1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First personal experience with homophobia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PharmGirl, Jun 30, 2014.

1. PharmGirl

Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I'm taking Psych 101 over the summer and today was the first day of the course.
    For those who missed my last post, I just dyed my hair rainbow (see avatar), and I love it. The fact that I'm rocking Pride in my hair was an afterthought, not the driving reason.

So I'm sitting in the front row of my class, next to a nice Lebanese woman, and the woman sitting behind me says, very loudly, "Isn't that funny! The Lebanese and the lesbian sitting together!"
    I ignored it, trying to avoid a scene, but the rest of the class she kept making comments about me or "my people."

Anything I said, she had a reason why I was wrong. Every time the professor said something about sex, sexuality, religion, etc. it was met with a response from her about how everybody else was wrong in their opinion because "it's against her religion."

By the time we went on break I was shaking so bad I couldn't even get my lighter to work. She was so obvious in her digs at me that the other students were talking about how I should file a complaint with the school and coming to my defense. Even my professor had it with her remarks.

When we were leaving, she finally talked to me directly and asked me how I expected to be a doctor with crazy coloured hair. So I told her, "Well, when people are dying they really don't care what colour hair you have or what you do behind closed doors. All they care about is whether or not you can save them. And if, after I save their life, they want to judge me for those things, it's fine with me. Their insurance is still going to pay me whether I'm against their religion or not."
    I thought my professor was going to pee himself.

Not gonna lie, I feel like shit now that I'm out of the situation and looking back on it. My mom tried to make me feel better about it, but at the end of the day it still stings because that's the first time I've ever really felt personally attacked about my sexuality and it happened in front of my entire class. :icon_redf

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    (*hug*) Props to you for standing up for yourself.

There's a huge difference between something being against your religion and being an asshole. If I were you, I'd file a complaint. Either way, it looks like your professor and some classmates have got your back :thumbsup:

3. juliegt6

Honestly file the complaint. It's one thing to make a slightly off color remark, apologize and move on, but she's vicious and antagonizing. It sounds like your professor and classmates have your back, so I'd file.

My first experience with homophobia/transphobia, I was lucky that the harassers were slow and I got away to my car and left quickly. But they're why I have a ccw now, not that a weapon fixes things, or makes it less likely to happen again. Luckily I pass as straight most of the time, and have no issues passing as female nowadays.

4. Data

Data Guest

I'd file a complaint too. Just so it's on record if she offends again and someone else is the target. There's a paper trail.

Also, good on you for carrying a concealed weapon. I carry as well, and while I don't want anything to happen I will handle anything that comes my way. Most people will think twice about calling someone a fag when they have the barrel of a gun between their disgusting, homophobic teeth. I consider it a must for all LGBT queer folk to know how to defend themselves.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the others; file a formal complaint and shut that asshole up for good.