1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

supreme court, circuit court, marriage bans etc....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by markosss, Jun 28, 2014.

1. markosss

Hi I am not from usa but I read news about other countries and lgbt laws.can somebody explain to me what is going on in usa? I know most of states have ban on same sex marriage and then a judge struck it down and marriages become legal.But always someone apeal or stay and then the case go to a circuit court....im confused can someone explain me what is happening and how a state can legalize same sex marriage?

2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Currently 19 states and the District of Columbia have legal gay marriage--they arrived at that through a variety of methods: 8 by court decision, 8 (and DC) by legislative action and 3 by popular vote. A further 9 states have had their laws banning same sex marriage struck down by courts (in many of these states gay marriage licenses have been issued) but are currently not marrying people by court order until the decision is appealed. It seems fairly clear to most people who watch the courts that gay marriage will likely be legal everywhere in the US much sooner than anyone would have thought even two years ago.