1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you find beauty contests offensive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Jun 30, 2014.

?

Do you find beauty contests offensive?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2014.
  1. Yes - very much offended

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. More offended than not

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. Mixed - about 50:50

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Minimally offended

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  5. Not offended at all

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  6. Write-in your answer

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Suddenly, there are beauty pageant controversies in both Delaware and Florida here in the United States. This sort of thing seems meaningless relative to famine, disease, and war but, at the same time, it raises issues with accuracy, accountability, behind the scenes politics, and other serious concerns. In one case, a college scholarship is at stake. I'm not following all of the details because I'm sort of miffed at this system.

So, per the poll, what do you think of beauty contests or pageants, in the traditional sense in which the contestants are young, single women from a fairly tight age range?

2. AlamoCity

What a coincidence. My dad just got asked to be a judge at one of the local beauty pageants not one hour ago :lol:. He's actually getting his bio written (for when they present the judges and give some background of them).

I will say that beauty pageants have a very exploitative effect in the sense that "beauty" is very narrow. You will find women whose BMI score is withing a narrow range; you will find that most of the women picked for the "regular" pageants (e.g. NOT "Miss Black USA) are either white, or, if not white, are mixed and have some Caucasian features. You will almost sense that they are picking the perfect "bride" to win (the one who is beautiful, intelligent, resourceful, yet polite, graceful, and submissive, and knows her place in society).

However, it is getting better because now many of the pageant contestants are more educated and pursue careers in the sciences (as well as the arts) and actually do seem to have "brains" and "beauty."

That said, I really don't care so much for beauty pageants because, well, I'm gay. They could strut naked down the catwalk and I wouldn't bat an eye.

3. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly, most American beauty pageants don't have women who are my type.
    Now, if we're talking about Thailand, on the other hand...

This isn't really my field of interest, so I don't care as long as it's not a child pageant.
    (That "honey boo boo" girl, though, is actually quite sweet.)

4. White Knight

I find today's beauty concept wrong. It leads young boys and girls to torture themselves just to feel accepted. In more horrible cases they do it for staying in their occupation (singer, actors or models).

I always thought Beauty Peagants out of that torture but after watching Beyonce's video, I don't get offended but find what is going one inhumanly. :frowning2:

[YOUTUBE]LXXQLa-5n5w[/YOUTUBE]

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends how they're run. If they're entirely full of long straight-haired blonde white girls between 18-22 with so little fat that they look like a thinly-canvassed skeleton, I'm probably going to have a problem with that. Demographics like that don't just "happen" - they almost always come from deliberate exclusion.

If they show a more realistic picture of humanity, especially a positive, smiling, friendly one, I'll be more open to them.

6. Nikky DoUrden

I don't find any reason for such a thing.
    Main argument is making other girls feel bad about their looks. why not have a "smarty" contest where girls contest for being the smartest girl?

7. blacklipstick

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I find it offensive.
    The problem with beauty pageants is that it is practically an unrealistic, judgmental, sexist exploitation of girls (all ages) competing to be crowned the most attractive and charming feminine. every time I have seen and watched a beauty contest all the women are so stereotypical fake and it is degrading to the every-day women, and can also degrade the women in the contest. I would respect beauty pageants more if it was based on the real, natural beauty of women, like a viarity girls whether they be chubby, curvy or skinny, scarred, pasty skin, tanned or covered in freckles, while wearing not so glamorous, casual but elegant dresses which don't have to be so revealing and make up that doesn't drastically mask a woman's face. It should be embracing the beauty of the woman's body, but instead it degrades and inappropriately labels what a feminine woman is. Women aren't blond curled, cake faced, anorexic barbie dolls that flash their flesh. (This is based on what I have seen and heard in beauty contests)

8. awesomeness

I don't see the problem with it at all.

Forcing really young kids to be in them is another issue though. But if you're an adult and you enjoy competing in pageants, then great! I don't how that's a negative thing.

9. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I just find them silly.

Happy days :slight_smile:

10. LiquidSwords

Young girls being judged on their physical beauty by pervert old men, yeah they're pretty appalling.

11. tulipinacup

I actually wonder myself. Why do we have Beauty Pageants to begin with?

12. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In terms of the adult version, they do seem to portray a rather narrow view as to what beauty is. I don't watch them, so they don't really effect me. While it is not exactly the same thing, the narrow concept of beauty is also prominently portrayed in companies like Victoria Secret. I've seen so many people compare themselves to the rather ridiculous standards that this brand puts out. So, many of them are willing/wishing to be able to fit into these standards. It's very sad. There really needs to be more of an effort to show how diverse humans can be and that the concept of beauty is a very subjective one.

In regards to the ones for children, I think that are absolutely disgusting. The children are being sexualised. The nature of the shows is very perverse. I really think that they should be banned and the kids removed from the care of such irresponsible adults.

13. kem

kem

Children's beauty pageants are a terrible idea.

Adults' on the other hand is fine. The contestants know what they are getting into.

14. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

They teach young girls to have negative body image, and the ones for children are sick and disgusting.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I voted more offended than not.

On the plus side:
    - they are interesting to watch to see the different appearances, the mini biographies, and any sort of talent show or question & answer session (impromptu is not easy)

On the negative side:
    - it is shallow - we can all be shallow, but this is a bit much
    - I'd bet there is a bunch of cattiness, jealousy, and ill feelings, especially for close misses (runner ups)
    - it promotes a standard of what is an ideal appearance - there is already a lot of that among various groups in the U.S.
    - we will never know what behind the scenes shenanigans take place

I may watch one now and then. On a more recent one, I saw the line up and thought Miss Connecticut should win, based on looks, and she actually did. That was a first. Of the handful I think should be the five semi-finalists, one might make it to that point, so I'm rarely in synch with the judges! However, if I don't watch a pageant, I don't feel like I've missed anything. Also, I, too, wonder about the origins of this tradition and why it even keeps going.

Also, there are girls and women who routinely go for this beauty contest and that beauty contest. That's how they organize their year(s). Now that is both excessive and narcissistic the way I see it.

#15 Tightrope, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  16. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Incase Hollywood is failing, its to remind people looks is everything.

17. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find them offensive... And quite depressing. There are all these gorgeous girls then there's me looking like this :frowning2: it also sets guidelines, like... Blonde hair, blue eyes, not too fat, not too thin. I fail all of this. I have brown hair, brown eyes, I'm too thin (I've been told I look ugly because I'm so thin) and basically a fail at being pretty. And it just feels like beauty pageants are there to rub the salt into the wound.

18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really like beauty pageants not only because a considerable chunk of it is luck of the draw, but because it still seems like objectification. Yes they have to work hard and showcase the results of that effort, but it's all in an effort to be the most appealing to others. Not that it doesn't work, because those women are incredible :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but it's not a practice I'd like to continue.

RainbowLioness, people say you're ugly for being too thin? My gf is 5'7", 100 lbs. soaking wet. I don't know your physique but while she is skinny to the point of having trouble finding clothes that fit properly, I find she's quite attractive. Not to mention you're 14, so there is plenty of time and growth to come. :slight_smile:

19. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd rather go to a dog show than a beauty pageant, any day.

Much more variety, and far better tempered contestants.

20. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's pointless & stupid. People need to find something useful and meaningful to do.