, and how I had been sexually abused by a family member.

There were a few about identity issues.

There have been a set of recurring dreams/nightmares that still haunt me to this day, even though it is very rare for me to dream about them…

Anyway, in regards to dreams/nightmares that are recurring, they say that it is because there is something important that the subconscious mind is trying to tell you.

15. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to wake up trembling, soaked in sweat, hyperventilating with a racing heart and absolutely terrified and upset. It would take me a minute to calm down.
    This was back when I was trying to figure out my sexuality, which was just really stressful.
    It stopped pretty much as soon as I started dating my current girlfriend.

16. Yosia

Not really but if i do i will wake straight up and cry and not stop >.<

17. Hexagon

Very rarely. I don't remember anything in the last few years.

18. black-cat

I have hideous nightmares and nighterrors to the point where I will beat up and attack in my sleep,thankfully I don't share a bed or room! I have given myself black eye, split lips and even pulled out clumps of hair. I've also given myself splinters of wood in my hands from attacking my wooden dresser, also my knuckles always look ghastly. Oh, and I cut my eyeball when I gave myself a black eye a few nights ago. I can sure throw a good punch ; )

Unfortunately I have no advice. If you are on any medications it might be worth checking to see if they cause them, its a common side effect of many drugs. Also nightmares and such are a common symptom of mental health issues.

Good luck, *hugs* I hope they improve soon.

19. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember having the same dream for a week, I was running, my legs were heavy, and somebody was folowing me, I would start to scream and I couldn't get a sound, I would wake up screaming and my heart beating like crazy ... it's a "classic" nightmares action...

I guess it was times when I wanted to run and hide from myself... I though I was going crazy back then.

Now, I sometimes have nightmares, my head is a scary place anyway.

20. Cass

It's gotten better than when I was a kid. It used to be terrible