1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If "God" defined marriage, does it violate the constitution?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JStevens96, Jun 30, 2014.

1. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

If God defined marriage as so many gay rights opponents claim, does it violate the 1st amendment to the US constitution?

We can't base law on religion says our first amendment, & since the government gives benefits for marriage, does it violate the constitution?

Don't ask where I suddenly came up with this theory that it does lmao, for some reason I had a dream about a debate lol

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If someone tries to say that God defined marriage, point them to the establishment clause in the First Amendment.

3. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I'll be sure to bring my pocket constitution with me at all times, lol

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Marriage was created by man not God , God believed in shacking up

5. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HAHA, i should start doing that!

in most cases, it does. separation between church and state is a very important part of the constitution when it comes to marriage.if people say God define marriage, and therefore it should be a part of law, tell em to make out with a porcupine.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't violate the 1st Amendment just to believe that. But for politicians to legislate based on that belief is directly in breach of it because it restricts the free practice of religions which believe something else.

That is why I wish the government would recognize only the legal aspects of marriage and leave the religious crap to others. Separation of church and state is necessary for this reason exactly.

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Law is meant to protect everyone's equal rights to practice any religion and other beliefs. As much we can defend the constitution and there are many things that are great about it Our founding fathers did not know what America would be today. I don't think they pictured a nation of many immigrants, cultures and religions. Of course conservatives believe the Constitution is God's law and that God's law is anti gay anti abortion.

Today if you research the bible you will find that it was continually mistranslated and that in the original writings there was no condemnation of homosexuality. So today that disputes any argument the republicans make about gay rights if only this great load of evidence meant anything to them. So God did not define marriage as man and woman period and that disputes any argument the founding father's had and so in that respect it would violate the constitution but with these mistranslations of God's word that been brainwashed into people had for years conservatives have no valid argument to defend it.

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "...nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

That's as simple as it gets. Then they pull out that bible that they thump so loudly, and that's when the First Amendment kicks in.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

9. Hexagon

Yeah, probably.

But it's ridiculous, anyway. So what if god defined marriage. There are other religions.

10. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

This.

11. BelleFromHell

Yes, it does. Not to mention it's an inaccurate theory. Marriage has been around LONG before Christianity. Plus, back then, its purpose was to unite families and expand the population. It had nothing to do with love.

12. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I look at marriage as a seal of love.. Not just a particular love but all love.

13. BelleFromHell

I agree. The definition of marriage has evolved, in a good way.

Social conservatives like to rant and rave about "traditional marriage," when they have no idea what "traditional marriage" means. "Traditional marriage" is selling your daughter to a man twice her age for a few cows, two people who don't know eachother getting hitched for familial gain, and a man marrying several women, usually against their will (plus, a few mistresses).

Support of "traditional marriage" is support of misogyny, pedophilia, and pretty much everything but love.

14. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I am sure the founding fathers never thought of what America would be and God did not condemn homosexuality anyway so the argument is not even valid. Marriage is different in every religion and culture so it shouldn't be defined specifically for a group of people.

---------- Post added 30th Jun 2014 at 09:59 AM ----------

This was very accurate and God never condemned it anyway. People take that text in the bible out of context when God created Man and Woman. It just means there are two genders created in his image and that has nothing to do with marriage.

15. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Humans invented marriage just like humans invented god.

Happy days :slight_smile:

16. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't like where this conversation is going. haha

17. ChibiXio

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm actually making a research paper on this subject for my college English class. Lots of interesting debates out there.

18. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any thing you want to know I'll help you out. This conversation is going in a lot of different directions.

19. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Very clever

20. AlamoCity

God established Catholicism. God established Protestantism. God established Islam. At least, that's what each branch tells us. Someone's lying :lol:.

Yet, all of these religions have varying interpretations of what the will of God is. Therefore, who do we believe?

The United States is a pluralistic society when it comes to religion. We cannot enforce the laws of religion, especially any one religion, when they infringe upon the freedoms of others. Unless God Himself tells us what to do (and I do mean God Himself, riding down followed by the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse), we cannot violate the sovereignty of individual rights to appease a religion.