1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there something seriously wrong with the commentors on youtube?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wuggums47, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I was looking at various documentaries about dictators for a school project on youtube, and I made the mistake of reading the comments. Some of them where rather innocent, like making jokes about Stalin's momma, while others made me weep for humanity. On the second half of a documentary about Stalin someone said they wanted to kill all the nazis. I can kind of understand that. He also wants to kill everyone descended from a nazi. I don't really think it's their fault, so that's pretty creepy. And then he said he would kill all the Russians and all the Germans. And finally he would kill every racist. Okay what the hell? Does he realize the painful irony in that statement? He wants to kill entire races because he thinks those races are racist. What the frak?

2. BethLauren

Youtube,while populated by decent people, is also full of trolls and idiots (as you can see by comments on nearly any video). It's disgusting.

3. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

youtube comments are the closet we have ever gotten to the raw and unfiltered subconscious thought of humanity

it reads a lot like schizophrenia, unsurprisingly

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Better question: is there anything RIGHT in the youtube comments?

5. Foxface

most are little kids trying to be edgy

6. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are lots of trolls around. I know a few kids who do stuff like that for fun.

And there are also a lot of idiots too. Lots and lots of idiots.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    YouTube comments, just like Yahoo comments, are an intellectual wasteland. So are some newspaper comment sections, for example the Orlando Sentinel, where for three years now, the same small group of people sits and comments on every article about Casey Anthony how mad they are about the verdict three years later. All day every day.

#7 AwesomGaytheist, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  8. Hexagon

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a mixture between idiots trying to sound radical (or the exact opposite), and the expression of disgusting filth everyday people think and believe in. Even if they're trolling, that just means that they not only consider it laughing stock, but they probably have a somewhat solid belief in the behaviour they're "just joking" about.

11. BelleFromHell

Since I'm half German, I guess I need to pay for what the Nazis did, even though both sides of my family moved out of Germany before Hitler's rule, and I had nothing to do with it regardless of what my family did. *facedesk*

I was watching a talk show (can't remember the name) and the host said, "You could post a video of a puppy saving the life of a baby and you'd still get negative shit!" A majority of YouTube commenters are heartless, soulless, and BRAINLESS.

12. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course! It's a gigantic sponge soaking up the anger of frustrated people. There's news all over the internet claiming that trolls have narcissistic, machiavellian, psychopathic, and sadistic traits. If they're not immature kids, then maybe they're adults with dysfunctions. These people don't realise and/or care that these tools should generally be saved for survival. It shouldn't be something to aim for. Unless they want to walk down a path of self-destruction. I don't believe in karma, but I believe actions come back to you because people remember.

I may be a sadist, but I try not to become THAT bad. I had to split my psyche into two to cope because I have empathy. One of my old fears was that I would evolve into a serial killer. It may happen if I suffer a trauma, but other than that I keep the heavy stuff to my fantasies. It helped to read about serial killers. Pissing people off over the internet didn't cross my mind until somebody tried it on me. Deep down I think some people bring trolling on themselves, but I want to destroy that belief in time.

I can provide insight into why ignoring is the best tactic. I would lose interest if there's no reaction. Fighting back (even feigned) is fuel for the fire. You know somebody is seemingly not enjoying themselves if they're cursing you out. Some of these trolls would feel happy thinking that you're losing sleep at night. The focus is usually on other people, not themselves, that's why they either don't realise something is wrong with them or they're simply ignoring it. They might even think a person deserved to die (saying become an hero is just another way of disconnecting) if they were weak enough to kill themselves over some mean comments from strangers on the internet.

13. BiPenguin

I have a youtube channel. There are a lot of trolls and other brainless tools but you'll find that almost all of them aren't video creators.

14. Liquorice

Out Status:
    Some people
    There's something wrong with a lot of people in this world. The Internet lets them spew their bile mostly anonymously.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. The reasonable people on YT have given up wading through comments. I tried getting into it with somebody once-- instantly regretted it.

16. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know better now NEVER to read the comments on anything. It always filled with hate filled crap and bullshit and as a person who can get easily offended by hateful bs I refuse to read it anymore.

17. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most people will click on a video and watch it without so much as a thumbs rating; those who do think about commenting will look at them and think 1) why do I want to waste my energy on this? and 2) I don't want to feed/engage the trolls. So already most of the potential intelligent commenters are driven away, because they can't be bothered or won't get involved. Of those who comment, many are trolls, but many also are just appreciating the video in 1 or 2 lines, especially in the case of music videos. It very much depends on the kind of video you're watching of course, but in my experience most of the comments on music I see are just 'I like this' or 'I don't like this', with the occasional stupid discussion between those two camps but nothing overly facepalmworthy. That and the comments system isn't really meant to facilitate extended, reasoned debates. Just snapshot statements.

There are a lot of shockers on youtube comments, but a lot are bored kids impressing an imaginary someone, and the comments aren't being diluted as much as they could be by sane comments, because the sane people know it's a waste of time. Proportionally there probably is something wrong with youtube commenters but then again most people don't comment and a large number of comments aren't massively controversial. Taking that into account I'd take whatever impression I get of youtube and its usership with a large pinch of salt.

18. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Every damn time I read the comments, it's always something bad. And since I get tantalized a lot, I just avoid YouTube in general. Otherwise, I'll sacrifice myself to an entire day of face palming and angry growling.

19. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's what I thought when I saw the title of this thread.

20. Simple Thoughts

I don't have that terrible of a time with Youtube comments. I mean you see the occasional bad ones, and if you're watching an 'edgy' video or one with a tense political theme the comments go straight to heck, but...really they aren't all bad.

I watch Game Grumps ( a let's play channel ) and at the end of all their videos I read through the comments just to see, and mostly it's people being pretty decent. Some will add some input about the game, some offer tips to help the players through whatever is coming up in the next part, and others just comment on whatever story or joke Arin and Danny tell in the episode. It's very rarely anything negative.

I don't think it's fair to assume all commentors are bad people, and looking through the comments can be rather fun and interesting. :slight_smile: